Mac Question

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
I have a MacBook Pro and I am running garage band. I am thinking about upgrading to logic pro. My question is this, should I keep garage band, or should I dump it? It is taking up a lot of computer space. Thanks and advance for your answers.

I've dumped GarageBand. I can start Logic X fast enough on my new iMac that it's as easy to drop into Logic X to do a quick clip as it was to drop into GarageBand.

I moved up from Garage Band to Logic X and found it to be as easy to use as Garage Band. I would dump it as I have.

Logic X is my go to, never really used Garageband, but i presume the space being taken up is mainly various loops and samples that come with it, so just check that Logic will be able to re-find those things if you need to open old Garageband projects in Logic.

I kept GarageBand because I use it occasionally to remove the video part of an mp4. There’s probably an easier way to do it though.

I kept GarageBand because I use it occasionally to remove the video part of an mp4. There’s probably an easier way to do it though.
ffmpeg can do this from the command line. Too see how the audio is encoded in the file:

ffmpeg -i <input file>

If it's AAC you can do:

ffmpeg -i <input file> -c copy <output file>.m4a

If it's MP3 you can do:

ffmpeg -i <input file> -c copy <output file>.mp3

Much faster!

ffmpeg can do this from the command line. Too see how the audio is encoded in the file:

ffmpeg -i <input file>

If it's AAC you can do:

ffmpeg -i <input file> -c copy <output file>.m4a

If it's MP3 you can do:

ffmpeg -i <input file> -c copy <output file>.mp3

Much faster!
Lol. Maybe for you. I don’t speak that language.

Back
Top Bottom