Mac USB recording issue

warcowsmoo

Previous Axe 2 owner here! I used my Axe 2 to record via USB all the time with no issues. I am running into a weird problem with the 3 though, and hoping that somebody can help.

I can connect to fractalbot, and axe-edit. My computer allows me to set the 3 as audio input and output. I can play audio from the computer through the 3. I can't record anything! No signal at all. Track is set to Mono 1. I am plugged into the front input. I can hear my guitar and audio from the computer through the headphone jack.

Here's what I'm working with:

Axe-Fx III - Ares v12.07 (factory settings/reset system parameters)

Mac mini (mid 2011) - OS High Sierra - 10.13.6

GarageBand '11 - 6.0.3

Please help!

GarageBand doesn't recognized the input as the AxeIII. Check GBand in 'audio'.

Mac's can also get 'confused' if you bounce back and forth in between inputs and outputs. A reboot fixes all, but this is still most likely a garageband issue.

GarageBand allows you to optionally set your input/output audio device separately from your system audio device. So, check your GB preferences to make sure the AxeFX is your audio device. Also, when you add an audio track, you'll have the option to choose which USB channels are used as input for the track, so make sure that is correct. And, I'm sure you're already painfully aware of this, but that's a really old version of GarageBand.

GarageBand doesn't recognized the input as the AxeIII. Check GBand in 'audio'.

Mac's can also get 'confused' if you bounce back and forth in between inputs and outputs. A reboot fixes all, but this is still most likely a garageband issue.

Tried rebooting and had same results. Did you mean that all versions of GarageBand won't record via USB?

GarageBand allows you to optionally set your input/output audio device separately from your system audio device. So, check your GB preferences to make sure the AxeFX is your audio device. Also, when you add an audio track, you'll have the option to choose which USB channels are used as input for the track, so make sure that is correct. And, I'm sure you're already painfully aware of this, but that's a really old version of GarageBand.

System settings and Garageband preferences are set to axe audio input and output. Track is set to axe input (Mono 1) and output. And yes I know it's super old lol! I'm hoping that's the reason for the issue if I can't get this setup to work.

Update: Downloaded a trial of Logic Pro X. Same situation :-(

Dugout the old Scarlet interface. Works just fine with Logic and Garageband.

System settings and Garageband preferences are set to axe audio input and output. Track is set to axe input (Mono 1) and output. And yes I know it's super old lol! I'm hoping that's the reason for the issue if I can't get this setup to work.
are there other Inputs available in GarageBand audio settings? maybe that is just the wrong one, as the Axe3 has 8.

are you having trouble with the Input or Output?

if you can't record anything, then it's the Input in Garageband that's an issue.

i don't use Garageband, but i just installed it and selected Axe-Fx III as the audio device. it works for me.

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 9.13.49 PM.png

I'd go into the Audio Midi Setup utility and make sure you don't see any mutes active, etc. I don't have mine up, atm, so I'm not entirely sure if that's an option. Anyway, worth a look!

I'd go into the Audio Midi Setup utility and make sure you don't see any mutes active, etc. I don't have mine up, atm, so I'm not entirely sure if that's an option. Anyway, worth a look!

This is something I tried before posting . Nothing muted. Actually, I wasn’t able to mute anything either, or change anything in regards to the axe in that utility. Do you know if that’s normal?

Yes, that's normal.

Go to the meters page on your AxeFX and verify which USB output channels show signal when you play your guitar.

Ok, next go to the system preferences -> Sound panel. Go to the Input tab. Select AxeFX III as the sound device and play your guitar. The meter on that panel should show input signal.

Ok, next go to the system preferences -> Sound panel. Go to the Input tab. Select AxeFX III as the sound device and play your guitar. The meter on that panel should show input signal.

It’s selected and shows the message “The selected device has no input controls” and the input level meter does nothing when I play.

B5FBA043-E370-44FF-98BB-ED7D0190DE90.jpeg

Here’s the meters page while playing guitar and sending a software instrument from GarageBand/logic. Still no signal showing up to record in either.

Well, there's your problem :).

You should be seeing activity on that meter. It is correct that it should say “The selected device has no input controls”, but you should see activity on that meter. It sounds like a physical problem, like a bad USB cable.

Well, there's your problem :).

You should be seeing activity on that meter. It is correct that it should say “The selected device has no input controls”, but you should see activity on that meter. It sounds like a physical problem, like a bad USB cable.

You’re on to something! Problem isn’t the cable though. I just plugged the same cable into my focusrite and I’m seeing activity on the input level meter.

Did you check the USB output levels on the AXE? By default they are set super low... I had to bump mine up before I got any sound.

Back
Top Bottom