LPD Tone Clone - Whitesnake John Sykes Bad Boys / Still Of The Night

groovenut

Power User
Another of my favorite guitar tones from the 80's. The way this album was recorded, yielded huge sounding guitars. For much of the Whitesnake '87 album John used 2 Mesa Boogie Coliseum heads. These amps have a Mark III pre-amp section but use six 6L6 power tubes--giving the amps180 watts each! So I used the Mark II C+ model and gave it some more juice.

The first video is a comparison of four examples of the intro to Bad Boys

The next video is the AxeFx II preset over a backing track freely available on the web (not even close to the original in sonics). Something everyone should be aware of is how much the backing track effects how we perceive the sonics of the guitar track. For instance, this backing track is obviously of digital creation given it's frequency range. Whereas the original is analog and lacks the extreme lows and highs, but has more midrange punch.

As always I look forward to your feedback on the match.

Dead on match man, great job. Though I'm fairly sure in the first video that Examples 1&3 are John Sykes and 2&4 are the Axe-Fx (there's a telltale sign that gives it away a little bit...............unless I'm wrong, then I'll just look like an idiot :mrgreen).

Will you be posting the patch (interested in the George Lynch one as well)?

IMO the second and fourth sounds better, they are more directly, but the difference over all is not much to my ears, the still of the night thing sounds great to me, I like the song and the playing of John Sykes - please share your patch.

Here is an extended version of the Bad Boys clip I did. This should give better idea of how it sounds in a mix. I apologize for the cheazy backing track. It's the free from the web one and its pretty bad, but it'll do.

Was the backing track bad? Sounded OK so far. I'd love a pointer to that if someone has a moment.

There is a really crappy keyboard part that comes in with the drums. They're mixed too loud and mysteriously cut out after a small bit. The end of the clip is better because there's no keys. I think the bass is a keyboard as well, but at least it's mixed a little better.

Thanks groovenut. Just sent a small token of my appreciation for your efforts. Keep up the good work. Would love to hear some early van halen/ crue feelgood era/ and any hendrix. Say axis for example. Hope the other forumites reward your awesome work. I will stay tuned. Awesome work!

Some other requests would be ozzy flyin high again. Thin lizzy jailbreak era, queen fat bottom girls, los lonely boys heaven. Keep em coming!

hmmmmmmmm this is one patch I'd like to see, I love the sound of that Album

Last edited:
I would encourage you guys who want the patch to consider donations to Lawrence. He's going out of his way to help our Axe II experience and I for one appreciate it. These presets really sound good. Let's encourage him to keep going with this by pitching in some donations to him.

Please put this preset on AxeChange! :)

P.S. The telltale sign I mentioned in my first post was a slight nuance in the playing, not a detectable difference in the tone.

So the presets are available for sale?

I have no issue with that, but I prefer calling things what they are.

Currently, no. There is no set amount for the donation. Everyone who donates does so on their own terms and in a manner that works best for them. I may at some time in the future have to go to a "pay per preset" system, but for now the volunteer system is working well. I have adopted a policy of pre-releasing the latest/newest presets to my list of current donors two weeks before making them available on Axe-change. This of course is to encourage people to donate so that I can continue to release the presets for free. The only exception to this are presets that I have custom built for individuals who want them kept confidential.

Reactions: Ole
Back
Top Bottom