Macbook Help

gigawatt

Experienced
Hi everyone. I need help updating my Macbook Pro, it's appx. a Dec. 2011 - very early 2012. I have tried uploading the last version but it says I need at least 10.8 for it to work. How do I find out what version mine is running. This is frustrating because I'd like to use the Axe III's editor and all the other bells and whistles that go with the USB hookup, and the Axe requires version 10.9 for USB audio to work.

Thanks for any help

Hi everyone. I need help updating my Macbook Pro, it's appx. a Dec. 2011 - very early 2012. I have tried uploading the last version but it says I need at least 10.8 for it to work. How do I find out what version mine is running. This is frustrating because I'd like to use the Axe III's editor and all the other bells and whistles that go with the USB hookup, and the Axe requires version 10.9 for USB audio to work.

Thanks for any help
Click on the apple symbol top left. Top item in the menu.

Thanks Hubertus, so easy a blond monkey could do it… I digress. I'll give it a try and let u know how it works out.

Thanks again

Well I tried the above, my Mac was running OS X Lion 10.7.5, and…….. it still is. The only thing that updated was Safari. Google Chrome won't update cuz the Mac's not up to date. Unless you guys have any other suggestions, I'll try contacting Apple support. Oh, and it was made in late 2011.

Thank you

Well I tried the above, my Mac was running OS X Lion 10.7.5, and…….. it still is. The only thing that updated was Safari. Google Chrome won't update cuz the Mac's not up to date. Unless you guys have any other suggestions, I'll try contacting Apple support. Oh, and it was made in late 2011.

Thank you
what exactly is the issue? i don't understand from what you've typed so far.

i'm typing this on a mid-2010 iMac running 10.13.4

have you tried clicking "Software Update..." on that About This Mac popup?Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 2.16.40 PM.png

Yours has 16 GB of memory, mine only has 4 GB. I chatted with cust. support and he said I would need to download El Capitan b4 I can download High Sierra. He said it had to be done in these two steps cuz it's too far a jump from Lion 10.7.5. Yes I did the software update in the apple drop down menu to no avail.

Habuman, yes I checked the app store but at that time I didn't know I needed to download El Capitan before High Sierra. The Apple rep also suggested I back up my files. :eek: This is gonna be a lot of work…

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I appreciate it.

i have a 17” macbook pro...circa mid 2010.
When I attempted the High Sierra update...and this was because I wanted to update Logic, the computer locked up.
I took it to a mac store and they were able to update it. I think this os update was when they not only made provisions for greater multi-core processing but they also changed their file system? Anyway recently my computer froze up, and when I tried to reboot the computer it de-powered halfway up on the progress startup bar. I had zero issues with this machine until the high sierra update. In retrospect I probably should not have updated the os and stuck with logic 9.

I’m waiting for a new hard drive...might have it back in a few days...

Thanks for the info 200man, geez what a nightmare! You really got me second guessing updating. My Mac works great, aside from some glitches in Safari and Google Chrome being slow, (I can't use my banks website with Safari), and Wi-fi issues, (not the Mac's fault), never had any problems. I've read there could be trouble, like won't power up, and screen with black bars around it, etc.etc.

I think I'll wait on the update, I don't need the USB audio that bad. I can always use an outboard interface.

Thanks for the link Tom, and thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Last edited:
Hi, sometimes upgrading to a different OSX will affect battery useage for the worse. The battery might be ok. Newer versions also work better with more ram, and are optimized for SSD drives. That’s a good computer, it’s still upgradeable. If you drop 2-300 dollars into it, it will be a new machine. Ram costs about 100 to go to 16gb, and a Samsung SSD will negate any upgrade issues altogether. And, it would take about ten minutes with a screwdriver, easy machine to work on.
I have done this upgrade to many Mac’s, the ones that you can still do this to. You will wonder what ever happened to the spinning wheel.....

Hey thanks a lot for the info Ed! :) That's good news, I was thinking I'd have to buy a new laptop to get the upgrade I need. Could you steer me in the right direction to find the right 16 gb Ram and SSD drive? and perhaps a how to do it short explanation? I'd greatly appreciate it.

You will wonder what ever happened to the spinning wheel.....

I HATE THAT SPINNING WHEEL!

THANKS oops, Thanks again :)

There’s lots of places that will sell the ram. I usually use Newegg, because I’m lazy and they have everything you need. I’ve bought bad ram before, going for the cheapest price, and having to return it. Find out the specs for your particular Mac , I think it’s ddr3-1600, still pretty cheap, compared to ddr4. The SSD is a generic part, but I always buy Samsung 860 evo, I’ve never had a problem with them, and they are the standard by what everyone measures against. I don’t know if you have an optical drive on that one, if so put a large capacity spinning drive kit into that, or just use a usb/FireWire/thunderbolt drive for files.
As far as how to do it, I could try and tell you, but YouTube is your friend on this one. I’m pretty savvy with this sort of thing, but I always review videos first. Secret tip, buy a usb to sata cable and Copy everything to the new drive first. Best $5 you’ll ever spend, they are a lifesaver! Also, make sure you have the right screwdriver to open the case. Apple sucks when it comes to This.....

just replaced the half terabyte spinner in my macbook pro with a terabyte ssd...got it back last night.
I think this was a good move. Got hi sierra, rme drivers, itunes, capo and logic x installed last night and we’ll see if all is well tonight and tomorrow. So far so good. I just want a few more years with this computer, please? :)

Back
Top Bottom