LUKATHER 'S SOUND

Thanks guys :) Yep, directly into computer and Sonar X1, the backing track was found from Youtube. Unfortunately I have no access into my computer and AXE-FX II for a couple of days but I will share the preset as soon as possible.

Regarding the tweaking, I think effect wise the Soldano X99-based solo preset by Niklas is pretty much spot on but the amp simulation has changed during the resent firmware changes, so some adjustments was needed. Also other personal equipment (guitar, pickups etc.) are always different and has an effect on the final result. In addition to that, I used my own Mesa Thiele 1X12 EVM-12L IR for this, that of course is a big contributor to the tone. I will deliver that also with the patch.

Got a chance to open my computer :) Here is the tweaked preset of Niklas and the IR-capture of Mesa Thiele, hopefully it behaves well for others too.

Attachments

• LUKATHER 1990 LEAD-V6.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Mesa 1X12 THIELE EV12L-SM57.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 108
What do you mean exactly by "direct with no power amp"?

I think he means that the AxeII's xlr out or maybe digital out was used to record this clip.
You could run the signal to a normal poweramp and record the clip with a mic.
In that case the sound would be very hard to reproduce by just using a shared preset from the clip above....

I think he means that the AxeII's xlr out or maybe digital out was used to record this clip.
You could run the signal to a normal poweramp and record the clip with a mic.
In that case the sound would be very hard to reproduce by just using a shared preset from the clip above....

Sorry, i think my computer did not refresh this page, so the correct answer was already given, sorry.....

Got it! Yeah, I wasn't sure because I was reading some other post about Luke going direct to the desk for some of his recorded tones on previous albums, so I wasn't sure if he was referring to that sort of situation. I just *assume* most peoples recordings are all AXE FX unless otherwise noted.... thanks for the clarification!

macegtr - thanks for the preset AND the Thiele IR.. I'm excited to check this one out.

One clarification regarding the amp settings. In the original preset, Niklas had the poweramp sim switched off to simulate the Lukather's rig at that time (he used a solid state amp with the x99). In my modified preset I have taken the freedom to put in on :) But feel free to compare the difference by turning the amp sag setting to 0.

That era is the Rivera amp. Very very unique amp (I owned one). Very fuzzy, compressed and muddy. I'll do a tone match for you and upload in a minute.

Niklas,

That´s really surprising, I really like his sound on the Lukather & Carlton DVD a lot. Very muscular and musical at the same time. One of my favourite sounds of his.

Dan Ove

All of that is history. The new CD will feature a Kemper and a Yamaha THR ;)

1d5f34195172705.jpg

LUKE'S NEXT RECORD - Episode 1: This Is The Guy - YouTube

The song before (mine flat): Toto caught in the balance by GROWEN on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
The song with your help (better but needs some additional work) : Toto caught in the balance2 by GROWEN on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

The rivera is very explosive (not sure it is very modern, but very pleasant to practice)

I will make the same test with Niklas preset, but i have to learn how to reamp first .... i think i could gain some time ...

Thank's for all

Back
Top Bottom