LUKATHER 'S SOUND

growen

Hello,

my guitar is a MusicMan Luke 2, but i cannot get a LUKATHER'S LIKE sound ! from axe fx 2
I'm trying to find the sound of "Caught in the balance" from 'livefield',

Can anyone help me ?

I'm the biggest Lukather nut there is, and I don't find it that difficult. Granted, I'm not trying to get his Rivera tone, but his other tones are in there, exept his Soldano rhythm tone.

I once was half as nutty as Niklas and just using my Luke II with any of the good Luke style amps and skipping through stock cabs reminded me of many Luke sounds I didn't expect to find so easily.

OTOH, I'm not that overly critical. If it has the vibe, I'm happy. Mostly the Axe sounds better when I check back on the Luke sounds :mrgreen and I quit chasing that.

Also check the big Luke threads:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...-final-mystery.html?highlight=lukather+delays
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ive-paris-tone.html?highlight=lukather+delays

@growen ....,

I'm not exactly familar with those specific tonez .... But here's what I'd do ....

Scott Peterson just put out a bunch of tweaked presets based on the first 50 or so in the Axe II. He's done a version of the CA3-SE that sounded farily close to Luke's "raw" CAE tone. So start with that ....

Then, comb Nikklas's thread that vAmp referenced. In there I think you'll find more than enough information to program both the "circular delay" and "panned delay" from the PCM's that he used ....

After that you need a Chorus similar to the Tri-Stereo ( Enzo just did a thread with a CE-2 that he said is "close" ) .... Finally, I think the Detune settings Luke used are identical to the settings EVH used in their Eventides .... The settings for that are also posted somewhere in the forum ....

After that all you should need is the licks ....

Good Luck !

ok,so could you help me to get it's sound in "Caught in the balance" from "LIveFields"?
Personally, I'm not interested (nor able maybe :mrgreen). I think I've heard the sounds though, just by skipping though cabs.

I don't think you need detune or chorus for that era/song? I'd use just a delay.

To me it seems as simple as to vary the drive a bit from the CAE rhythm and/or your guitar volume.
And I believe much of it is played with fingers and on the neck pickup?

For the solo, there's a legato lick in there, so maybe he used a boost pedal. That's for Niklas:geek to say...

I do know that CD sounds exceptionally good, so blame some of it on the production.

OTOH, wasn't that the CD where he recorded a lot with a small Marshall combo? (probably was the last CD...) I still remember him telling about that, and that it was a myth that he needed the huge racks. The key might even more be lying in the cab you select.
And a lot of the sound is from the smaller teardrop pick... ;)

BTW: that's the song I always put on full blast when it comes up :D

Last edited:
That era is the Rivera amp. Very very unique amp (I owned one). Very fuzzy, compressed and muddy. I'll do a tone match for you and upload in a minute.

Here you go! There really isn't any amp that's close to the Bonehead in the Axe (or in real life either). I picked the amp that sounded closest and did a tone match from a live recording straight from the desk where there is just Lukes guitar, nothing else.

Attachments

• BONE LUKE.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Also check out Niklas` other Luke presets if they are still around, one clean and one dirty(Paris live-era)
I have used them with a coverband on some Toto stuff and gotten loads of questions on what I was using, sounded dead on.
Unfortunately the latest firmware update has done something to them and I am no big tweaker really but they can be dialed back I am sure.

Niklas has a great ear for this stuff and these are some of the few presets that have impressed me here!

Yeah, those old presets. I'll get around to update them (I just got home from a short "tour" yesterday and now I managed to get sick). I don't know what I should do with the IRs though. It will get closer with user IRs (Red Wirez), but for people without them, they will be pretty useless. The other options is to use stock IRs, but they don't sound as close.

People that are serious will have them or get them ;)
You shouldn't work for people that are not serious :p

Also being a Lukather-fan, I took the already awesome Paris-Live-era preset made by Niklas and with some minor tweaking came up with this one. I know, this is not the sound what the Growen is looking for but still pretty nice :)

Also being a Lukather-fan, I took the already awesome Paris-Live-era preset made by Niklas and with some minor tweaking came up with this one. I know, this is not the sound what the Growen is looking for but still pretty nice :)

Sounds great man! I hope that was direct with no power amp. Please very and share when you get a chance. Nice playing too, excellent feel!

Would you be kind enough to share this preset? I totally dig this sound too, maybe i can learn something out of it iin my Axe process....:razz

Back
Top Bottom