Mac peeps - What do?

GuitarDojo

I'm demoing a Macbook Pro (2015 15' i7 2.2Ghz, 256 SSD w/16Gb Ram)
One or 2 minor dings and 127 cycles on the battery.

$300 0.o

I am hoping to do some video edits with Davinci and try out Luna with my Apollo x4. (since its not available on Windows yet)
I had a macbook a long time ago for my job that I used at home for play. This would be my first mac to own.

Or should I dump 10x this amount on a 2019 16' macbook pro to help stimulate the economy. “¯\(ツ)/¯ “

I'm demoing a Macbook Pro (2015 15' i7 2.2Ghz, 256 SSD w/16Gb Ram)
One or 2 minor dings and 127 cycles on the battery.

$300 0.o

I am hoping to do some video edits with Davinci and try out Luna with my Apollo x4. (since its not available on Windows yet)
I had a macbook a long time ago for my job that I used at home for play. This would be my first mac to own.

Or should I dump 10x this amount on a 2019 16' macbook pro to help stimulate the economy. “¯\(ツ)/¯ “

That's a good deal! It should be enough for everything you mentioned! You will need more space for video editing. Get a USB 3.x external hdd.
You can always sell it and go will plan B.

"(since its not available on Windows yet) "
Luna will not be ported to Windows. They don't care about windows at all! They don't even care if their audio interface works on windows or not.

Catalina supports MBPs all the way back to 2012 so it is good now & probably good for at least 1 major OS update, not that you have to install it. My old iMac is stuck at High Sierra & still kicking strong. As long as it's functioning OK, that does sound like a good deal.

I had a similar questions a
Mid 2013 dual core i5
4gb (expandable to 8gb)

Should I buy the ram for $40 and upgrade to a SSD or is this machine too old to run Logic X?

4 years on a MacBook? ... you might have 2-3 years left before your iOS is no longer supported.

I have a 2015 MBPro i7 2.8ghz 16GB ram, it is wonderful. I do have the bigger SSD 1TB.
Definitely able to run Logic X just fine. Don't know about Luna...
Although I keep eyeing the newer models, I can't make sense of spending the $$ at the moment.

If I had the choice and the cash, I'd probably go for the newer model, just for the upgraded CPU...and the screen.
However, for $300 it's worth grabbing the 2015 and if you realize you need "more" power, you aren't out too much.

Stupid deal of the day. You'll get plenty of millage out of that 2015. I feel almost ashamed to mention how many Apple products I own. I use a 2012 MBP for everything to do with using the AFX. Also keep in mind with the 16" you're going to need a dock to give you ports to plug any older hardware into it.

Buy it! That’s the same model I’m running, except I have a 512GB SSD. It is still fast today, and I haven’t felt the need to upgrade. $300 is a great deal.

Here’s a tip. Add a second “internal SSD” on the cheap, and easily! That year MacBook Pro has an SD card slot on the side. Buy the BaseQi FBA_iSDA504ASV micro SD adapter, which sits flush with the case. And install a 512GB SD card in it, such as the Samsung Evo Select 512GB micro SD card. Now you just added a 512GB SSD. It runs just as fast as the internal drive does, and gives you extra storage space.

Buy it! That’s the same model I’m running, except I have a 512GB SSD. It is still fast today, and I haven’t felt the need to upgrade. $300 is a great deal.

Here’s a tip. Add a second “internal SSD” on the cheap, and easily! That year MacBook Pro has an SD card slot on the side. Buy the BaseQi FBA_iSDA504ASV micro SD adapter, which sits flush with the case. And install a 512GB SD card in it, such as the Samsung Evo Select 512GB micro SD card. Now you just added a 512GB SSD. It runs just as fast as the internal drive does, and gives you extra storage space.

I have a USB 3.0 External enclosure with a Samsung 860 Evo 1 Tb drive. (wanted to do my audio/video edits to this)

Thanks for the tip on the SD card slot.

Sounds stolen. I mean, those are 2-3 times that here depending on time of year. I think I paid $900 for the 2.5GHz/512GB mid-2015 and it seemed like a deal at the time.

I'd get it if I were you. They might have the keyboard fixed in the new ones, but the 2015 was really the sweet spot for MBPs in my opinion.

Check to see if it had the battery already replaced by Apple. I don't know what the status of that program is, but there was a recall, and if it hasn't been replaced, it would get you a new battery.

I'm always wary of these deals.

It will all depend on your usage. I have 3 MacBook Pro's. One from 2007, my lovely 17' 2011, and my 2018. I fired up the 2007 to out of curiosity yesterday, and the damn thing is running great. The 2011 needs an OS install, since I decrypted the HD and must have borked the system...but confirmed to be running just fine.

I cannot say the same of most other Windows systems that I have purchased. I was getting roughly 2 years out of them before moving on to the next iteration. I'll allow that this has probably changed in that timespan.

All that being said, as long as you don't ask for too much out of the 2015, then you're good. Go for it. The argument that it won't be able to be upgraded in 2 years (or so) is valid...if your needs are pretty static and don't need cutting edge, then $300 is a very nice price. But I'm the guy who wants to buy one, and not have to think about it for 5-7 years...so I buy new.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

R

Back
Top Bottom