Made my first preset today...

dmedlock

Let’s just say it wasn’t all that bad...for a first try. 😅

I was trying to emulate Dokken’s “In My Dreams”, so I started with the Plexi 100 1970 amp boosted by a Super OD, one of the 1960A 4x12 cabs, added the North Church Reverb and the Analog Stereo Chorus and then started tweaking things...

@2112 videos and tutorials were helpful but when all was said and done it still sounded kind of dull, for a lack of a better word...almost like there was a thin blanket over the speakers. After an hour of tweaking things, I just went ahead and saved the preset and decided to try some more things with it at a later date.

I will say this thing is quickly becoming highly addictive and I’m sure eventually I will be making some killer presets. The FM3 sure makes me wish I was a better guitarist though 😅

Last edited:
1 what are you listening through?
2 post your preset here, smart people will likely figure out what’s up
3 make sure you learn gain staging

Playing through headphones right now, HD280’s.

Sorry for the dumb question, but how does one post a preset?

In my limited experience (I've only had the FM3 for a couple days now) I find that all the presets sounded amazing through headphones without tweaking, but kind of dark, blanket over the speaker through my studio monitors. When creating my own patches, the dark/muffled/blanket over the speaker sound is highly dependent on the Master Volume of most amps. When you're playing with some gain, often times you have to pull back the MV and compensate with the output level or put a drive pedal in front as a clean boost. You can also use the boost feature on the preamp tab of your amp block.

Thanks, I’ll experiment with the MV and see how that changes things. I left the MV at the stock setting on this preset.

Before you start monkeying with amp settings and whatnot, dark muffled sounds are often a product of not having monitors loud enough. I find when I crank up the volume, all of my muffled blanket problems go away due to the Fletcher Munson curve. If you can't or don't want to increase the volume, fiddle with the global EQ or put in a GEQ block at the end to boost the highs and lows.

I had a pair of those. After they were stolen I tried a bunch more and realized that the Sennheiser hd280 wasn’t very good.

You can edit your post and click “Attach files”.

Keep tweaking. I recently found my first few presets that I initially thought weren't that bad ... they were unusable, LOL! In general, a patch needs more mids, more treble/presence, less gain and less bass. I like brighter IRs, too.

The good news is the more you tweak, you'll find what works for you and it won't take long. If possible, record your results into a DAW. Try soloing the tones but also record into a mix with a layer or 2 of guitar, bass (if you have one), drum track (like in Garageband, etc.). The patches that don't sound the best alone often sound best in a mix and is of course dependent on what else is in that mix. Listen critically. Then listen a few days later, a week later. If it still sounds good, you're on the right path although you'll probably keep refining your patches as time goes on. But the tweaks will get smaller.

Good luck and have fun.

Keep tweaking. I recently found my first few presets that I initially thought weren't that bad ... they were unusable, LOL! In general, a patch needs more mids, more treble/presence, less gain and less bass. I like brighter IRs, too.

The good news is the more you tweak, you'll find what works for you and it won't take long. If possible, record your results into a DAW. Try soloing the tones but also record into a mix with a layer or 2 of guitar, bass (if you have one), drum track (like in Garageband, etc.). The patches that don't sound the best alone often sound best in a mix and is of course dependent on what else is in that mix. Listen critically. Then listen a few days later, a week later. If it still sounds good, you're on the right path although you'll probably keep refining your patches as time goes on. But the tweaks will get smaller.

Good luck and have fun.
I think this is excellent advice. I've had my FM3 for a few weeks and it is getting quicker and easier to find sounds I like. "In the mix" has been very important for me, so I try to get to that point quickly with an preset I'm working on. I've found that I can tweak endlessly when playing solo and discover when I play with whatever track I'm working with I have to make a lot of changes. Usually, I find I like a warm, clean-ish tone when just noodling solo, but in most mixes I need more bite and distortion, and it can handle more delay or other effects that I didn't care for when playing solo.

Back
Top Bottom