M1 Pro

i'm looking to replace my tired old 2012 macbook pro that overheats as soon as you look at it. i'm actually thinking a used m1 macbook air would do me. it absolutely crushes the 2012 and no sodding fan noise. the mac mini will be next. i just hope they do one with some decent ram that isn't priced stupidly high.

Just got an overpowered WinPC laptop for work and playtime, so I don't have a need for a laptop at present. (I knew MacBook announcements were imminent when I made the decision) My 2017 iMac Pro is still holding its own, but I'm interested to see the new chips in an iMac or Mac Pro in the future. Those specs are truly impressive. I'm also happy to see the competition they are triggering from Intel and other chipmakers.

Ordered a 14" pro myself to replace my 2012 iMac. Ive waited a long time to replace this machine. I bought one of the 2016" retina macbooks and ended up returning it back in the day because of the paltry 128gb hard drive or something it came with and never got anything else. My daily job is WFH and i use 2 monitors through a thunderbolt dock, itll be nice to combine desks and just swap the thunderbolt cable from now on.

My experience has been the opposite, much to my surprise. Kontakt works fine for me.
Have you been able To get BBCSO to work if you have that? I got it for free last year. Cannot get it to run on the M1 in Logic Pro X to save my life.

The original M1 maxed out was comparable if not sometimes slightly better than the fully maxed out Intel 16" MBP. I can only imagine the M1 Pro or M1 Max being hugely better. The main problem I have is many of the plugins I use aren't M1 "supported" yet. But I'm sure that'll end soon with no more Intel MBP on the market. That said, I'm totally looking forward to an M1 Max 32 w/64GB RAM and 2 TB SSD. For my use-case 64 GB RAM is better.

The original M1 maxed out was comparable if not sometimes slightly better than the fully maxed out Intel 16" MBP. I can only imagine the M1 Pro or M1 Max being hugely better. The main problem I have is many of the plugins I use aren't M1 "supported" yet. But I'm sure that'll end soon with no more Intel MBP on the market. That said, I'm totally looking forward to an M1 Max 32 w/64GB RAM and 2 TB SSD. For my use-case 64 GB RAM is better.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of things are you doing that need 64G worth of RAM? Music production?

Looking forward to the results of these for music, hoping lowest buffer settings from song start to finished mix…

Just out of curiosity, what kind of things are you doing that need 64G worth of RAM? Music production?

I'm a software engineer, I run multiple VM's and memory-hungry tools at the same time. I have 32GB now and I'm constantly having to shuffle things around.

VMs? Windows? I wouldn't count on that on an M1 :).

I use Parallels currently on an Intel Mac with Windows 10 VM's inside. Each VM gets 16 GB. They do support the M1 chip officially now. I also use Docker.. The main reason I won't be updating just yet is because I have 100's of VST and the makers haven't (yet) officially supported M1 but are working on it.

Define "supported" :). I've used Parallels on an M1. While it is theoretically possible to run the x86 emulator from Windows ARM on Parallels, it is dog slow. Things that normally take seconds, took hours. I gave up. Crossover is even worse.

Regarding plugins, almost all plugins run, and run well, under Rosetta, so I wouldn't worry about that. Apple relented right before the official M1 release last year and included some key features that make Rosetta quite effective for plugins.

P.S. I did a lot of music production benchmarks when I first got my M1 Macmini. Even with DAWs and plugins running under Rosetta, it outperforms my 6 core MacPro!

Last edited:
image.jpg
Holy shiteballs. This thing is absolutely extraordinary. Rips thru every app I throw at it at once …. latency in audio/midi seems to have disappeared, the fan acts like it doesnt exist, dead silent. easiest and by far fastest data tranfer I have ever witnessed. AxeEdit is instantaneous.
haven’t dared the new OS yet tho...I am guessing it will be fairly painless…eventually

View attachment 90886
Holy shiteballs. This thing is absolutely extraordinary. Rips thru every app I throw at it at once …. latency in audio/midi seems to have disappeared, the fan acts like it doesnt exist, dead silent. easiest and by far fastest data tranfer I have ever witnessed. AxeEdit is instantaneous.
haven’t dared the new OS yet tho...I am guessing it will be fairly painless…eventually
Cool Brad!

Specs/model? Cost, if you don't mind?

Cool Brad!

Specs/model? Cost, if you don't mind?
3499$
The unit above contains the following options:
PROCESSOR AND GRAPHICS065-CCVJM1 Max with 10C CPU, 24C GPU
MEMORY065-CCVW32GB unified memory
POWER ADAPTER065-CCW996W USB-C Power Adapter
HARD DRIVE/SOLID STATE DRIVE065-CCW12TB SSD storage
THUNDERBOLT065-CCWF3x TB4, HDMI, SDXC, MagSafe 3
INPUT065-CCWGTouch ID