Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) README - Common Issues and Support

My reading of the Mac site indicates that Logic 9 for 10.6.8 won't work on ML without an upgrade.

I see this on the Apple store site for Logic 9.1.8: Requirements: OS X 10.6.8 or later

Let us know if you go for the upgrade... if I google "Logic 9.1.8" today the first thing that comes up is an Apple forum about it being "extremely unstable"... sigh!!

Negative message here: Logic 9.0 doesn't work with ML, so I'm not upgrading my desktop from 10.6.8. This isn't great, but may consider upgrading Logic if I really really need to work with my new laptop - as the old SL laptop functions fine (Logic used as desk and recording interface for live gigs....)

Would it be possible to separate midi-drivers and audio drivers? For 10.6.8 works flawlessly with the previous driver. The only thing would be if AE3 comes out and requires an entire driver update. Separation of the two would enable you to update midi drivers while keeping the old Snow Leopard audio drivers - which again, works like a charm in my experience...

Would it be possible to separate midi-drivers and audio drivers? For 10.6.8 works flawlessly with the previous driver. The only thing would be if AE3 comes out and requires an entire driver update. Separation of the two would enable you to update midi drivers while keeping the old Snow Leopard audio drivers - which again, works like a charm in my experience...

Hi Chef

In my understanding - this should be possible, because those "drivers" aren't drivers (that's what my USB Prober App from Apple's SDK says) - it's a firmware for the usb controller inside the axefx, saying: "hello OSX and host computer, I am an AxeFx II, my creator is Fractal Audio, I suppose to be am Audio Class 2.0 device, my specs are four (??) channel audio 24bit, 48kHz - unfortunately you (the OS) provide your own poor adaption of audio clock, because my creator wont let you use my own clock generator over usb".
Normally these informations were memorized in the internal memory of the USB controller but since the AxeFx II looses these infos after switching off, the host computer need to send these ID data to the axefx the next time it's connected with the host.

Now we need a keen programmer who can make a special soft controller patch working with 10.6.8 and enables the usage of the internal clock from the axefx - then we're safe! Even better or far superior solution would be a real core audio driver, same league as the Win ASIO driver. I can dream, can't I?

A little late to the party here. But when I updated the newer drivers it rendered my Apogee Duet (the old one) useless. I was able to run the new drivers and fw10.10 on my Mac 10.6.8 fine. But no Duet. So when I went back to the old driver the Duet works normal. But Axe Edit crashes and never opens

Hi guys, i was pointed to this thread and it seems exactly where i could get some help.

i am clueless when it comes to system versions and all that on my Mac, all i know is that i am on 10.6.8.
i have protools 9 and i need to be able to run the axe fx 2 as the interface and record directly from it into protools 9.
my problem is that i dont understand enough about what all these lions and other cats means to start getting into it.
if i upgrade to the version of Mac that supports USB audio, i cant use my protools.
ive actually been trying for years to save up for all these bits and bobs, and learn all these things.

brief history:
Bought a laptop when i left college and saved up for protools 7 and an mbox 2 kit.
got that, then turned out the main laptop chip didnt support protools.
so then saved up for a second hand Mac and then i upgraded to protools 9.
got that working and started learning. but needed to get rid of my tube amp as i couldnt record it at home so had no point in having it.
i used that money to buy an axe fx 2.
my unused mbox 2 seems to give me problems with all sorts of buzzing and stuff so i need to cut it out the equation.

so im sat here with a mac 10.6.8, and axe fx 2 and protools 9 lost.

can anyone help me?

thanks
Joe

Hi guys, i was pointed to this thread and it seems exactly where i could get some help.

i am clueless when it comes to system versions and all that on my Mac, all i know is that i am on 10.6.8.
i have protools 9 and i need to be able to run the axe fx 2 as the interface and record directly from it into protools 9.
my problem is that i dont understand enough about what all these lions and other cats means to start getting into it.
if i upgrade to the version of Mac that supports USB audio, i cant use my protools.
ive actually been trying for years to save up for all these bits and bobs, and learn all these things.

brief history:
Bought a laptop when i left college and saved up for protools 7 and an mbox 2 kit.
got that, then turned out the main laptop chip didnt support protools.
so then saved up for a second hand Mac and then i upgraded to protools 9.
got that working and started learning. but needed to get rid of my tube amp as i couldnt record it at home so had no point in having it.
i used that money to buy an axe fx 2.
my unused mbox 2 seems to give me problems with all sorts of buzzing and stuff so i need to cut it out the equation.

so im sat here with a mac 10.6.8, and axe fx 2 and protools 9 lost.

can anyone help me?

thanks
Joe

Like me, you'll need to record using the analog outputs on the back of the Axe FX II to inputs on your recording interface (mbox2?). This will work fine in PT9. What will not work is direct audio recording from the Axe FX II over a USB cable..

Chris, what DAW are you using? I think if I was running Logic I wouldn't hesitate with an upgrade. I would expect Apple software to work with an upgraded Apple OS. My issue is with Pro Tools compatibility. PT 9 to PT 11 upgrade is going to be in the $400-500 range. PT 11 looks like they've abandoned the RTAS format as well, so plugins need to be upgraded, and they are requiring purchasing a new iLok2 key as well.. sigh

cubase 6

I assume this has been asked before 181 times, but does the latest FW (10.11.) work with the "old" USB Audio driver on MAC OS X 10.6.8 ? I read a lot of posts about the new driver not working with 10.6.8, but can I upgrade the FW and still use the old one?

OK, if you have a newer Macbook Pro that uses 10.8.4 apparently you can't use the USB from the Axe. What's up with that? Most Pros use Apple and now they can't use the USB interface? I just don't get this. Is there a fix in the works?

My 2009 iMac running 10.8.4 works fine with it. Is this just a newer MacBook Pro issue JT2..?

I do know that that Cliff has posted that the issues are more Apple's shortcoming than Fractal's though...

I assume this has been asked before 181 times, but does the latest FW (10.11.) work with the "old" USB Audio driver on MAC OS X 10.6.8 ? I read a lot of posts about the new driver not working with 10.6.8, but can I upgrade the FW and still use the old one?

Yes - MIDI over USB (for firmware and patch updates via Fractal-Bot will work and is supported by Fractal - minimum OS is Leopard - 10.5.7 for MIDI-over-USB.

Thanx for your reply, leagueofkruger! Actually, I was mainly worrying about the older USB Audio driver not working with the latest FWon Mac OSX 10.6.8.. I read before, that MIDI over USB is working under those circumstances.

I was really looking forward to getting the II as an all-in-one studio solution, and my 2006 Mac Pro isn't supported past 10.6.8.

Based on this thread, it sounds like installing the old driver (linked in the thread) will get me up and running in Logic with a buffer setting of 128, with occasional issues here and there?

If so, I can absolutely deal with it, but if it's unlikely to work all, then I may have to re-think my setup.

Hey guys
I had the same problem as other old Mac book pro users where the axe wasn't recognized in the audio preferences and I could never use usb so I could never figure out how guys were tone matching. I was frustrated by this driver issue. I upgraded to mountain Lion and it caused headaches. I had to downgrade and I lost a lot of stuff.
Once my Mac was back to normal I upgraded from snow Leopard to Mavericks and wha la -the axe showed up in my audio preferences and I could finally use usb and tone match. I had to update my Apogee Duet -luckily the guys had drivers for Maverick. But I've had no issues anymore one I upgraded to Maverick -and is free!
In regards to logic 8, I had trouble. The screen would go black in certain spots and I needed Logic as I'm in a cover band playing every week and I make the backing tracks. I decided to uninstall Lohic and reinstall it -WRONG! Logic was not compatible anymore and there was no support. What the heck was I gonna do now? Well I had to bite the bullet and upgrade to Logic X. Since everything is download able now and there's no need to buy the physical software, it only cost $200 wbereas when i bought Logic 8 in its physical pack, it cost me $600! I also bought the K-meter plug in for $50 and everything works fine. I'm glad I upgraded to Mavericks even with the few issues I encountered. Ensure you do your homework if you're thinking of upgrading to Mavericks so you know what will still work and what won't. For me it was a $200 outlay for Logic X and updating some drivers but it was cheaper than buying a new Mac!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom