Mac OS 11 Big Sur Notices

I had some connectivity issues, I changed to a different USB cable and it became stable. Simple but effective.
He's asking about an M1 mac. A new cable won't fix that :).

Fox posted a workaround that avoids the need to install a driver. It'd be nice if Fractal Audio would simply say one way or the other if they intend to provide any support for this.

7. FAS-FX Reverb has two problems under Big Sur. First, knobs are displayed with "garbage" around them. Second, the Preset picker crashes the plugin. We are aware of these and will provide updates.
Hi, Any advice on this 4 months down the road? FAS-FX Reverb remains unusable in Big Sur.

My report from the M1 (new Mini)..is the III mk2 and axeedit is rock solid in bigsur, work bettrr than ever with the supercharged Logic, (with no plugins excrpt the awesome and compatible Midi guitar 2)and is the only of my audio interfaces that work ......bodes fir good times ahead Except maybe for the developers
Based on this post which I came across browsing the forum, I went and downloaded MIDI guitar 2. I am running it on my new Mac Mini M1 in Cubase Pro 11 using a Universal Audio Apollo X4 interface. Unfreaking real!!
I can’t believe this was 99 bucks! Bought it immediately after trying it out. Running at the smallest buffer there is negligible delay.
I’m playing finger style guitar and hearing amazing piano lines from Pianoscapes, and Noire, Una Corda, and other killer libraries I use all the time with NI Komplete Kontrol.
This F’n Rocks!
Thanks so much for the heads up @bradlake !!

Based on this post which I came across browsing the forum, I went and downloaded MIDI guitar 2. I am running it on my new Mac Mini M1 in Cubase Pro 11 using a Universal Audio Apollo X4 interface. Unfreaking real!!
I can’t believe this was 99 bucks! Bought it immediately after trying it out. Running at the smallest buffer there is negligible delay.
I’m playing finger style guitar and hearing amazing piano lines from Pianoscapes, and Noire, Una Corda, and other killer libraries I use all the time with NI Komplete Kontrol.
This F’n Rocks!
Thanks so much for the heads up @bradlake !!
I just saw this and have to try it out.

7. FAS-FX Reverb has two problems under Big Sur. First, knobs are displayed with "garbage" around them. Second, the Preset picker crashes the plugin. We are aware of these and will provide updates.
Admin M@, Figure I'll ask again since we haven't had any updated information on anything relating to this 6 months down the road.
FAS-FX Reverb remains 'mostly' unusable in Big Sur (Intel).

Last edited:
It happens to me irregularly that when playing audio files via the AXE the following happens.

The audio playback is interrupted and the title is played again from the beginning.

Or the audio output is silenced and nothing is output from the AXE.
Also no guitar signal.
All outputs are muted and no OUT levels are displayed on the AXE.
After switching off and on again, the audio output works again.

Environment.
MAC-Mini M1 Big Sur 11.4
AXE.FX3 MKI FW 16.02 USB V1.10

Over 7 months now...both my previous posts/questions remain unanswered.

Any idea on when we could expect a working Big Sur compatible version of FAS-FX Reverb? We are closer to macOS Monterey than ever and we still don't have a working plugin for Big Sur!

The plugin GUI issues still crash sessions in Live 11 and Logic X. The only workaround I've found is disabling the GUI and using the parameter lists/sliders (Logic/Live 11)...doesn't seem to crash if used like this but it's not as fluid as having a fully functional GUI.

***USEFUL TIP: In Live 11 the presets are selectable from the Live device box (base of screen). In Logic X select presets from the preset section of the Logic plugin display window -- not the Preset switch on the plugin itself. Using this method prevents crashes.

It happens to me irregularly that when playing audio files via the AXE the following happens.

The audio playback is interrupted and the title is played again from the beginning.

Or the audio output is silenced and nothing is output from the AXE.
Also no guitar signal.
All outputs are muted and no OUT levels are displayed on the AXE.
After switching off and on again, the audio output works again.

Environment.
MAC-Mini M1 Big Sur 11.4
AXE.FX3 MKI FW 16.02 USB V1.10
It's been some time now and more firmware updates have been released since then.

For me, these problems have no longer appeared.

Sorry to all who've previously experienced issues with their Macs and Big Sur.

The following asks about something we'll soon need to be aware of...the impending Apple release of their next OS...Monterey.

My feeling is that FAS is working hard to stay current with their OS so that it remains compatible with new Apple OS upgrades.

Has there been any discussion within FAS that the admins can share with us regards FAS and Apple compatibility once Monterey enters the picture? If FAS prefers to not comment at this time, I understand. Yet, my curiosity is piqued. What's the good news from FAS?

Sorry to all who've previously experienced issues with their Macs and Big Sur.

The following asks about something we'll soon need to be aware of...the impending Apple release of their next OS...Monterey.

My feeling is that FAS is working hard to stay current with their OS so that it remains compatible with new Apple OS upgrades.

Has there been any discussion within FAS that the admins can share with us regards FAS and Apple compatibility once Monterey enters the picture? If FAS prefers to not comment at this time, I understand. Yet, my curiosity is piqued. What's the good news from FAS?
I glanced through the beta page for Monterrey, and didn't see anything that changed that should cause a problem. What specifically are you worried about?

See the post in the Axe-Fx II forum area.
AF2? The legacy product? Which post?

The firmware inside FAS products is entirely separate from Apple's or Microsoft's Oses. The only connection would be through USB and that's just a conduit which should continue to work as it did previously. The host-based editors for the AF3 and FM3 should be fine. For the AF2... well, all things tend toward entropy....

I glanced through the beta page for Monterrey, and didn't see anything that changed that should cause a problem. What specifically are you worried about?

No worry, specifically. Just that Monterey will be compatible for FAS' current or future OS. I realize that it seems like a general request. Could you provide a link to the page you viewed so it might be possible for me to try to understand things for myself?

No worry, specifically. Just that Monterey will be compatible for FAS' current or future OS. I realize that it seems like a general request. Could you provide a link to the page you viewed so it might be possible for me to try to understand things for myself?
I get the feeling you aren't familiar with operating systems and computer architecture.

Search for "Monterey developer notes".

That's correct. I've no personal experience as a developer, systems analyst nor IT tech. Thanks for your suggestion.
Basically, Big Sur broke a few things because the way the computer spoke- the language- changed. It didn't have to do with the operating system itself, but due to hardware changes in the newer model computers, which run this latest OS. Monterey is using the same "language" (ARM, on Apple silicon) as Big Sur, so there likely won't be any compatibility issues. Rather, I'd expect things to get better as Apple further improves the translator between the old and new language (Rosetta 2).

Intuition tells me (just a guess, take with salt) that any old Intel book running these OS versions wouldn't have an issue, since there's no translation to be made.

Correct me if any of this is wrong or difficult to understand, I'm not a mac person (yet!)

Last edited:
That's correct. I've no personal experience as a developer, systems analyst nor IT tech. Thanks for your suggestion.
As it happens, I am very familiar with operating systems and computer architecture, and your question about Monterey compatibility info from FAS is quite reasonable. I'm sure when the time comes, FAS will provide compatibility info, just like they did for Big Sur.

Back
Top Bottom