MacOS Catalina Core Audio Issue?

Variable

Inspired
Wondering if anyone can help with this issue. I frequently keep my production iMac on and shut off the Axe III at night. However, sometimes when I turn the Axe back on, it's detected by MacOS, but doesn't seem to be interfacing with Core Audio correctly. The only way to knock it out of its stupor is to reboot the Mac. I've even tried the terminal command to nuke Core Audio and reload it and that doesn't make any difference. The Axe appears in my DAW but is listed as not functional and doesn't play sound.

Anyone else run into this? Any solutions or ideas? Rebooting isn't the end of the world, but it's very annoying.

Wondering if anyone can help with this issue. I frequently keep my production iMac on and shut off the Axe III at night. However, sometimes when I turn the Axe back on, it's detected by MacOS, but doesn't seem to be interfacing with Core Audio correctly. The only way to knock it out of its stupor is to reboot the Mac. I've even tried the terminal command to nuke Core Audio and reload it and that doesn't make any difference. The Axe appears in my DAW but is listed as not functional and doesn't play sound.

Anyone else run into this? Any solutions or ideas? Rebooting isn't the end of the world, but it's very annoying.
I’ve had similar issues for some time now with this , mostly associated with using aggregate device, I’ve found that going into Audio Midi Utility and reselecting the III in the Audio Devices window Before opening your DAW can avoid a restart, unsure if your issue is the same...

My Mac running Catalina sometimes requires me to disconnect and reconnect USB devices, but it is always my webcam or my controller keyboard, never the Axe-Fx. Perhaps the difference lies in how/where things are connected.

Last edited:
USB-c to usb-a dongle gets finicky and I have to unplug directly from the usb-c slot in my MacBook Pro before it’s recognized again.

I’ve had similar issues for some time now with this , mostly associated with using aggregate device, I’ve found that going into Audio Midi Utility and reselecting the III in the Audio Devices window Before opening your DAW can avoid a restart, unsure if your issue is the same...
I've just created an aggregate device on my mac and have noticed the same behavior. I've used aggregate devices before and not experienced this. I've only seen this with the AxeFx. I've had to do the same thing go back into the aggregate device, untick the stale AxeFx device, select the "new" device, then everything is ok.

I'll give this a shot. I do have an aggregate device I set up a while ago, but I just removed it since it's not necessary for the moment and will test some more.

What's strange is that I hadn't actually been selecting that aggregate device. I was always selecting the Axe specifically.

Last edited:
Thi
I've just created an aggregate device on my mac and have noticed the same behavior. I've used aggregate devices before and not experienced this. I've only seen this with the AxeFx. I've had to do the same thing go back into the aggregate device, untick the stale AxeFx device, select the "new" device, then everything is ok.
exactly this

I have this issue sometimes. I just restart my Mac. In my case, sometimes a restart does not solve my issue, and I literally shut down fully, and power up again.

It's to the point that I sometimes do this if my computer has been on, but my Axe III has been off. I power down the iMac, boot up the Axe III and let it load fully, and then turn the imac back on again.

Haven't tried unchecking and rechecking the Axe III in my aggregate device, but I will try that next time it happens.

Have you tried unplugging and then replugging the USB cable? I have to do that whenever I turn off my Axe Fx but it works.
This. I have to do this on occasion if I leave logic open and my Mac sleeps and I shut the Axe off. If I remember and turn the Axe on prior to waking the Mac up it’s usually ok but sometimes I have to unplug and plug in the usb cable.

Following in case someone comes up with a good fix. I have to reboot for now.

Have you tried unplugging and then replugging the USB cable? I have to do that whenever I turn off my Axe Fx but it works.
This also worked for me. I was having to reboot prior to someone suggesting this in a different thread. Now I just unplug the USB cable and then plug it back in again. Still I hope this gets figured out and fixed at some point.

I have the same issue. Disconnecting USB and reconnecting reinitializes Core Audio and resolves the problem. Rather than wear out the USB port on my Mac or the Axe FX I connected a USB hub. That way if constantly reconnecting causes problems with the USB port I can just replace the ‘inexpensive’ USB hub.

By the way, this drives me nuts. I'd love to just turn on my Axe FX III and start playing without having to fiddle around unplugging and reconnecting USB cables.

Is this Core Audio bug an Apple OS issue? Or is it specific to Logic Pro X?

I'd love it if we could collectively tackle this and maybe go after Apple or something... I can't be the only one tired of this aggravation.

Same here. What I found is I have to unplug and plug it back in. This makes no sense because, electrically speaking, isn't turning the Axe off and on again the same thing?

It's not quite the same thing. Plugging/unplugging reenumerates the device, and that's the bit that's needed to get it to start working again (or at least that's true in my case). I wrote a little application to do that so I don't have to mess with the cable.

It's not quite the same thing. Plugging/unplugging reenumerates the device, and that's the bit that's needed to get it to start working again (or at least that's true in my case). I wrote a little application to do that so I don't have to mess with the cable.

Sounds neat. Is it something that needs to be manually executed every time you turn on the unit though? I think it's fantastic you came up with this but it would really be nice to go after the source of the problem. If it's an Apple issue we should collectively go after them on this. Strength in numbers. :)

By the way, I recall seeing another thread about this problem at one point. Perhaps we should merge them together to ensure all having this issue are aware.

Back
Top Bottom