FM9 Maiden live performance with FM9s

Not sure if it is considered bad form to plug a livestream. It's not a recording YET, but will be soon, so it seems appropriate. But if not, moderators please delete this thread.

My Iron Maiden tribute band (Peace of Mind, in Minnesota) is playing a Halloween livestream tonight at 8 central. If anyone would like to check it out, it will be at https://fb.me/e/1lma3QqC6, and is free.

Our other guitarist and I will both be using our new FM9s for the first time live. I previously used an AxeIII, and our other guitarist has upgraded from his Ax8. I briefly flirted with the QC, but the Fractals suit me much better, and I don't think we've ever sounded better.

If you're curious to see if it'll be worth your time, I've previously posted a few songs from last years' Halloween livestream in the AxeIII recordings section of the forum. We also have a number prior livestream and in-person performance videos on our Facebook and YouTube pages.

Nice! I assume this will be available on YT after the fact? You guys do a great job \m/
Thanks! The recording should be automatically available to watch on Facebook even after the stream -- at least that's how it's worked in the past. As for YouTube, we'll definitely post in some form or another. Not sure if we'll post the whole thing at once, or just a song at a time spread out a little. We're still trying to get a handle on what works best.

Have only had the chance to listen to a song and a half so far. Sound tight man.

I'm in a suburb of Mpls. I'll have to come check out a show if you guys have local gigs coming up.

Thanks for the kind words, it is greatly appreciated! Also nice to see some fellow Minnesotan's in here! Hopefully we'll get to meet in person at a show some time.

That was outstanding! You guys rocked that out super tight🤘 Your Maiden tones are seriously on point. My “heavy” classic rock cover band does Wasted Years and Run to the Hills (possibly Number of the Beast next) and I just can’t seem to nail a perfect Maiden tone on my FM3. I switched to a JMP-1 and I’m getting closer, but nowhere near what you guys are putting out. Are you using JMPs? What IRs? Thanks for sharing this awesome stream, and any advice you may have for that tone, and keep rockin’ the Maiden!

That was outstanding! You guys rocked that out super tight🤘 Your Maiden tones are seriously on point. My “heavy” classic rock cover band does Wasted Years and Run to the Hills (possibly Number of the Beast next) and I just can’t seem to nail a perfect Maiden tone on my FM3. I switched to a JMP-1 and I’m getting closer, but nowhere near what you guys are putting out. Are you using JMPs? What IRs? Thanks for sharing this awesome stream, and any advice you may have for that tone, and keep rockin’ the Maiden!
Thanks! Although we're all pretty happy with our tones and overall sound, if I'm honest I don't think it is a particularly "authentic" reproduction of Maiden's album tones. So far, we haven't really spent much time trying to replicate their tones per se, but more getting something with a similar vibe that seems to work for us. We might try dialing in some more authentic tones in the future, though.

With that being said, I'm currently using the Mark IV model for everything but cleans, which I'm using the Lonestar for. I've used the JMPre and the Friedman HBE in the past, both of which also worked well. For cabs, I'm using using a 50/50 mix of an Ownhammer 412 MRBW GNR (specifically, the JPL [i.e., "John Petrucci Live"] variation) and a York Audio MES 212 V30 (Mix 12). I settled on that from some trial and error, and isn't necessarily the holy grail (and, again, not necessarily authentically Maiden), but it sounds good with lots of different amps and fits well in our mix.

For our other guitarist, I'm not certain but I think he said he was using the JMPre (I know he has used that in the past with his Ax8), although I think he has also used the Brit Pre and some of the FAS models (I think the FAS Hot Rod) previously as well. I have no idea what cab IRs he is using currently.

Hope that helps!

I just clicked the link looks like it's going to replay in a few minutes?
A recording of the full stream should be available at any time when you click the FB link. The timer that runs at the beginning is something we added at the start of the live performance, just to let live viewers know that the stream is working and we'll be starting soon (we like to give about 5-10 minutes for stragglers to log in before we start). But anyone watching after the actual live performance can skip past that (or freely skip around the whole thing however they wish).

Thanks! Although we're all pretty happy with our tones and overall sound, if I'm honest I don't think it is a particularly "authentic" reproduction of Maiden's album tones. So far, we haven't really spent much time trying to replicate their tones per se, but more getting something with a similar vibe that seems to work for us. We might try dialing in some more authentic tones in the future, though.

With that being said, I'm currently using the Mark IV model for everything but cleans, which I'm using the Lonestar for. I've used the JMPre and the Friedman HBE in the past, both of which also worked well. For cabs, I'm using using a 50/50 mix of an Ownhammer 412 MRBW GNR (specifically, the JPL [i.e., "John Petrucci Live"] variation) and a York Audio MES 212 V30 (Mix 12). I settled on that from some trial and error, and isn't necessarily the holy grail (and, again, not necessarily authentically Maiden), but it sounds good with lots of different amps and fits well in our mix.

For our other guitarist, I'm not certain but I think he said he was using the JMPre (I know he has used that in the past with his Ax8), although I think he has also used the Brit Pre and some of the FAS models (I think the FAS Hot Rod) previously as well. I have no idea what cab IRs he is using currently.

Hope that helps!
Awesome. Thanks so much! I’m going to play with those settings within my current Maiden preset and see how it goes. Cabs make such a huge difference. I’m always swapping speakers around with my real Friedmans. At least within the Fractal it’s almost instantaneous. It could be as simple as a cab swap or a mix of two like yours to do the trick. Great tones!! Thanks again and keep rockin’ that Maiden🤘

Back
Top Bottom