Mac OS 11 Big Sur Notices

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Notices Regarding Mac OS X Big Sur

With the release of macOS 11 Big Sur we wanted to make statements about compatibility of our products as compatibility is determined or updated.

NOTE 1: Any product that saves or creates files may require you to grant disk permissions before it can access the desktop, documents, or other protected folders.
NOTE 2: Older installers may require you to grant permission before they can be installed. Please see this support article from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

The following updates are based on the latest versions available as of November 20, 2020.

1. Axe-Edit for the Axe-Fx III is fully compatible.

2. FM3-Edit is compatible with Mac OS Big Sur, but there is a minor issue with Big Sur running on the new Apple M1 chip. In some cases, you may need to MANUALLY select the "In/Out Port" under Settings: Preferences: General. Choose the port that best match the name "/dev/cu.usbmodemXXXX" where each X is a number, or choose "FM3" if that option is listed.

3. Fractal-Bot is compatible, though like FM3-Edit above, it may also require you to manually select ports for the FM3 when used on a machine with the Apple M1.

4. Axe-Edit for the Axe-Fx II requires an update, released as a public beta. See the following forum post for details:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-3-14-6-public-beta-for-big-sur.167278/

5. AX8 Edit seems to be working fine aside from some minor graphical glitches.

6. FX8 Edit seems to be working fine aside from some minor graphical glitches.

7. FAS-FX Reverb has two problems under Big Sur. First, knobs are displayed with "garbage" around them. Second, the Preset picker crashes the plugin. We are aware of these and will provide updates.

8. The Cab-Lab plugin works, but will require you to manually grant clearance under Security and Privacy as per "NOTE 2" above. (Specifically, see the section entitled "How to open an app that hasn’t been notarized or is from an unidentified developer"). (PS: Hmm. Well, what exactly is an unidentified developer? Surely, every developer has been identified by someone. ;) TIP: If the privacy prompt isn't shown, use the plugin manager of your DAW to re-scan the plugin. Having used this method on many 3rd party plugins this week, I've noticed that it may require re-launch the DAW multiple times before things work. Finally, Cab-Lab may not prompt for permission to access protected directories; instead, it will say that an IR you try to load from one is "unavailable". We'll look in to this.

PS: We are also aware of the fact that FAS-FX Reverb and Cab-Lab are appearing in two different levels of the plugin tree (Fractal Audio vs. Fractal Audio Systems) and we'll see about addressing this.

Additional Updates will added or changed as they become available.

Hi all. Just updated to Big Sur on my iMac and now the Axe-fx II is not recognized on Axe edit, Logic, or as an available hardware device. Any advice? Thank you.

I installed the axe edit update. When I go into select ports there aren’t any to select. I tried the refresh option, but still nothing listed there. I believe my axe II is running the latest firmware, Ares 2.0.

I installed the axe edit update. When I go into select ports there aren’t any to select. I tried the refresh option, but still nothing listed there. I believe my axe II is running the latest firmware, Ares 2.0.
Do you know which USB driver you have? There are 2 on the support page & I would think you would need to have the 2019 version that came out for Catalina.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-downloads/

My report from the M1 (new Mini)..is the III mk2 and axeedit is rock solid in bigsur, work bettrr than ever with the supercharged Logic, (with no plugins excrpt the awesome and compatible Midi guitar 2)and is the only of my audio interfaces that work ......bodes fir good times ahead Except maybe for the developers

My report from the M1 (new Mini)..is the III mk2 and axeedit is rock solid in bigsur, work bettrr than ever with the supercharged Logic, (with no plugins excrpt the awesome and compatible Midi guitar 2)and is the only of my audio interfaces that work ......bodes fir good times ahead Except maybe for the developers
I'm waiting mi MBP with M1 in some weeks now, and i'm worried about this, which audio interface do you have? i'm hoping my Focusrite could work on day one but i think it won't at all. Do you have anything that is not working properly under rosetta2 in the axeedit?

Anyone with ax8edit can confirm that is working under rosetta 2?

I'm waiting mi MBP with M1 in some weeks now, and i'm worried about this, which audio interface do you have? i'm hoping my Focusrite could work on day one but i think it won't at all. Do you have anything that is not working properly under rosetta2 in the axeedit?

it works. the first post says this as well.

it saids Big Sur, not M1 based Mac's

I have UAD Apollos, they are always slow to update and do not currently work on the M1Mini , the III and axeedit are fine

Arrived M1 Mac mini today, Disconnected!. I cannot play FM3.
FM3-EDIT not Compatibile, now. Same anyone?
In FM3-Edit, click the Settings menu then Preferences.

In the Ports section, click the drop-down menu and choose the item that says “modem” in it.

It seems when the Mac (Big Sur 11.0.1) goes to sleep the FM3 Edit locks up as does the FM3 itself.
Nothing a power cycle won't correct, but it is annoying

Mac mini M1 16 GB RAM
AXE FX 2 XL+

Installed beta Axe Edit and installed USB drivers by granting permission in security. Computer only recognizes the AXE as a microphone, and AXE Edit shows no ports. Reinstalled, rebooted, power cycled, nothing.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Mac mini M1 16 GB RAM
AXE FX 2 XL+

Installed beta Axe Edit and installed USB drivers by granting permission in security. Computer only recognizes the AXE as a microphone, and AXE Edit shows no ports. Reinstalled, rebooted, power cycled, nothing.

AFAIK, FAS never made an official statement about whether this will ever be supported, so at this point you’re probably out of luck.

Mac mini M1 16 GB RAM
AXE FX 2 XL+

see Comment #6 in thread "USB Driver for Apple Silicon" (Tested with M1 Air, macOS 11.2, Axe-Edit 3.14.6 and AXE-FX II successfully)

Last edited:
Mac mini M1 16 GB RAM
AXE FX 2 XL+

I have a same problems.

Back
Top Bottom