Bug? Magic 8 ball in 8.01

I usually tune with the arrows and set up my intonation with the 8 ball ! Do they really have to perfectly sync?I really have difficulty with understanding why the minority here can't simply ignore one or the other!
The problem is, which one do you trust? Is the 8-ball right, or is the straight line right?

FWIW, I have the same problem as the OP. The 8-ball and the line agree with each other most of the time, but not always. When they don't agree, the difference is small but audible.

many times it isn't about what you say as much as how you say it!
+1000.

I feel like a string will forever waver and never have a perfect tuning. So the ball and arrows will probably always move and/or not match exactly.

Maybe I'll try a oscillator through it with a perfect pitch and I bet both would be solid.

The speed of rotation has not changed.

Since the expansion of the universe is slowing and the rotation of the earth is slowing isn't it possible that this is having an effect on the Magic 8 Ball and it is slowing as well? The OP may have the ability to perceive change that is imperceptible to the rest of us?

Since the expansion of the universe is slowing and the rotation of the earth is slowing isn't it possible that this is having an effect on the Magic 8 Ball and it is slowing as well? The OP may have the ability to perceive change that is imperceptible to the rest of us?

AxeFX 3... an atomic clock inside.

hellokittypoptarts.jpg

I don't think the OP showed any signs of complaining and was just reporting a bug he is experiencing to find out if it is a bug or an issue w/ his AF2. The thing I don't like is that not one person on here asked any troubleshooting questions like how did you do your last FW update? Did you use AE, MIDIOX or some other application? Did you try rolling back your FW to confirm? Have you tested against a real strobe tuner and w/ a sine wave?

Update: I forgot to include this when I 1st posted but maybe the 8 ball tuner should be included in the manual? I've personally never seen an 8 ball tuner before so you can't expect anyone to know how to use it if it's not in the manual. I figured out how to use it bc I like to tinker w/ stuff. I ran sine waves thru it though to figure out how it worked.

What if this poor guy really does have a legitimate bug but only w/ his AF2? What if his FW update file was corrupt or the FW update some how got corrupt when sending it to his AF2? What if he goes to turn on his AF2 today and other things start to malfunction or it won't even power up?

A good example is when Cakewalk/Roland recently released SONAR X2 for download. Many people had problems w/ one of the install files, so Cakewalk uploaded a new file w/ a new hash, so everyone could verify if they have the corrected file. I had no issues w/ the original file and installed it on 3 different PC's (Test, laptop and desktop). The strange thing was only the zip file hash changed but all its content files all still had the same hash as the original.

I have seen tons of posts on here about the noise gate. Some were legitimate bugs, complaints, wishes, newbie questions and people who have clearly not read the manual. I really hope FA doesn't plan to remove all the noise gates or buy plane tickets to go visit customers to rough them up. I know FA was being sarcastic but they have to be very careful about bullying. A local woman where I live just got over $1,000,000 for being bullied by some stupid kids calling her names. She is now happily retired.

I really just hope FA was having a bad day or they may want to seek counseling for their issues w/ 8 ball tuners and bass amp modeling ;-)

I have to say I was really nervous about buying a proprietary device like this bc I have had lots of gear malfunction in the past but it all could be repaired locally or shipped back to the manufacturer. Now after reading this post I have to be concerned about losing valuable functions w/o even dropping my gear or spilling a drink on it :-( I wonder if the 8 ball tuner was removed would we start to see FW hacks like we do for cell phones, computers and gaming systems?

Last edited:
Now after reading this post I have to be concerned about losing valuable functions w/o even dropping my gear or spilling a drink on it :-( I wonder if the 8 ball tuner was removed would we start to see FW hacks like we do for cell phones, computers and gaming systems?
You are now actually strongly contributing to this ever happening :roll
* you don't have to change firmware, so drop the dropping fears
* you were not promised dozens of awesome goodies, just that updates would be free. So it seems logical to me that the maker can take something back if it's made clear it's not functioning perfectly on all units. Whether this has happened, I'm not sure this time... But you could give someone a break once in a while when it seems a sensitive point :| You seem pretty new, so you probably don't know much history.

Knowing Cliff, he may indeed take it back... and replace it with something even better :eek:

I JUST used the tuner on the Axe-II for the first time because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about regarding the "Magic 8 Ball". (Reading Keith Richards book "Life" now so this seems even more relative). I'm a stickler for accurate tuning and me and my Suhr really love a good true strobe tuner. I've had several very reputable brands in the last few years and have went back to my trusted "Sonic Research Turbo Tuner" for its accuracy. It was also recommended by John Suhr as being a good tuner for setting intonation.

Well, after checking the Magic 8 Ball I can say it kicks major butt! VERY, VERY accurate! I know we all have different tastes and that's fine. But the measure of a good tuner is not an opinion. It either is or it isn't based on sound, scientific/engineering principles. Therefore, I a, comfortable saying that someone can not like the M8B based on aesthetics, but if you can't get you geetar in tune with it, you're just not using it correctly.

Personally, I like everything about. Wish it would display like that on my MFC.

Back
Top Bottom