Mackie goes coax - new DLM series

Not a lot of info out there...but yes, they used to be affiliated.

For folks that know the older RCF ART200 and ART300 series....you can sometimes find them with a Mackie badge on the front.
Also the SRM450's used to be made in the RCF plant in Italy (then later were produced in China). You can find folks advertising Mackie SRM450's made in the Itialian factory as a 'superior' version.

Some chatter on the topic:
PA Advice - Basschat
I own two SRM450s made in Italy and they work 10 years flawlessly..Great Small PA sound :)

I tried lately one new PA system with class D power amp..And it was totally joke ! You have to divide this 2000 watts by 10..Actually in real life it's about 200 watts due to my experience..

Class D is just different. I don't know why the power ratings are on such a different scale. But in the end, especially with a powered speaker that's had the driver matched to the amp, who cares? If it has enough power to generate the volume you need and has enough headroom to handle spikes, it shouldn't really matter what the number is.

I have seen some say that they find class D harsh. I certainly have heard some speakers with class D amps that I felt that way about (QSC K12). But the much loved RCF NX (loved by me as well) is also class D, and it's not harsh at all. Maybe it'd sound even better with a different class amp, but given the RCF uses it, I solidly reject the statement that class D is a "joke."

Class D is just different. I don't know why the power ratings are on such a different scale. But in the end, especially with a powered speaker that's had the driver matched to the amp, who cares? If it has enough power to generate the volume you need and has enough headroom to handle spikes, it shouldn't really matter what the number is.

I have seen some say that they find class D harsh. I certainly have heard some speakers with class D amps that I felt that way about (QSC K12). But the much loved RCF NX (loved by me as well) is also class D, and it's not harsh at all. Maybe it'd sound even better with a different class amp, but given the RCF uses it, I solidly reject the statement that class D is a "joke."
I was just shocked that 2000 watts PA system with class D amps (I.Nova) was totally outpeformed by my old 1400 watt Mackie system(2xSRM450+SWA1500 subwoofer)..I paid a lot of money to replace my old Mackies,but had to return this crap back to shop..Sorry it was my experience with class D amps..Maybe it was just bad design..
Greetings,
jacek

I was just shocked that 2000 watts PA system with class D amps (I.Nova) was totally outpeformed by my old 1400 watt Mackie system(2xSRM450+SWA1500 subwoofer)..I paid a lot of money to replace my old Mackies,but had to return this crap back to shop..Sorry it was my experience with class D amps..Maybe it was just bad design..
Greetings,
jacek

Do you have a link to this "I.Nova" system that you are basing your opinion on?

Mackie Specs

I'm hovering over the idea of buying the DLM Series but like most people, A bit stand offish cause it's the all new digital speakers system that i don't think, have perfected yet...
On saying that, My back is over lugging heavy equipment... My current 4000 watt B52 set up (I've worked out) weighs over 300kg and that's just the pa gear, Not my personal music equipment, or the rest of the bands gear....

My little 700W B52 matrix pa, that i use for solo gigs, weighs 90kgs total and again, with out my personal music equipment

All my above gear is great, have owned the big setup for 8 years and the little one for 5 with out any problems and they are as good as any JBL or equivalent FOH speakers
i've been asked to turn the volume down on my matrix 1000 at venues

Does anyone own this new DLM speaker system or know any real flaws with it?

Download the DLM series manual and have a really good look at the specs, Cause I only see nothing but great stuff here....

125db clarity (sound pressure level) (awesome) average is 98db - My 700 pa is 102db and my 4000 watt is 127db

Though the DLM series does say that it is 2000 watt Peak RMS - (WTF) since when do they grade PA speakers in RMS, that's stereo talk
With my experience, divide the MAX RMS RATING by 2 and that's what you will want to run these speakers at over a 4 + hour gig WITHOUT overworking them and cause PROBLEMS

SO the DLM series speakers really are a 1000 watt speaker... but saying that.... 1000 watts through a 12" speaker that's light and compacted into a 1 foot cube cabinet..... .....
Still sounds blood awesome to me

1 x DLM 12" sub weighs 18kg - compared to My 1000 watt 18" B52 sub, weights 65kgs - that's 47 kgs of weight i wont have to carry anymore and the spec are almost the same
1 x DLM 12" top box weighs 14kg - My 1000 watt 2 x 15" and 3" horn weighs 64kgs - that's another 50kgs i don't want any more and again, close to the same specs

I'm 6 foot tall and weigh 85kgs - all 4 DLM speakers need will only weighs 64kgs total - the same weight as 1 of my top boxes and still lighter then my 700watt pa system, this means that i will only have to make 1 trip loading in for a gig instead of 4 with just speakers

I've just joined up and would love to hear anyone opinion on the NEW Mackie DLM series

Last edited:
Here is what it is in reality: https://www.session.de/out/pictures/master/product/2/Mackie_DLM_8_Aktiv_1.jpg

Look at the bottom left corner - it says 250W AC input power. This is a very common value of the power consumption of a power amp @ 1/8 of the maximum possible output power (this is equal to normal music signal without clipping). Since there is no class D amplifier and switched mode psu with efficiency grade equal 1, it's simply impossible to get 2000Watts out of a system that takes 2000Watts maximum from the electrical outlet.

cheers
Paco

Awesome response by crazytrainer the perfect blend of scepticism and realism. I almost bought into one of these, blinded by the 2000w jargon, how silly of me. Thank you kindly for bringing me back down to earth :)

Here is what it is in reality: https://www.session.de/out/pictures/master/product/2/Mackie_DLM_8_Aktiv_1.jpg

Look at the bottom left corner - it says 250W AC input power. This is a very common value of the power consumption of a power amp @ 1/8 of the maximum possible output power (this is equal to normal music signal without clipping). Since there is no class D amplifier and switched mode psu with efficiency grade equal 1, it's simply impossible to get 2000Watts out of a system that takes 2000Watts maximum from the electrical outlet.

cheers
Paco

Good point but this is the oldest trick in the advertising book of more has to be better. If you look at the manuel the published RMS rating is 500 wats @ (<1% THD) for both sections of the amp, 1000 watts. Do the math for the caps they used in the amp design and theoretically you can get 2000 watts of peak power for a second or so then poof! A good THD rating should be less than .1% at the given wattage. In reality these probably are closer to 200 watts RMS getting closer to that .1 THD rating... only the designer really knows.

I just spent 2 hours at the music store trying the dlm12 out and it amazed me so much that I ordered one from American musical. They have b stock in right now so the price is $689. I have bought lots of b stock gear and have never had a problem with them and with American musical you get an additional year of warranty free. These speakers really sound good

Back
Top Bottom