Mac OS Mojave and Axe Edit......does it work yet?

bradlake

Axe-Master
As today is the first that non-beta Mojave is available for download , are there any caveats or incompatiblities that FAS is aware of with regard to the III and related softwares....? Hopefully @Admin M@
is making progress with Apple on the various weird behaviors with axeEditIII and Logic, maybe that new upgrades to the Mac OS may help with this...FYI , Universal Audio has not yet officially certified their products with Mojave, but that is a fairly common thing with that company, but I know that earlier betas made their products unusable......

FWIW, because I'm in front of my AxeFX IIXL rig , not my III, but the 2014 5K iMac I just upgraded to Mojave seems to run axeedit and USB audio just fine, and also works with the UAD Apollo......

Last edited by a moderator:
Just upgraded my MacBook Air to Mojave, and Axe-Edit III works perfectly. I must say that I have two Macs, and with the main one I will definitely wait a couple of months before upgrading.

I've learned the hard way to wait for all my major software developers/etc. to announce compatibility. For the AxeFx it wouldn't be as big of deal because of the front panel capability, but for a lot of my DAWs and plugins, it could mean a total loss of functionality until the updates are finished. Avid, Native Instruments, Arturia, Slate, EastWest, etc...

I always do an external backup before any major update.
I’ve been using all the beta Mojave’s with Logic X and many plugins without any issues.
Axe edit for Ax8 has no problems

What I noticed, though, is I can't use the Axe-FX III as USB device with Logic Pro X for recording anymore after upgrading to Mojave.

Actually, I can select it as sound input and output and can hear output through the Axe-FX III, but as soon as I create a track and choose any of the 8 inputs (o any of the 4 stereo inputs), nothing happens. There is no way to get the signal from the Axe-FX III into Logic Pro X (I just updated Logic Pro X to 10.4.2, but nothing changed). Worked perfectly using input 1+2 with High Sierra.

Don't know if it's just me.

What I noticed, though, is I can't use the Axe-FX III as USB device with Logic Pro X for recording anymore after upgrading to Mojave.

Actually, I can select it as sound input and output and can hear output through the Axe-FX III, but as soon as I create a track and choose any of the 8 inputs (o any of the 4 stereo inputs), nothing happens. There is no way to get the signal from the Axe-FX III into Logic Pro X (I just updated Logic Pro X to 10.4.2, but nothing changed). Worked perfectly using input 1+2 with High Sierra.

Don't know if it's just me.

Ciao Denny, did you solve the problem with Mojave?

I haven’t had any issues with any Axe Fx functions on my Mojave-updated Mac. I’ve used Axe-Edit (0.9.21, I think?), with Preset and Cab Manage. I’ve used Fractal Bot for sending and receiving. I’ve recorded. No problems here.

I also did a clean install and wiped my SSD prior to installation but that was unrelated to anything Axe.

Well, here we are one week later and my Mojave installation is finally complete. I needed a metal-enabled video card and a series of first world problems delayed its delivery.

At first pass, Fractal-Bot and Axe-Edit are working great. I will check the reported Logic issue now.
FWIW, I just tested Logic with III on the latest Mojave Beta on my testing MacBook, and the USB audio worked perfectly in record and monitoring to refute @Denny99 's allegation, but I didn't yet dare open the latest AxeEdit III while using Logic and midi instruments........Looking forward to your results!...

Last edited:
At first pass, Fractal-Bot and Axe-Edit are working great. Issues remain with Logic, but after getting past the clean install, I was able to get it working using the usual workaround. Here are my (perhaps overly) detailed steps.
  1. In Logic, open Audio preferences and select "Built-In Line Input" and "Built-In Line Output" as audio devices.
    In Logic, Open Control Surfaces > Setup.
    Click the "New" dropdown and make sure "Automatic Installation" is NOT checked.
    Close Control Surfaces Setup.
    Power on the Axe-Fx III
    When Logic asks if it should use the new audio interface, say "YES"
    I power off the Axe-Fx III. To be sure of a fresh start, I reboot the computer.
  2. Launch Logic.
  3. Close the default Logic project.
  4. Create a new empty project with one "Drummer" track for testing.
  5. Set the sample rate of this project to 48k.
  6. Save the project as "TEST"
  7. In Logic, open Audio preferences and select "Built-In Line Input" and "Built-In Line Output" as audio devices.
  8. In Logic, Open Control Surfaces > Setup.
  9. Click the "New" dropdown and make sure "Automatic Installation" is NOT checked.
  10. Close Control Surfaces Setup.
  11. Power on the Axe-Fx III
  12. When Logic asks if it should use the new audio interface, say "YES"
Audio playback is now working fine, and Axe-Edit is happily co-existing with Logic.

In some cases, I am having a problem again after I exit and restart Logic. When this happens, I am able to get everything working again quite easily as follows:
  1. Power the Axe-Fx III off.
  2. With Logic already running, open Audio preferences and select different I/O devices. (I use "Built-In Line Input" and "Built-In Line Output".)
  3. Power the Axe-Fx III on.
  4. When Logic asks if it should use the new audio interface, say "YES"

Last edited:
Several responses deleted. Make sure any responses contain useful information. We will not have this turn into a debate about Apple, updates, or anything else.

We're stepping up the investigation with Apple and will let you know as soon as there is any new information.

Last edited:
Thanks Matt!

At first pass, Fractal-Bot and Axe-Edit are working great. Issues remain with Logic, but after getting past the clean install, I was able to get it working using the usual workaround. Here are my (perhaps overly) detailed steps.
  1. In Logic, open Audio preferences and select "Built-In Line Input" and "Built-In Line Output" as audio devices.
    Power on the Axe-Fx III
  2. Launch Logic.
  7. In Logic, open Audio preferences and select "Built-In Line Input" and "Built-In Line Output" as audio devices.
  9. Click the "New" dropdown and make sure "Automatic Installation" is NOT checked.
Audio playback is now working fine, and Axe-Edit is happily co-existing with Logic.

In some cases, I am having a problem again after I exit and restart Logic. When this happens, I am able to get everything working again quite easily as follows:
  2. With Logic already running, open Audio preferences and select different I/O devices. (I use "Built-In Line Input" and "Built-In Line Output".)
matt, can you recommend how I might be able to apply this workaround if I need to have
Aggregate Devices (III and 2 Apollos) as my Logic in/outs

Last edited by a moderator:
    Power on the Axe-Fx III
  2. Launch Logic.

Thanks for the tips. I had read about unchecking “automation” in Logic but never tried it until now. I don’t
usually need Axe Edit and Logic open at the same time but I can now use both at the same time.

Thanks!

I did a clean install about 2 weeks ago of my iMac 27”. Still on High Sierra. But Logic updated to a newer version. Took me awhile to find the midi setting in control surfaces, so I could uncheck it.

Even when you click the drop down to open it and see the command, it isn’t an intuitive thing that you can activate or deactivate features in the drop down, by clicking them on or off. Weird......

Back
Top Bottom