MacBook or iMac

I have been running a 27" iMac for years...infact this current unit (late 2015 model!) replaced my 2010 model. My parents still use the 2010 everyday...amazing computer life. The only thing I have done with mine was bump the RAM up to 24GB a couple years ago. It should get me a few more years as I plan on going to the Apple Silicon next.

And yes, the iPads are exceptional mini recording machines....had so much fun with headphones, iPad, and the FM3 on a recent trip.

Mac mini M1 w/Logic Pro

(do not use Cubase with the M1 imho - sell it if you have it, and buy Logic Pro, its made/optimized for it - and its the only DAW ive had to date that hasn't crashed)

Mac mini M1 w/Logic Pro

(do not use Cubase with the M1 imho - sell it if you have it, and buy Logic Pro, its made/optimized for it - and its the only DAW ive had to date that hasn't crashed)
The latest Cubase 11 update is working fine for me. It's not native, but it's your plugins, not the DAW, that put the greatest load on your cpu. And very few 3rd party plugins are native at this point, so it doesn't matter much whether the DAW is native or not.

The latest Cubase 11 update is working fine for me. It's not native, but it's your plugins, not the DAW, that put the greatest load on your cpu. And very few 3rd party plugins are native at this point, so it doesn't matter much whether the DAW is native or not.
Glenn, you are without a doubt much more versed in these issues. However, I must respectfully disagree about Cubase. It was written in and for Windows 10, where as Logic Pro was rewritten for the M1 chip

Your point about VSTs is true, 3rd party plug in compatibility and native porting is still a ways to go, however, with that said, Cubase 11 will be taking more resources and over time - especially with more plug ins that may not be native - it will tax the CPU....

I am simply saying you are better off with Logic Pro if you can start fresh. as you know Glenn, I am a Steinberg enthusiast, I not only think they are the best programmers and coders, but I think they have been done an injustice not being recognized as the true forebears of the gold standard of modern recording (pro tools was given that, but to be fair, digidesign and pro tools back in the 90's is different than avid now) - so anyway

You are right, until everything is native, your going to run into a little extra CPU stress/load. However, using a native and optimized DAW versus using the Rosetta enabled cubase is not doing the m1 justice IMHO - one 3rd party plug in (which is the only non native Logic Pro plug in I use, XLN addictive drums 2) isn't going to tax it much at all - where as porting an entire DAW (especially one as vast and complete as Cubase 11) will cause extra overload, on top of whatever 3rd party plug in

So I don't mean to be contrary, especially because you know your stuff, but I think you might do yourself even a service by ditching cubase 11 and getting Logic Pro dude...I mean, you can sell it easily and still have enough for Logic Pro plus extra for a VST lol

I respect your input always @GlennO

In my business, I must use all the major DAWs everyday, so I won't be ditching any of them :). I'm merely pointing out Cubase works fine on the M1. There are many reasons why someone would switch from one DAW to another, but M1 native support probably shouldn't be one of those reasons right now.

The new M1 IMacs announced today are IMO very lust worthy. ..and the M1 chip on the IPad Pro may open some new doors for folk like @GlennO ....?
I have been a longtime Logic user, but recently have been trying Bitwig for it’s modular hardware integration , among other things....both work fine on M1

In my business, I must use all the major DAWs everyday, so I won't be ditching any of them :). I'm merely pointing out Cubase works fine on the M1. There are many reasons why someone would switch from one DAW to another, but M1 native support probably shouldn't be one of those reasons right now.
Again, as I said before, and in other threads, I defer to your expertise, good sir.....you know what you're doing and what you're talking about more than most - and I endorse most of what you usually say

in this case, your right, cubase 11 will run, and run fine - but I was making another, different point, again not in disagreement, but just as an alternative suggestion, respectfully

BTW, when you say, in your business, do you mean you are a professional studio engineer? forgive me if you said that before

I make virtual instruments. Testing them often entails trying them out in a variety of DAWs.
Oh wow! See, I knew you knew what you were talkin about . Do you mind me asking what you’ve developed , either here or via PM? I’m truly interested and impressed. Either way very cool dude

Back
Top Bottom