M1 Pro

GlennO

Axe-Master
14" Macbook Pro with 32 GB RAM 1TB SSD. 10 core M1 Pro with 8 performance cores. $2900.

Not quite cheap enough to make it a slam dunk decision. But for anyone looking for a laptop suitable for music production, the sky high performance/price ratio on this makes it very attractive.

The power consumption specs impressed me too.
14" would be a nice step up for me from 13".
That 16" M1 Max is sure tasty though.

Disappointed they didn't get to an M1 mini. Semiconductor shortage constraining their options, I expect. Roll out the most popular and profitable option first.

The power consumption specs impressed me too.
14" would be a nice step up for me from 13".
That 16" M1 Max is sure tasty though.
Cool and quiet is always good. But I'm not sure who these people are that Cook is referring to when he talks about doing XCode builds while on battery. I did some work on Stylus RMX on battery on transatlantic flights a while back, but other than that I've never done a build while on battery in my life :).

I have the current M1 Mac mini and it crushes. The only real problem is that so much stuff that was written for Intel-based Macs is broken on the M1 architecture. The list is long but Logic Pro vs. Spitfire even in Rosetta mode is broken (perpetual Error #1 life) and NI Kontakt are unusable for me right now.

I have the current M1 Mac mini and it crushes. The only real problem is that so much stuff that was written for Intel-based Macs is broken on the M1 architecture. The list is long but Logic Pro vs. Spitfire even in Rosetta mode is broken (perpetual Error #1 life) and NI Kontakt are unusable for me right now.
My experience has been the opposite, much to my surprise. Kontakt works fine for me.

I poked a hole in the battery of my trusty upgradeable 2012 MacBook pro 15". Makes a really cool flame thrower! Anyway I bought an M1 air when they came out, can't imagine going backwards to an Intel mac now. At some point soon I'm going to need a new laptop for gigging. Blown away by the specs on the new MBP's and had my finger on the button for a new base 16" but then I came to my senses and decided to wait for those bench marks next week. Using a 27" 2013 iMac for the AFX at the moment so its not like I don't have option but really don't want to drag that around.

Attachments

• IMG_4390.jpeg
    IMG_4390.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 18
I poked a hole in the battery of my trusty upgradeable 2012 MacBook pro 15". Makes a really cool flame thrower!

I did this with my phone battery when I replaced it. How on earth did you poke a hole in your MBP battery though? :eek:

I was being a lazy ass. I had knocked the left front foot off and had ordered some new ones. I had a custom vinyl sticker on the bottom and didn't want to destroy that to get to the screws to pull the bottom cover. Bottom case had the center of the old foot stuck in it and I was trying to pry it out with a pointy pick. Well you know the rest. So now the thing is spewing flame like a road flare in the middle of the house fogging everything out. In a panic I grab it and have to go through three doors to get outside, Naturally bashed my head on one door jamb bending the hell out of my glasses and knocking those off. Wish I had that video of how not to be a dumb ass.

Attachments

• IMG_4392.jpg
    IMG_4392.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom