LPD Tone Clone - Van Halen You Really Got Me

groovenut

Power User

Let me start by saying this one still needs some refining. I started building this preset with the ideal of having it sound just like the recorded track. Tone, effects, stereo panning etc all just like the album. After getting everything really close (like you're hearing it), I wanted to throw the TM block on to put the polishing touches in place. However I ran into a problem with the TM block eliminating my stereo field. No matter where I put it in the chain after the cab (which is where I pan the signal to the left) it pulls the output back to mono. Has anyone else encountered this? If so what did you find as a remedy?

I think the tone is 90-95% there, with most of the differences coming in my not completely copping Eddies vibe. There may be just a hair too much gain, but I am thinking it (after playing it a few days) that it's my palm muting on the recorded track. It doesn't behave like there is too much gain live.

So this one is still a bit of a work in progress, but I wanted to put it up to get some feedback. I think the verb is pretty spot on. I will try and do one for the solo using a flanger as well.

Thanks for listening!

Yea your right,its his hands,hard to get the squeals, and harmonic exacly right ,I'm sure he didn't sound the same each time he played it. Great tone match. The new verb in the axe really adds space.

sounds really close man... looking forward to the additon of the flanger. are u going to add a delay option in there as well
for some of his other solos???

To me it sounds as spot as you can get other than what you said 'bout trimming a smidgin' of gain off. I just don't think the Axe II or anything else for that matter will ever be able to nail a particular tone to 100% perfection. Too many HUMAN variables... but that does not take anything away from how incredible this Axe II monster really is.

Last edited:
sounds really close man... looking forward to the additon of the flanger. are u going to add a delay option in there as well
for some of his other solos???
There is a delay in the patch as well as the flanger and phaser (all bypassed for this clip)

Example two is smackin' at the door for sure... Has more of that bacon fryin'

Just in case I wasn't clear enough, Example one is yours truly through the AxeFx II and Example 2 is the actual Van Halen recording for reference.

Last edited:
There is a delay in the patch as well as the flanger and phaser (all bypassed for this clip)

Just in case I wasn't clear enough, Example one is yours truly through the AxeFx II and Example 2 is the actual Van Halen recording for reference.

:mrgreen I guess I'll stand by what I said LOL

Sounds really good man. Curious about not being able to pan a TM'd tone though.will have to dick with that. Wonder if Cliff would add the ability for a second block in future firmware to dial in signature stereo tones.

I would love that preset:D:D:D

Really cool! Do you have a Preset for us????

Currently, I pre-release the new presets to donors first. Roughly two weeks after the clips are posted the presets will be available on Axe-change.
Sounds really good man. Curious about not being able to pan a TM'd tone though.will have to dick with that. Wonder if Cliff would add the ability for a second block in future firmware to dial in signature stereo tones.
Thanks! The TMA black currently has the ability to pan, but in this case it really messed with the panning that was set up for the patch even when I matched the panning of the cabs to the left. It also canceled out the cool right overflow reverb that MAKES the tone. So I just did it without it. I am sure if I had started with the TM and then added all the panning and effects, I could have found a way to make it work. I think there is a limitation on storage in the preset file that keeps a second TMA from being added (this according to something I read from Javajunkie).

Another great one, Lawrence!

For reference... what type of guitar and pickups did you use?

Thank you!

The guitar I used was a Fender Strat Plus with a maple neck and fingerboard, Duncan Custom Custom pickup. It's the closest thing I have to the Frankenstrat.

Great work as always....very very close for sure. As you mention, it's his hands that make the difference beyond the tone.

Care to share what amp you used for your starting point on this one?

Back
Top Bottom