Mac Users, I'm Thinking of Going Mac...

CudBucket

Inspired
Would a MacBook Pro suffice or would I need something more robust like the Mac Pro? Also, the iMac runs a QuadCore i5. Would that be OK? I love the 27" monitor. I'm a total Mac newb but I'm taking the Axe/Recording plunge so I figured I'd go Mac.

Thanks.

Dave

I was sitting with the wife and just flew the idea by her about getting a Mac and she was like "Yeah, sure, haven't you wanted one to record your Axe thing with?". So I'm striking while the iron is hot. What I'm torn about is: do I get a MacBook Pro with the i7 and smaller "15 monitor or bling out and get a 27" iMac but with the i5. That's pretty much my budget since I'll still need a Duet for an interface. Not to mention buying all new software.

I use a plain old MacBook, not even a Pro. Can run Axe-Edit and Logic 9 simultaneously just fine.

It really depends on how many tracks and VST instruments you will be using. I have a Macbook Pro and run just fine until I start loading on BFD and other instruments. Axe-Edit is not a resource hog and doesn't access the disk like a DAW will. The drawback with laptops is slow drives. Unless you go with an SSD Drive. Macbooks have plenty of power now but you can hit a wall.

Reactions: yek
Unless you really, really, really need the portability, you're spending more than you need to buying a laptop. Don't get me wrong: I love my MBPro, but it's a work machine where I need a computer to go with me. At home my money was much better spent on an iMac with a big, beautiful screen -- the more to see all those lovely tracks in my Logic projects.

If I was doing a home machine again I'd look harder at a Mac Mini. The screen market has come down a lot in prices and you can get a superb screen plus a Mac Mini for less than an iMac now.

If I had all the money in the world I'd buy a Mac Pro. Sadly, I do not. :(

If you're in the market for an iMac at the moment, a speed bump/refresh of the line seems imminent, so I'd hold off until then if you can. The refresh will most likely include the (significantly faster) Sandy Bridge processors and Thunderbolt port found in the MacBook Pros that were released last month.

Don't get the MacBook, it doesn't have Firewire anymore (Duet is Firewire-only).
The MacBook Pro does have Firewire.

Last edited:
Seems that right now, the sweet spot of the Mac market, if you're focus is on the processor, is the MacBook Pro. Even the 13" MBP at $1499 has a dual core i7 and the iMacs have i3 processors unless you opt for the 27" with a dual core i5. But that'll run you $1899.

I'm considering all options at this point.

3 weeks ago I just picked up a Macbook Air for my wife and a i-Mac for my studio/mancave. Best money I have spent in a long time....other than the AXE FX Ultra that is coming in the mail tomorrow!!!!!

Since I do dabble in a little recording, the Apple guy was trying to push me into the Macbook Pro. You are correct, the MBP 13" contains the new dual core i7 processor. Lots of power for recording. In the end I settled in on the iMac 21.5" which still kicks major butt in my opinion for what I use it for!

I wish I would have gotten a Mac years ago....wow these computers are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom