Made the jump: RJM MMGT/22! (And the learning experience)

I'm thinking about buying an RJM. Their approach seems more to my liking. Does it read preset names and block states from the Axe-FX III like it does on the II?

Last edited:
I'm thinking about buying an RJM. Their approach seems more to my liking. Does it read preset names and block states from the Axe-FX III like it does on the II?

Not yet as far as I know, but it will be worked on with high priority when RJM gets whatsamacallit some tech specs from Fractal in order to get same features as for AXE-FX II currently.

I just ordered the GT/16. I've been watching these and all related threads for a while, and figured why not give it a shot and see what this thing can do. I'll keep my MFC-101 for a while, and I'm still on the FC waiting list. It's good to have options.But I feel pretty good about this after seeing so many success stories with getting these set up even without the integration.

Wish they would get the spec out... rehearsal yesterday was kind of a chore without the states of the effects showing, scenes etc. more shit to remember.

Wish they would get the spec out...
Yap, same thoughts here but Ron mentioned its most likely will not happen soon, unfortunately...

The 22 is the ultimate board available now, price is a little pocket abuse but that’s what quality, abilities and service cost and I'm very happy I did that switch to the 22 back then.
Lucky (or not, depends) I'm currently not gigging so I can wait.

Congrats for the purchase Rick, a great product to par with the muscled III, a midi board that can actually serve all the Axe flexibility at your feet.

Any more thoughts on the MMGT now that it has the AXE III firmware? Especially from those that have the MMGT and are beta testers of the FC.

I made up my mind to get the 3, been playing a Helix LT for a couple years now. I use it full FRFR to FOH with IEMs at church, and into a SD 170 into a cab or two for my rock band. The L6 has me sold on the quality of modeling these days. But, the routing, multiple ins and outs, and huge amp selection have me gassing for the AXE. The idea of 4 channels per most blocks (basically 8 amps per preset if you want), and to set up out 1 no cab and out 2 with a cab for each preset would make it a more flexible. I get along fine with the LT delays and reverbs, but I used to have the FX8 V1, and the it was the best delays and verbs I have personally used.

I also use the LT (and I have the HX effects I use on one pedal board too) in 4 cable with midi controlling my Diezel or CA OD3. Though, I could see selling those since they are modeled in the AXE FX.

I have studied up on the Voes, MC6, and LF+ controllers, but the MMGT seems to be king of all, even at it's much higher price point. Leaning towards a GT10 or 16. Getting the Voes to hold me over until the FC12 is out is an option, but I bet I could just use the LT or HX in the same way with a little more thought going into the programming.

I have some Fractal expression pedals I want to use with MMGT-22. Where’s the best place to get a custom length reverse polarity TRS cable? I’m thinking I need right angle connectors on each.

I have some Fractal expression pedals I want to use with MMGT-22. Where’s the best place to get a custom length reverse polarity TRS cable? I’m thinking I need right angle connectors on each.
Just flip tip and ring on any off the shelf TRS cable? I use Monoprice for my TRS cables for pedals. Cheap. Durable.

Updating the experience... now many months and gigs in I wanted to add that the MMGT has been failure-free and great to use. Since this thread was last updated by me, the midi spec from Fractal was released and RJM has posted several beta firmwares and a release version for the Axe FX III that includes bi-directional communication and all of the feature enhancements that brings on board. There are several videos available on the RJM forum site to show what is happening now:

Video #1:
Video #2:

I have ordered the dual input power interface adapter so I will be able to keep using the single 7 pin midi cable to the MMGT to get power and bi-directional data, and will use two short 5 pin midi cables and the RJM power supply inside the ATA case that carries the Axe FX III. I've had several gigs that made me not want to experiment with beta software on, so I decided to wait out the finalized release version and arrival of the adapter before moving on to the new firmware and a reprogramming of the MMGT to the "new normal." Hope to add that update before long, depending on the arrival date of the adapter.

I thought I should mention that Yek has kept the wiki page up on this, including the initial setup of the MMGT and Axe FX III to work together. Thank you, Alexander!

I will check iaresee's suggestion of Monoprice (https://www.monoprice.com/) but have used Bestronics in the past with good results (https://btpa.com/).

Last edited:
I've been using the MMGT-16 for a while now. I couldn't be happier. It was a pricey investment but I love the form factor, flexibility, intuitive editor and product support. If Fractal had been prompt with the release of the FC i might not have gone this direction. I'm glad it turned out this way.

Last edited:
I too pulled the trigger on the MMGT 16. I was out of town, so didn't get to mess with it until yesterday. Took me awhile to sort it out, even with the Axe3 firmware. I got my main buttons assigned for 2 pages though, and it works great, far more powerful than I can wrap my mind around at this point, but I will get there. I need to re-read the manual to figure out hoe to program the IA mode, right now it just shows my page one with the presets missing in IA mode. I love the simplicity of the basics on setting up the MMGT, I was up and going quickly, and have and idea of the workflow I need for this combo.

Used the Axe3 and MMGT at rehearsal last night. New to the Axe, so I need to dial it in a little, but I'm already super happy with the tone. It might take a little more time to program than my Helix, but that's mainly because of how much deeper it goes on the parameters. My band mates loved the tone too. I'm running it out 1 no cab into a SD PS170 into a closed 1x12 with a Cream Alnico. Then out 2 with IR of that cab to the board. I need to spend some time with out 2 into my studio monitors to really dial in the FRFR tone though.

Back
Top Bottom