Mac Studio or MacBook Pro?

deakle

Experienced
I am considering upgrading my current Mac Mini to either a Mac Studio using the M1 chip or a MacBook Pro also running the M1 chip. It would be or home recording only. I currently utilize Logic Pro X for all my recording and a Presonus Faderport 8 controller as well as a Universal Audio Apollo Twin X for an interface. Any thoughts from anyone here who may have used either or both? The MacBook Pro appeals to me as I have whole house WiFi and could use it for other things besides recording say in my living room. Any thoughts anyone?

Its for recording only but you also want the pro so you can do other things. Which is it?

Both are great choices. I have a Studio for my photography work but if you need the mobility, then the MacBook Pro is a no-brainer.

I have an M1 pro Macbook Pro and while I love it, it is overkill for my Logic needs. You probably can run everything you need off the new Mac Pro 13 M2 or Air M2.

I have an M1 pro Macbook Pro and while I love it, it is overkill for my Logic needs. You probably can run everything you need off the new Mac Pro 13 M2 or Air M2.

There are purported problems with the M2-based base model of the PowerBook for SSD I/O because of the switch to a single SSD chip. And the Air model is overheating and reducing the CPU speed when pushed really hard, but that situation is not likely to occur in normal use.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/07/01/m2-macbook-pro-slower-than-previous-model/

https://www.cultofmac.com/782638/se...ises-questions-about-macbook-air-performance/

Benchmarks are often not real-world examples of how a computer is used.

Personally, I use my iPad when traveling and a iMac Pro at home these days. When I was programming 12 hours a day I lived on my MacBook Pro, but I am glad to be able to leave the main unit on my desk now.

I am considering upgrading my current Mac Mini to either a Mac Studio using the M1 chip or a MacBook Pro also running the M1 chip. It would be or home recording only. I currently utilize Logic Pro X for all my recording and a Presonus Faderport 8 controller as well as a Universal Audio Apollo Twin X for an interface. Any thoughts from anyone here who may have used either or both? The MacBook Pro appeals to me as I have whole house WiFi and could use it for other things besides recording say in my living room. Any thoughts anyone?
For music production, the important thing is to get a M1 Pro CPU. This CPU is available on both the Mac Studio and the MacBook Pro. The M1 Max is more expensive, but offers little of value for music production over the M1 Pro. The M1 and M2 are not suitable for music production since they are geared more towards power efficiency than performance. The M2 only offers a minor performance improvement over the M1, so for most people it wouldn't make sense to get an M2 instead of an M1.

For music production, the important thing is to get a M1 Pro CPU.
I would say "at least" a Pro, with the note that while using an M1 Max won't hurt it is only going to lower the price-performance ratio for a music-only workstation in most cases. If you were also going to use this machine for any GPU intensive work the Max might make more sense.

I picked up an M1 Max Macbook this week. Totally understand those who'll never use their Studio away from their desk but for me the portability is occasionally handy and I use the laptop screen as a secondary screen all the time, and it has to be said, it's a great screen. Better than you might think. I recently got a new monitor which made my old Macbook screen look a bit tired. The new macbook does the same to my monitor screen!

Personally, really happy with it.

There are LOADS of videos on Youtube regarding M1 performance, I imagine most people (including me, probably) could be entirely happy with the entry level M1 Air/Pro. I make my living using my computer and the tax relief means it works for me, but if I were an employee buying a machine from my salary for personal use, I would think it's not worth it.
Worth noting that the Max processors just means extra graphics capability, so no need to go above the M1 Pro chip if you are discounting the M1/M2.

I have both with the same specs.

I like the MacStudio because it is in a fixed location with lots of I/O that I'd have to unplug / plug back in.

If you don't have that issue, the specs are the same and I'd get the MacBook Pro for the added flexibility.

OP said home recording and he currently has a mini. I own both an 8 gig Air with an M1 and a 16 gig Pro with the M1 Pro. The Air easily runs my basic guitar setup with EZ Drummer, EZ Keys, EZ bass, Fabfilter ProQ (on multiple tracks), Pro MB, Pro C and a Neural DSP plugin (on my poop track) with Neural DSP Darkglass on my split bass bus. This is my average setup for simultaneousy recording DI and Main via USB from the Axe 3. if you have the money or if you need a more robust setup then by all means go with the M1 Pro. All I was trying to say is that you, IMO, don’t need it for base home guitar recording.

Back
Top Bottom