macOS Catalina

dB

Inspired
I have resisted the upgrade to Catalina due to threads about issues with this OS. My main rig is a III, but I kept my II XL+ and a II for backup rigs. I am currently experiencing no issues with macOS Mojave.... is it safe to install the new OS, or should I just ignore the update notifications and stick with Mojave?

This is an impossibly hard question to answer. It depends entirely on what you need to keep working and what you're okay having break.

If you're worried about the Fractal editors and CoreAudio support for the III and FM3: everything works great. Whatever bugs are there seem to be with CoreAudio and only issues in limited cases (aggregate devices continue to be a terrible thing that never should have been set upon the world).

AX8-Edit is working fine for me here. So that's a good indicator that Axe-Edit for your XL+ will be just fine. I no longer own an XL+ so I can't say for certain. No doubt, someone who does will weigh in.

But, if you're happy, why mess with a good thing?

I have resisted the upgrade to Catalina due to threads about issues with this OS. My main rig is a III, but I kept my II XL+ and a II for backup rigs. I am currently experiencing no issues with macOS Mojave.... is it safe to install the new OS, or should I just ignore the update notifications and stick with Mojave?

Go to “About This Mac” and check if you have any 32 bit apps.

Reactions: dB
The surest way to fix that “problem” is to upgrade your OS.

it's not that simple. The only way to get security updates and fixes from old bugs (some of them quite remarkable) now is to upgrade the OS. For example thermal management is improved substantially which helps with the longevity of your machine. This is not a world anymore where you can keep the same OS release installed for 10 years.

i recently bought new mac and using catalina with my Axe II and Axe edit. I updated drivers and all works like it used to.

I’m still running Mojave on my primary studio Mac. But the Axe-FX III has a dedicated MacBook Pro sitting on top of it for Axe Edit, etc. – and it’s running Catalina.

No issues.

no problems with Catalina; she's kind of passive aggressive about updates every once in a while (there seems to be a weird cycle...) and a bit annoying with the hoops she makes me jump through trying to install software that she doesn't approve of, but usually she lets me get away with it in the end.

• Wow
it's not that simple. The only way to get security updates and fixes from old bugs (some of them quite remarkable) now is to upgrade the OS. For example thermal management is improved substantially which helps with the longevity of your machine. This is not a world anymore where you can keep the same OS release installed for 10 years.

The last time a new OS from Apple fixed more problems than it introduced was probably 10.9. Apple is still supplying security updates not only for Mojave, but High Sierra as well.

I'm not going to Catalina. I have far too many 32-bit things running, all of which work perfectly. That includes some hardware-related code, for example the driver for my Unitor MIDI interface. It all works now, so why break it? And as far as I know, there are no 64-bit drivers for the Unitor. I also have several 32-bit plugins, utilities, etc. And they all work. I'm even putting off buying a nice shiny powerful new iMac for the same reason - it comes with Catalina.

I'm currently very productive with the iMac I have, so the golden rule for me is - if it ain't broke, don't fix it...!

I should add that my iMac is almost 11 years old, and running High Sierra.

I guess the determining factor will be whether or not you have any 32-bit apps, plugins, or hardware-related drivers that can't be updated to 64-bit versions. That's basically the bottom line. Oh - not to mention if upgrading will actually give you anything that you can't currently do...

I'm running Big Sur beta on a Macbook Pro, but it's not my music computer. And my pre-subscription paid-for Photoshop stopped working, as incompatible. I am NOT going to move to Adobe's subscription plan - I've switched to Affinity Photo instead.

By coincidence I updated my Macs to Catalina today... all went smoothly and no issues with Axe sw nor Logic Pro X...

Back
Top Bottom