Lube Your Nuts?

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
I am an avid user of Big Bends Nut Sauce for all of my non-locking Floyd Rose guitars. That stuff works wonders for tuning. Back in my early years of playing I had tuning issues with pretty much all of my guitars, but that was before I learned to lube my nuts. Obviously it is of no use for guitars with a locking FR or roller nuts, but for bone, plastic or anything else, it works great.

Any other Big Bends fans out there? If not Big Bends, what do you do to help tuning stability by preventing strings from binding in the nut?

It takes a lot of balls to admit you're a nut luber...lol.

I just recently bought some but wasn't really having issues so I can't attest to how well it works. I will say it's expensive as all get out. There has to be some similar commercial product for less $$$. I have visions of someone in a back room with a 5 gallon bucket of something refilling tiny syringes making $50,000.00 per gallon.

So it's for guitar nuts?? Damn ...... I thought at that price it was for luxuriating the nethers.

I jest (Deep Heat works better).... I do use it on a couple of guitars ... does seem to work but can't help wondering if a bit of graphite mixed with some silicon gel wouldn't do the same job

I do use it for my nuts - prevents that "ping" string pinching sound as well. I can also tell when its wearing out and a good indicator I need to change my strings... Good stuff though !

I've never used it.

I've had very minor issues over the years but take my guitars to a guitar shop for minor smoothing to remedy.

I use GHS Rene Martinez Graphitall on all my nut slots, string trees and saddles regardless of type of bridge.
Before, I used pencil graphite, Chapstick and the tiniest amount of WD40, respectively.
I'm super confident with my guitar setups! YMMV

I haven't been able to find any solid info on what is in Big Bends Nut Sauce. If I had to guess, I'd say fine PTFE (Teflon) powder suspended in some kind of synthetic grease carrier. Most likely, it's nothing more that something like this sold in tiny quantities with a huge markup.

Amazon product ASIN B000XBH9HI

It works, I've used it- but it's pricey as hell, but a little bit lasts a while. Great for saddles too

And I don't know why you say 'non floyd' because It works great on Floyd guitars too.

When I don't have any or i'm cheap i just pencil in the nut really fast with a pencil and get the graphite in there

I think the original stuff we're talking about was invented by a former guitar tech of prince.

Nut Sauce helps if you're having tuning issues. But if you have tuning issues or you're hearing the dreaded Ping! when you tune, and Nut Sauce helps fix that, you should probably get the nut fixed instead.

In my experience, Nut Sauce is just as effective as (and feels like) Vaseline.

you should probably get the nut fixed

+1

pinging is a symptom of improperly cut slot or an improperly sized slot relative to string gauge. Once the slots are right, I'll use them un-lubed for awhile to let the strings create the final seat then lube the slots to slow down any wear from regular use but not to correct tuning issues.

I use it on my PRS, which has locking tuners, but no locking bridge. I also use it on a Gibson explorer equipped with a Stetsbar. The PRS can go with or without, but nut sauce is essential for the stetsbar. I don't use it on Floyds or Kahlers - no need I think, and it IS a bit pricey!

Pivot points on a Floyd or Edge trem do wonders for tuning stability too. had a Ibanez 550 the edge was not returning to pitch, little dab on the posts and now it's perfect. What's 20 bux, when you dumped 2k on a modeler lol, bunch of cheap arses...

"Of course I'm cheap.... how do you think I got so rich?"
-Thurston Howell III

(Ok, I made that up ... but it's a reasonable paraphrase).

Back
Top Bottom