MacOS Catalina *WARNING* 64-bit Driver Coming Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why upgrade?
Better is the enemy of well

Not upgrading can sometimes be a choice, at least as long as the OS receives security updates, sure.
But finding a solution is still important. For instance, next year I'll buy a new computer and hand this one down to someone in my family. The new one will run Catalina, with no downgrade possible. So I can delay upgrading for a few months, but it won't make the problem go away.

I won't have time to test solutions before next week, but even if FA still refuses to update the driver, it can be made to work. Here are the solutions I'm going to test:

• Using Fracpad for macOS: not sure it's going to work, since its web site doesn't say whether it requires the driver or not (and every documentation only talks about iOS and Android, so the macOS version might be abandoned).
  • Using Fracpad for iOS: this should work, but it requires buying additional hardware (mostly cheap, though).
  • Using the Yahama MD-BT01 to communicate from macOS to the Axe. I don't think it'll work (the Axe requires the firmware, so it has to come from somewhere), but since I'll have bought the Bluetooth device anyway, it's worth a shot.
  • Installing Mojave in a VM: this should work, but it seems that installing macOS as a guest OS isn't always easy.
In every case, it'd mosty be just to get the firmware uploaded into the Axe-FX. Once it's done, Axe-Edit should be usable.
FracPad requires the driver for AxeFx II/XL/XL+
On iOS it requires midi interface or Yamaha md-bt01, this is valid for AxeFx II/XL/XL+ only

Thanks for your answer, AlGrenadine. Just to clarify a few details:

FracPad requires the driver for AxeFx II/XL/XL+

You mean on macOS, I assume? If so, using Fracpad in macOS isn't a solution for me.

On iOS it requires midi interface on Yamaha md-bt01, this is valid for AxeFx II/XL/XL+ only

On iOS, I assume that no driver is required (since it doesn't exist for this platform anyway). The Yamaha adaptor is in stock at Thomann's, so I'll buy it next week and run tests with Fracpad for iOS.

Out of curiosity, why is a driver necessary when communicating with macOS, but not with iOS? Is it because, when using the Yamaha MD-BT01 or the Roland UM-One, the communication is done through MIDI and not USB?

Thanks for your answer, AlGrenadine. Just to clarify a few details:

You mean on macOS, I assume? If so, using Fracpad in macOS isn't a solution for me.

On iOS, I assume that no driver is required (since it doesn't exist for this platform anyway). The Yamaha adaptor is in stock at Thomann's, so I'll buy it next week and run tests with Fracpad for iOS.

Out of curiosity, why is a driver necessary when communicating with macOS, but not with iOS? Is it because, when using the Yamaha MD-BT01 or the Roland UM-One, the communication is done through MIDI and not USB?
Yes
Because on iOS you'll use it with regular midi interface (bluetooth or not)

Btw, with every other fasDevice, you can use USB on iOS, no driver and FracPad

In my case, I would not have upgraded had I known. The possibility that my AxeFx--the most stable and sophisticated piece of gear I own--would be harmed was not remotely on my radar screens. Audio plug-ins that cost $50-200 or something I could deal with.

And thinking about this overnight, I believe it is a reasonable expectation for Fractal to maintain their products. I know at some point they move forward, but my device is the IIXL+ which was until the III the flagship product.

I wish I could understand Saki and AlGrenadine's posts about work arounds--but I am a songwriter/musician :) not an IT guy. I think I will contact customer service?

perhaps the best short term solution is What I suggested earlier in this thread,
(creating a APFS container on your boot drive, and install Mojave and axeedit, and your other essential music making apps on it....( I am doing the opposite, I kept my Mojave partition as is , and Installed Catalina on the new container..works fine for now...)....good luck.(i am thinking that FAS really will come thru soon on an updated driver_..)
I'm in this predicament -- upgraded to Catalina (10/8/19) Axe FX IIXL+ . Just downloaded most recent version of AxeExit (64bit) but of course it is not connecting to my unit.
This really blows...I have been using AxeFxs since the first ones a decade or so ago. I really like and need the Edit--and I purchased the IIXL+ right before the III came out so I have a significant investment in it and can't buy a III over an OS upgrade. Crestfallen:(

In my case, I would not have upgraded had I known. The possibility that my AxeFx--the most stable and sophisticated piece of gear I own--would be harmed was not remotely on my radar screens. Audio plug-ins that cost $50-200 or something I could deal with.

And thinking about this overnight, I believe it is a reasonable expectation for Fractal to maintain their products. I know at some point they move forward, but my device is the IIXL+ which was until the III the flagship product.

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, FA isn't responsible for Apple dropping 32-bits support in macOS. On the other hand, Apple started the transition ten years ago, and almost two years ago it was a known fact that it was ending soon. Two years ago, the Axe-FX II XL+ was still sold, and it isn't unreasonable to expect more than two years of software support for a product in this price range.

I wish I could understand Saki and AlGrenadine's posts about work arounds--but I am a songwriter/musician :) not an IT guy. I think I will contact customer service?

If you can, wait for a short while for the dust to settle. By then, solutions will have been tested, and clearer explanations will have been written down. Or, say, FA will wake up and announce that they're porting the USB driver that is the root cause of the problem. :)

Yes
Because on iOS you'll use it with regular midi interface (bluetooth or not)

Thank you very much. :) Does this mean that I could use a Mac instead of an iPad to communicate through the Yamaha or the Roland adaptors with the Axe? A tablet is nice, but a computer is more convenient, so that'd be great.

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, FA isn't responsible for Apple dropping 32-bits support in macOS. On the other hand, Apple started the transition ten years ago, and almost two years ago it was a known fact that it was ending soon. Two years ago, the Axe-FX II XL+ was still sold, and it isn't unreasonable to expect more than two years of software support for a product in this price range.

If you can, wait for a short while for the dust to settle. By then, solutions will have been tested, and clearer explanations will have been written down. Or, say, FA will wake up and announce that they're porting the USB driver that is the root cause of the problem. :)

Saki-

Yes, and thank you for the post. I am going to be optimistic that Fractal will fix the drivers.

BTW, I haven't tried to record yet, but I am going to assume my IIXL+ no longer will communicate with my Apogee Duet>GarageBand/Logic either on the same theory.

At least it makes noise:) . I can still play. That's something for the interim!

Thank you very much. :) Does this mean that I could use a Mac instead of an iPad to communicate through the Yamaha or the Roland adaptors with the Axe? A tablet is nice, but a computer is more convenient, so that'd be great.
Yes i guess so

This is fantastic news! Thank you for telling us, it will make everything a lot simpler for some people, including me. :D

All,

I've tested Beta 1 today but this driver still needs more work. We have a very specific thing to look at, and Google reveals that others are having similar issues. We'll talk to Apple if needed after we try one more approach. Tomorrow we'll build and test beta 2. Thanks for your patience meanwhile.

Mildly curious on how the download of the drivers will work, because, as I understand it, the IIXL+ cannot interface with anything due to said drivers not functioning in Catalina...
...will not stress...will not stress...
:)

Mildly curious on how the download of the drivers will work, because, as I understand it, the IIXL+ cannot interface with anything due to said drivers not functioning in Catalina...
...will not stress...will not stress...
:)
The “driver” is what you load on your computer to let the Operating System communicate with the Hardware, it’s not something you install on the hardware itself.

It will work by you installing it on your Mac, and then you Mac will once again interface with your II.

All,

I've tested Beta 1 today but this driver still needs more work. We have a very specific thing to look at, and Google reveals that others are having similar issues. We'll talk to Apple if needed after we try one more approach. Tomorrow we'll build and test beta 2. Thanks for your patience meanwhile.

Absolutely no rush. This isn’t about RIGHT NOW. It’s about the long term future. My plans for an upgrade in the next year or so can go ahead :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom