Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) README - Common Issues and Support

Looks like the guy who maintains that site is a forum member. Search for Algrenadine and you will find him. Might know why its not working for you - maybe send him a PM.
I'll give that a shot. I was just looking at Apple's website... apparently my old mac is too old to support Mountain Lion. I really need to get the old driver working again. With all the issues 10.6.8 users are having, it would be nice to see Fractal Support put the link back up on their page.

Actually, it remains to be seen what "all the issues 10.6.8 users are having" actually are.
With Axe 10.09 using the penultimate USB drivers on my system it appears to work well as long as I use 128 samples as my buffer size within Logic's Audio Prefs.

Actually, it remains to be seen what "all the issues 10.6.8 users are having" actually are.
With Axe 10.09 using the penultimate USB drivers on my system it appears to work well as long as I use 128 samples as my buffer size within Logic's Audio Prefs.
Good point. I have not had any issues pre 10.09.

You probably just need to type in the entire url into your browser.

http://axefx.fr/

That usually gets forwarded to this url:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0ByE59RhTED3bczV3aFRGbm5qSE0/edit?pli=1

So if the short url doesn't work, use the long one.

I know of no reason why an older Mac shouldn't be able to access this archive.
I copied the long link from my other computer and emailed it to this one just to be sure I was getting it right - same result... Weird right? With that said, I'm happy to report that PacoCasanovas link posted above worked perfectly and I was able to restore the old driver. I'm back up and running now. :)

I use Pro Tools 9 which is not supported on Mountain Lion. It appears to be supported on Lion (although again, I have a bunch of readmes to go through).

And the audio over USB minimum requirement for the Axe FX II is Lion.
Number one reason moved away from pro tools. 'Logic' is better (or as good) and you will not go broke updating endlessly to make PT work.

just for info - if you're considering upgrading to ML, you can check the compatibility of your current third party apps here - App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps - App compatibility and feature support for OS X & iOS

Thanks for the link. After browsing the list I see that upgrading would cause me to lose a couple dozen software synths, and various other music related software. Just like I thought. I have no reason at all to update my OSX other than the Axe FXII. Everything else works and is recognized fine. It's not worth it.

If the Axe usb driver is not an audio driver and is just for updating firmware on a Mac like Cliff said, why are some people reporting that the Axe FXII disappears as a choice in the DAWs and some of their other software after updating to the new Axe usb driver? Can't Fractal at least fix that issue for all the Mac 10.6.8 users?

I'm also still on 10.6.8 and have no real reason other than the AxeII to make the change. As long as the older driver gives me what I need, I have no intention of changing/upgrading either - everything is exactly as I need it, works flawlessly and there is no compelling reason to upgrade.

As far as I'm concerned about 10.6.8 - it's not 'broke', so I see no need to 'fix' it with an upgrade.

If FAS can find a workaround, that would be great, if not, well I will use the old driver till I absolutely HAVE to. The axe is the only reason to upgrade, and it's an upgrade I don't really want to make.

+1

Last time I checked 10.6.8 wasn't supported for the new Axe Edit either. Does it work for you guys? When I installed all the text was garbage...

Thanks for the link. After browsing the list I see that upgrading would cause me to lose a couple dozen software synths, and various other music related software. Just like I thought. I have no reason at all to update my OSX other than the Axe FXII. Everything else works and is recognized fine. It's not worth it.

If the Axe usb driver is not an audio driver and is just for updating firmware on a Mac like Cliff said, why are some people reporting that the Axe FXII disappears as a choice in the DAWs and some of their other software after updating to the new Axe usb driver? Can't Fractal at least fix that issue for all the Mac 10.6.8 users?

There are two components to the USB driver - an audio interface and a MIDI interface. The MIDI interface works fine on Snow Leopard (it shows up). Just not the audio interface (it disappears).

"The Axe-Fx II has a host of USB connectivity features. Connected to your Mac or PC, it becomes a 2x4 Audio Interface with 1x1 high speed MIDI. This allows you to record the main processed outputs and simultaneously capture a "dry" track for re-amping later. You can also monitor or process computer audio tracks with the Axe-Fx II. 1x1 high speed MIDI-over-USB eliminates the need for a separate MIDI interface and makes editing with Axe-Edit, our free editor librarian software easier than ever before."

+1

Last time I checked 10.6.8 wasn't supported for the new Axe Edit either. Does it work for you guys? When I installed all the text was garbage...

The current Axe Edit 1.9 is an unsupported beta for everyone, so we will have to wait and see what the minimum requirement will be for the new and improved Axe Edit 3.0.... MIDI over USB does work on Snow Leopard and is supported so my guess would be yes? But the real answer will only come from Fractal.

MacBookPro here, I upgraded it to 10.6.8 after buying the AxeFxII. Got the USB to work, never have tried AxeEdit as it appears to be not ready for primetime. Matt at Fractal was very helpful in getting it up and running. One of the main reasons I decided to get it was the USB connectivity (and AxeEdit actually). The biggest reason was the sound, which is great, no problem there. I upgraded to AxeFX 10.2 and all is well except that it goes silent up to 3 times in a 3 hour session. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all.
My question has been, what's the difference between my old Digitech GSP1101's USB driver and the AxeFx's? I never had this problem before.

The Mac FAS driver is not an audio driver - it's more of a software USB controller than a driver (!!!) - without it, the axefx shows up as a device from a unknown vendor - after the "mac FAS driver" is loaded the description and Vendor ID is loaded, so the "unknown device" shows up as AxeFx II audio interface.....

Unfortunately - I have to re-install this "mac FAS driver" every time I switch on my MAC (OSX 10.7.5) - which is not useful at all! Sad but true - WIN users were priviledged by FAS, they got a real driver..... :(

On Mac OS - I was stupid enough to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion the other day without reading all the negative feedback on ML in the first place.

The result was - I lost the Prism Sound's Orpheus drives and the Mountain Lion didn't want to recognize it even after several re-uploads. An exchange of messages with both Apple support and Prism didn't lead to anything useful. In short, they were saying - man, this should work, try to redownload the Mountain Lion again. But it didn't.

There were also other issues with Mountain Lion with iTunes, Photoshop and all. The sound from Afex XF II was also corrupted (I am not using USB, just the AES/SPDIF ins/outs connected between the Orpheus and Axe).

Long story short, not being a high-profile tekki I finally decided to downgrade back to 10.6.8. Took me several weeks to resurrect Logic 9 and all the plugins. So far, so good.

As an old saying goes - if it ain't broken, don't try to fix it. Lesson learned. No more doubtful upgrades unless there's a 100% positive feedback on the connectivity of everything I'm using.

Don't repeat my stupid mistakes. If 10.6.8 works fine for you, do not try to improve it.

Cheers,
Chrono

i've had zero problems with Mountain Lion or Lion with supported gear, including iTunes, Photoshop etc. maybe i just have late/latest versions of the software?

I have 10.6.8 on my desktop - where I do my music. I'm still using the old Axe drivers, and am able to play both output from the computer and Axe at the same time using USB (learning guitar parts from Youtube clips - currently Eric Johnson's live "Are You Experienced"....) IT sometimes goes dead, which rebooting the Axe fixes.

I have a new MacBook Air with Mountain Lion. Thans to all your comments here, I'm not going to upgrade the desk top to match. I will try my Logic 9 with ML, and report back here on the results. Thanks again.

i've had zero problems with Mountain Lion or Lion with supported gear, including iTunes, Photoshop etc. maybe i just have late/latest versions of the software?

Chris, what DAW are you using? I think if I was running Logic I wouldn't hesitate with an upgrade. I would expect Apple software to work with an upgraded Apple OS. My issue is with Pro Tools compatibility. PT 9 to PT 11 upgrade is going to be in the $400-500 range. PT 11 looks like they've abandoned the RTAS format as well, so plugins need to be upgraded, and they are requiring purchasing a new iLok2 key as well.. sigh

It's funny in a way - cue the Mac vs. PC wars - I was running Pro Tools on XP for years with zero issues but always had "Mac envy". I always had "heard" that Mac guys just had it easier and simpler.... Mac guys just have creative fun!! They never have to read manuals and readmes right??? And Macs just look cooler... so I made the jump to the Mac world and within the first week of running PT I was able to live the Spinning Beach Ball of Death experience! (found a bug in PT and reported to Avid which was fixed).

And now reading the forums about how the updated USB driver works without issues on the Windows side, but deals with faulty clock issues on the Apple side :numbness:

I looked at my PT 9 disk set and noticed the disks are for both Windows and Mac..... Had me thinking briefly about going back to the other side.....

Although no, I'm kidding.. If I was used to Logic from day one I probably wouldn't be complaining ;)

Back
Top Bottom