Machine Head - Davidian cover. Heavy 5150 on display.

kostein

Inspired
I think I have a new favorite amp model and that's the 5150. I've playing a lot with it lately and to check how it sounds in a fully mixed song I thought of doing a cover of Machine Head's Davidian. While I was at it I also thought of making a video; my first in years. It took me longer to put it together than it took me to record and mix this :lol: I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to making videos but I feel that this came out allright. Mind the "little drummer boy" parts :lol:

This was recorded with my EX360 which has an EMG81 in the bridge position. Tuning was Drop D and then pitch shifted 1.5 steps down with the pitch shifter. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make had I tuned the guitar to Drop B instead of using the pitch shifter. I'm just too lazy for this kind of stuff anyway 8) The lead parts were recorded with my RG1550M using a stock preset, #275 (Eddie something) IIRC and were also pitch shifted.

Drums are Superior Drummer 2.0 with the Metal Foundry addon.

Here's the preset :)

Attachments

• kostein-davidian.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Hilarious vid! Great recording too.

I don't know the original song but... Do you a favor: improve your vibrato :)

Hilarious vid! Great recording too.

I don't know the original song but... Do you a favor: improve your vibrato :)

WTF? Do yourself a favor and improve your english...

Anyway. I'm absolutely blown away by this. Sounds is incredible!! One of the best recordings I've heard on the forum. Seriously. I loved this tone. Sounded great double tracked. I was even more stunned to know that this was dropped tuned with the Pitch Block. Well fucking done mate!

Sounds brutal man. Been trying to match my modded 6505+ Since I got the Axe FX 2. This gives me hope that I can pull it off haha. Still a bit new to it

Horns up brother! One of my favorite Machine Head songs and you did an absolutely perfect job. Guitars sound amazing and the drums were right on.

I've been gravitating to the 6160 preset lately. I still have my 5150 head and was never completely satisfied with the 6160 model in the Axe Fx II until FW 6.0 came along. One of my favorites now.

Any chance you could share you patch?

BROOTLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds angry and has attitude... not my flavor of ice cream, but that's good stuff. Nuts that you tuned down with the pitch block and it sounds that good. Very cool.

Thank you peeps! I'm glad you like it. :D

I've added the preset I used on the OP for your brutality needs :twisted. Note that this might or might not sound as good as it sounds on the vid, depending on your rig. If it doesn't try tweaking it a bit until you hear something that you like.

Also here is a pic of the chain. It's really simple, kinda abides with the "less is more" rule, and it works. Proof that you don't need a lot to make something sound heavy/brutal. I'd chime in how I go about making high gain patches but I'll leave that for a different thread.

davidian-chain.JPG

This video is proof that you can put an EMG 81 in a $600 guitar and get amazing rhythm tone out of it. Brutal and tight. I'm completely shocked that this was pitch shifted. Nice work, my friend.

tried davidian today fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck its heavy and awesome. something in your setup just matches mine perfectly, good volume same eq response.! Heres my heavyass nevermore tm for fun. and some old patches that may need a bit of tweaking on v6

Thanks for the patch man!
Sorry that I can´t post any clip of this tone... all my time goes with my vibrato lessons since god has spoken :)

This patch has been my main player for a while now, at least for recording. I don't know why but it sounds really good in a mix. It keeps me from trying other amp models to see how good they are because it's so good :lol

Back
Top Bottom