Mac only: aggregate device mutes when the Axe-FX III is turned on

plyall

Power User
Folks,

I know a lot of you don't have Macs, and for that I beg your indulgence...

Scenario:

I have created an AGGREGATE device that includes an Apollo Twin (Thunderbolt), the Axe-FX III USB, and two RME firefaces (FW-800).

I'm particularly careful about digital sync. I have a master wordclock that sends it to 2 RME FF800's via BNC connectors. From the primary RME FF800, I also pass both ADAT sync to the Apollo, and S/PDIF sync to the Axe-FX III (and it is set to respond to it).

My main issue/problem is the loss of audio out of my aggregate device when I turn the Axe-FX III on initially. Used to drive me crazy, thinking it was a Logic problem.

Then I found the workaround - once the Axe-FX III comes fully up, unplug its USB connector cable. Wait 3-4 seconds, and then plug it back in - audio will return.

I don't know if this is a bug in Apple's 'coreaudiod' that's being exacerbated by the Axe-FX III, or whether there's a timeout somewhere when the Axe-FX III boots...

I mainly wanted to get this in front of Fractal, but I also wanted people to see the workaround I've stumbled across...

Will an "aggregate device" let me use i/o from Axe and from my Scarlett audio interface simultaneously? This is the first time I've had more than one device, so I've never needed to know before now....

I’ve seen the same thing. I can’t tell you precisely where the fault lies, but the driver is actually loaded ok, it just needs to be re-enumerated. Unplugging/plugging the AxeFX usb cable will trigger the re-enumeration, but that cable is inconveniently located in my studio, so I wrote a small program I can run to do the re-enumeration.

Last edited:
I’ve seen the same thing. I can’t tell you precisely where the fault lies, but the driver is actually loaded ok, it just needs to be re-enumerated. Unplugging/plugging the AxeFX usb cable will trigger the re-enumeration, but that cable is inconveniently located in my studio, so I wrote a small program I can run to do the re-enumeration.
are you automating a process in AudioMidi settings to reactivate the USB audio in the Aggregate?....this happens to me on a daily basis and would love to have a more elegant solution than have to mess with those settings all the time.............

I use a shell script that runs the USB Prober app, which is a developer tool from Apple. It sounds like you might be encountering a different problem, but it's hard to say.

Back
Top Bottom