Mac Studio

the 24" is way too small, I got one for my folks and its so small compared to my 27"
Yeah I agree, my mum and dad have one and its too small. But the display is really good I must admit. I use an old 21.5" iMac at work but I'm really close to it so the size doesn't bother me too much. I guess the only other way it to buy what's left of the intel 27" models but I'd like to go over the M1 chip if possible.

Yes, I'm waiting for the new stuff too, just need large display after using the 27 for a year I can't go back haha But mine has 128GB Ram and works great for now

Sure they make amazing presentations, sure they invest a lot in R&D, but the price is too high for "intermediate" users who don't need that much power on a daily basis.

I would have appreciated an update of the Mac mini also, maybe with more ports, only 2 USB C are too few.

And in the price are not included mouse and keyboard as for iMac and Mac Pro. Ok, maybe you already have them, but come on...in other models they are included.

I have a Mac mini Intel Core i3 quad‑core a 3,6GHz 16GB RAM, with 4 USB C ports and 2 USB 3. And at the moment Logic works perfectly, even if I have all the libraries on an external SSD...And I paid 650€ new from Amazon.

The display is amazing, it's how I wanted a 27 iMac, but....they forgot the computer :p

And in the price are not included mouse and keyboard as for iMac and Mac Pro. Ok, maybe you already have them, but come on...in other models they are included.
Enh. I actually like that.

Apple trackpads are fine if you like trackpads (I don't). But their keyboards are objectively crap.

Enh. I actually like that.
Wait, you like that you receive something "less"?
If in the end you don't like them you can sell and get some money back.

Anyway I like their keyboard, trackpad and mouse. I use them extensively at home and at my office since 2005 (in their evolving versions).

Had I not just bought my mac mini little over a year ago after using my trusty iMac for over 10 yrs I would def go for this studio. I'm perfectly happy with my mini though. It performs well. I agree that the base model should come with a 1 GB SSD minimum.

Wait, you like that you receive something "less"?
If in the end you don't like them you can sell and get some money back.

Anyway I like their keyboard, trackpad and mouse. I use them extensively at home and at my office since 2005 (in their evolving versions).
Yes. I would rather not pay for them in the first place, and it's not worth the hassle of selling them.

I've wound up with a couple in the past, and they go straight into a donation bin, still in the box.

I type way too much to deal with their horrible keyboards.

How is the Fractal support on M1? I have a new Studio coming and I am a bit concerned that FM3-Edit/Fractal Bot don't seem to have native M1 support. I realize they probably run fine under Rosetta, but if any other M1 Max folks are already using this software and can report it works well I'd feel a lot better.

Had I not just bought my mac mini little over a year ago after using my trusty iMac for over 10 yrs I would def go for this studio. I'm perfectly happy with my mini though. It performs well. I agree that the base model should come with a 1 GB SSD minimum.
Many people in the target market prefer to keep their projects, sample libraries, etc. on external drives, so a large internal drive was probably never a priority in the product plans. But a 1GB drive would be pretty small :).

How is the Fractal support on M1? I have a new Studio coming and I am a bit concerned that FM3-Edit/Fractal Bot don't seem to have native M1 support. I realize they probably run fine under Rosetta, but if any other M1 Max folks are already using this software and can report it works well I'd feel a lot better.
AxeEdit works fine under Rosetta. Rosetta in general works remarkably well.

AxeEdit works fine under Rosetta. Rosetta in general works remarkably well.
Apple proved that technology back during the transition from the 68K-based CISC to RISC on the PowerPC. It was a great technology to bridge the gap and let the developers make the change when they got ready.

I don’t see any reason for M1 support in the editor, or at least there’s no need for making it a priority. The editor is basically a terminal to the modeler and its speed is limited by the I/O between the two. The only improvement that native support for the M1 would bring is for processing that occurs entirely inside the editor. Writing to the display and waiting for the user to do something isn’t going to improve much.

Apple proved that technology back during the transition from the 68K-based CISC to RISC on the PowerPC. It was a great technology to bridge the gap and let the developers make the change when they got ready.

I don’t see any reason for M1 support in the editor, or at least there’s no need for making it a priority. The editor is basically a terminal to the modeler and its speed is limited by the I/O between the two. The only improvement that native support for the M1 would bring is for processing that occurs entirely inside the editor. Writing to the display and waiting for the user to do something isn’t going to improve much.

That makes sense, agree it's probably not a huge priority but I think eventually it's going to make sense to move to the native platform.

I was going to offer to help test anything after seeing some staff notes, but it seems the M1 Pro is what they're having trouble tracking down and my machine will be the MAX so no need. Though if anyone from Fractal would like another tester for the M1 platform I'd be happy to do so.

Excited to see the tear down, can it be cleaned easy.
Wanting to see the difference for Logic with the Max or Ultra.
Looks like a nice upgrade for my 2017 iMac, that needs its CPU/GPU reseated with new CPU goo, but my what task

Excited to see the tear down, can it be cleaned easy.
Wanting to see the difference for Logic with the Max or Ultra.
Looks like a nice upgrade for my 2017 iMac, that needs its CPU/GPU reseated with new CPU goo, but my what task
That would be a nice upgrade. I wouldn't expect to see any surprises in the Max benchmarks since it's the same cpu as the MBP Max. In practice, you'll see better performance in the Mac Studio than on the MBP due to reduced throttling, but I wouldn't expect that to show up in many benchmarks. I wouldn't recommend the Ultra for music production, where single core performance is still important. After all, a $6000 Mac Studio Ultra has the same single core performance as an iPad Air :).

That would be a nice upgrade. I wouldn't expect to see any surprises in the Max benchmarks since it's the same cpu as the MBP Max. In practice, you'll see better performance in the Mac Studio than on the MBP due to reduced throttling, but I wouldn't expect that to show up in many benchmarks. I wouldn't recommend the Ultra for music production, where single core performance is still important. After all, a $6000 Mac Studio Ultra has the same single core performance as an iPad Air :).

I mean....they both matter, at least according to daw bench.

Where that tipping point is....IHNFC. But, I agree....I think the Ultra is overkill for music.

Frankly, I think the Pro can be overkill for most music applications unless you need the RAM based on what I'm seeing.

At some point Apple will remove Rosetta from MacOS.
what do you think would be the timeline for this? so many apps are still written exclusively for x86 and once the qualcomm deal expires microsoft will probably make extensive use of rosetta for bootcamp

what do you think would be the timeline for this? so many apps are still written exclusively for x86 and once the qualcomm deal expires microsoft will probably make extensive use of rosetta for bootcamp
The PowerPC version of Rosetta was removed from MacOS about 5 years after it was introduced. I would guess we'll see a similar timeline for Rosetta 2.

M1 Max here, running "Apple" with zero issues AxeIII 19.04

did anyone compare mac studio m1 max or ultra to a 2013 12 core trashcan?

I own a 64gb, 12 core trashcan and i am wondering if i will see a huge increase in performance if i buy a m1 max with 32gb ram.

The plugins, libraries, vst instruments and all going on in my sessions, channel count etc i can easily stress the trashcan....its still doing a good job but might be the right time to sell before its worth nothing. And if the m1s are that powerfull, with Universal Audio going also native, i could even sell my uad tbunderbolt octo satellite.

Back
Top Bottom