MACKIE MR8 monitors - good choice with Axe Fx ultra or upgrage? Need advice

JohnRaptor

Inspired
I have a pair of new Mackie Mr8's and I got them last month. Last night I purchased an Axe Fx ultra and have decided to go the route of hooking the ultra up to my computer and playing direct thru my monitors. At this time I dont need a super loud setup and I am mostly into recording and playing at bedroom levels so I figured hooking my Ultra into my computer would be the best route for me at this time.

I was considering getting an atomic reactor and Carvin DCM200l poweramp but It may be a bit overkill for bedroom playing. I still might do that down the road a bit.

I'm thinking of using my Mackie MR8's but I am not sure they will allow me to realize the full potential of the Axe Fx Ultra. I heard that you need some real good monitors and should steer clear of smaller 'budget' monitors'. After a bit of research I see the Adam A7X are a top choice here and they look to be better than my Mackies but is it a noticeable difference or not? I dont know?

I would like some advice. I'm willing to upgrade my monitors and get something a bit higher end that will match my Ultra and allow it to reach its full potential if you more experienced people think it would be worth it. If I do upgrage my budget would be around $1200 total.

So what do you guys think? Keep the Mackies or upgrade?

im just an old tube amp guy that has recently converted to the axe for simplicity and light weight so take my opinion as an amateur. i am a basement player.

i looked into the adams and they seem very sweet, however after dumping 2000 dollars on the axe i could only afford 2 rcf 310-a's

i am a married man with kids and a mortgage. anyway i am soooooo blown away by the axe it is so inspiring.

honestly i think the axe will sound awesome with whatever u power it with within reason. just use what you have and upgrade when u have the money.

the 310s are a steal btw (i payed 900 new shipped with free stands and covers)and they have enough power to play loud if i want also they have a metal grate in front of the speaker to keeps the kiddies fingers out of my woofer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom