macOS Catalina

Everything works great with Catalina, provided you don’t need to run 32bit apps as Catalina is a 64bit only OS.

Reactions: dB
Everything works great with Catalina, provided you don’t need to run 32bit apps as Catalina is a 64bit only OS.

As mentioned in my post further up the thread - also be aware that some hardware needs specific drivers (eg my eMagic Unitor MIDI interface) and if it's fairly old technology, like my Unitor, there may NOT be a 64-bit driver available. But my Unitor is working perfectly, and so upgrading to Catalina - for me, at least - would require not just scrapping several plugins and apps, but also some hardware.

As mentioned in my post further up the thread - also be aware that some hardware needs specific drivers (eg my eMagic Unitor MIDI interface) and if it's fairly old technology, like my Unitor, there may NOT be a 64-bit driver available. But my Unitor is working perfectly, and so upgrading to Catalina - for me, at least - would require not just scrapping several plugins and apps, but also some hardware.

Of course I am assuming there is no specific HW with specific drivers. As far as Axe-FX III, AxeEdit and Fractal Bot are concerned they all work flawlessly.

Reactions: dB
I’ve been issue-free on Catalina for a couple months now. Granted, I started on a fresh platform when I bought a refurbished iMac, but everything has worked fine without issue. I have the occasional USB drop-out when I let the computer go to sleep, but that’s happening all over the place and can’t be confined to Catalina.

The only odd thing that popped up 2 weeks ago is when my computer goes to sleep and my AxeFX is still on, I get this high pitched frequency coming out of the studio monitors. Not sure where it came from as I don’t have auto-update enabled and I don’t think I currently have an update waiting to be installed.

I had used Big Sur Beta's, 1&2 were just fine. beta 3&4 both had plugins not work, not even the manufacturer show up in Logics plugin manager despite being in the Components folder and working with Catalina and the first 2 betas. One group of plugs all work but one from another manufacturer. No solution, not sure as those plugs have had recent updates. There’s no beta 5 yet, but first time I reverted back to Catalina. As always, backup backup backup.
Ax8 edit worked, no problema.

I had used Big Sur Beta's, 1&2 were just fine. beta 3&4 both had plugins not work, not even the manufacturer show up in Logics plugin manager despite being in the Components folder and working with Catalina and the first 2 betas. One group of plugs all work but one from another manufacturer. No solution, not sure as those plugs have had recent updates. There’s no beta 5 yet, but first time I reverted back to Catalina. As always, backup backup backup.
Ax8 edit worked, no problema.

I've been delaying upgrading to Catalina for just this reason. Which brands of plugins are you having problems with?

Spectrasonic was gone, Fabfilter FFpro3 (the rest were fine) Zynaptiq Adaptaverb, some others I don’t use often. Those are my meat an potatoes go to.
So back to Catalina and no problems with it On the latest

I believe Catalina was the 32bit cut for software in Mac OS, previously in Mojave you would get a warning but it would still operate.
There shouldn't be anything in Big Sur that should cause any issues with an Intel Machine other than maybe security things (I bet is the issue).
Being a Beta there bound to be issues, I reported to both Apple and the plugin developers, give them a chance to investigate, although it could very well just be a beta issue. Beta 5 is out but I'm starting new songs, so I will not try again till later.
Always have a current bootable backup ready incase of a problem

Back
Top Bottom