Mac OS X Catalina - MFC-Edit Won't Launch From Desktop

bwanagary

Administrator
MFC-Edit isn't officially supported on Mac OS X Catalina at this time. Apple have changed something in Catalina (I don't know what that something is at this time) so that if you upgrade your OS you may no longer be able to launch MFC-Edit from the desktop icon or from the Applications folder. You can still launch MFC-Edit and it works fine if you follow these steps:
  • Open A "Terminal" session from Applications->Utilities->Terminal.
  • Copy this command: /Applications/MFC-Edit.app/Contents/MacOS/mfc-edit.sh & and paste it into the Terminal window and press the RETURN key
There are many reports of other applications (not Fractal Audio Systems applications as far as I know) that have the same problem. So maybe there's a Catalina bug (gasp!) affecting many software titles and maybe Apple will fix it.

MFC-Edit isn't officially supported on Mac OS X Catalina at this time. Apple have changed something in Catalina (I don't know what that something is at this time) so that if you upgrade your OS you may no longer be able to launch MFC-Edit from the desktop icon or from the Applications folder. You can still launch MFC-Edit and it works fine if you follow these steps:
  • Open A "Terminal" session from Applications->Utilities->Terminal.
  • Copy this command: /Applications/MFC-Edit.app/Contents/MacOS/mfc-edit.sh & and paste it into the Terminal window and press the RETURN key
There are many reports of other applications (not Fractal Audio Systems applications as far as I know) that have the same problem. So maybe there's a Catalina bug (gasp!) affecting many software titles and maybe Apple will fix it.
March 26, 2020: I discovered that if you uninstall MFC-Edit on Mac OS X Catalina and then reinstall it it will launch from the desktop. If you get the message that "No Suitable Java Found" and the option to download it, please agree to download it. After Java has been installed, if MFC-Edit still doesn't launch from the desktop/Applications folder then open a Terminal and paste this command into it:
/Applications/MFC-Edit.app//Contents/Resources/jlocate
This command will search for a suitable Java installation and configure it for use. MFC-Edit should launch from the desktop/Applications folder now.

(NOTE: MFC-Edit isn't supported any longer, but I discovered this by accident and thought I'd share it)

I had trouble with jlocate with the newest JDK installed. The app starts fine after I did the following:

1) Open Terminal
2) paste and execute: echo `which java` >> /Users/$USER/.jexec.txt

Note I don't have MFC101 to test the functionality properly.

None of this worked for me - on launch keep getting the popup indicating: "To use the Java command line tool you need to install a JDK"

None of this worked for me - on launch keep getting the popup indicating: "To use the Java command line tool you need to install a JDK"

Have you installed newest JDK? One way to do that is to download and install official Oracle Java SE. You can download it from official Oracle website.

@bwanagary sorry for highjacking the thread, but as you wrote the support is limited, so I'm trying to help other members.

Installed the newest JDK - I don't get the message any more but the app will not start (nothing happens on open) - Also retried the terminal commands above with no success.

Thanks for the help - guess I'll go back to updating the unit the hard way (my back is sore already!)

Installed the newest JDK - I don't get the message any more but the app will not start (nothing happens on open) - Also retried the terminal commands above with no success.

Thanks for the help - guess I'll go back to updating the unit the hard way (my back is sore already!)
Use this Java runtime. Uninstall other versions of Java first. Then install this runtime. Then remove the file in your Home folder called ".jexec.txt" (note the leading "." on the filename). Then copy and paste this command into a Terminal window: /Applications/MFC-Edit.app/Contents/Resources/jlocate.sh. Either desktop or commandline launch should work. Good luck!

Thanks for trying to help, however, when the "install this version" points to what looks like a private server, I tend to get nervous. It's probably fine, but it's just gotten too convoluted and non standard in terms of installation to keep this running. It'll be manual direct input MFC changes from now on in for me. I'm a wee bit bummed since the lifespan of this paid software did not seem to be that long - but I do understand there have been some significant OS changes recently and MFC is discontinued.

Thanks for trying to help, however, when the "install this version" points to what looks like a private server, I tend to get nervous. It's probably fine, but it's just gotten too convoluted and non standard in terms of installation to keep this running. It'll be manual direct input MFC changes from now on in for me. I'm a wee bit bummed since the lifespan of this paid software did not seem to be that long - but I do understand there have been some significant OS changes recently and MFC is discontinued.
If by "private server" you mean the link I provided to my google drive then I'm surely a wealthy man :). That's about as not private as you can get, but hey, I understand. There are so many bad actors in the digital space nowdays. You can download the Java 8.x JRE directly from Oracle if that'll make you feel better.

If by "private server" you mean the link I provided to my google drive then I'm surely a wealthy man :). That's about as not private as you can get, but hey, I understand. There are so many bad actors in the digital space nowdays. You can download the Java 8.x JRE directly from Oracle if that'll make you feel better.
Nothing to do with wealth - everything to do with downloading and installing system level software from an unknown source. This has become too convoluted for me - I'll just do my updates manually - hopefully an updated version that installs and lauches properly can be developed.

I wouldn't consider @bwanagary an "unknown source" in that his software was hosted in the official Fractal Audio Systems web store for many years. We vetted him carefully. We've used him for contract work several times and always been highly satisfied. I've met him in person multiple times and even introduced him to my kids. His motivation for developing this application was to be helpful. Now, I cannot speak officially as "Fractal Audio" but he has my personal endorsement as a trustworthy individual.

I wouldn't consider @bwanagary an "unknown source" in that his software was hosted in the official Fractal Audio Systems web store for many years. We vetted him carefully. We've used him for contract work several times and always been highly satisfied. I've met him in person multiple times and even introduced him to my kids. His motivation for developing this application was to be helpful. Now, I cannot speak officially as "Fractal Audio" but he has my personal endorsement as a trustworthy individual.
I did not mean to give the impression that bwangary is in any way not trustworthy, and I can see that he has worked hard to support customers with MFCEdit - I am just wary of downloading system component software from what looks like a private server/drive as general practice, and when software installs get into the realm of terminal level commands I shy away - not from fear (I was in software devrlopment for 30 years), but because it's often the start of a "long and winding road". I appreciate the help bwangary has given, and this software has definitely been helpful to me. Since its was a paid software though, customer expectations can get set a certain way in terms of official support / compatibility time frames. Anyway, I can't really complain much as I owned and used the software well for 2 or 3 years and I understand that some recent major MacOs changes have thrown a wrench into the works for a lot of smaller scale developers.

I don't mind editing directly on the unit except for changes that have to be repeated (ie per patch) which gets very teadious.

I've considered fc but the mfc works really well in my little manhole studio with Axefx3/2. In combination with Line6 PodHD500 used as a supplemental switcher and some programming with Bome Midi Translator Pro to coordinate everything I have no wants or needs for coordinated switching accross 2 linked Axefx units, an H9, and a Nemesis Delay. And the MFC is built like a tank so I'm dedicated to it for as long as it lasts which looks like it will be a long while.

Yikes! Got my 2017 installation working tonight launching from the terminal as described. I did not go down the alternate JRE rabbit hole (and I'm an old Java programmer), so I did not get it working from the dock. At first I got an error, presumably because of lingering resource files pointed at an older drive, but after relocating some items temporarily, it came up. I was relieved to see my license key in there. I'm wondering what a person does if they've inadvertently blown away the storage location for that. I'm thankful for this thread as that gear is not that old, and I'd like my buddy to make good use of the unit as it goes on loan to them! (Edit: In this case I'm running it on Mojave)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom