LPD Tone Clone - Tool Schism Adam Jones

groovenut

Power User

Hey all! Here is the latest in the Tool preset saga. Let me know what you think. One take is the original.

Last edited:
1st is original, Great match, The recording of the song gave it away.:D Your definitely putting the time in theses,they sound great

I'd also say 1st is original, but that took me some careful listening and I could only tell by the way it's recorded (the panning, for example).
Sounds dead on, great job!
What guitar is used?

1st is original, Great match, The recording of the song gave it away.:D Your definitely putting the time in theses,they sound great

I'd also say 1st is original, but that took me some careful listening and I could only tell by the way it's recorded (the panning, for example).
Sounds dead on, great job!
What guitar is used?

Interesting that you both point to the recording as the give away and not the tone or playing.

The guitar used was a Gibson Les Paul with a Duncan F-spaced JB in the bridge.

Interesting that you both point to the recording as the give away and not the tone or playing.

No way. It is obviously the second that is the original recording. Pretty awesome tonematch though for sure. For me the playing was the giveaway. In no way is that meant as a slight to you Law. Adam has unmistakably precise palm muting and "chugga chugga"(listen to JAMBI for the best example of this). Also that last little note with delay on it at 1:41 is etched in my brain. Ha! I have listened to this song critically many times so I will be ashamed if I am wrong :? I wouldn't have guessed that you were using a Les Paul though. His sound seems more low mid heavy than in your example. When I listen with high quality headphones the match sounds closer (except for the fx) but on just laptop speakers your guitar sounded thinner. This leads me to believe that the top end of the tonematch isn't perfect since alot of the lower frequency stuff disappears on crappy laptop speakers. But this is really nitpicky stuff. I think this technology is simply amazing. Keep up the great work. Do you put these up on AxeChange? I would love to compare them to my tonematch attempt although mine was based off of his 10,000 Days guitar sound which is my favorite tone of all the albums.

The LP fits this sound well, it seems.

Ok, when I listened to this I was pretty confident I know the original well enough. It's been quite some time since I listened to it, but years ago Lateralus got alot of rotation.
So I took the CD to have an uncompressed file. Result:
1) Soundcloud compression affects the sound more than I thought; so compared to the CD both "takes" lack high frequ. content, which makes it harder to judge how close the tone match is.
2) Groovenut, you played a trick on us by "remixing" the original, didn't you? :) I thought the stereo spread and relative level of the guitar would give it away...
3) I took a part of a few seconds and switched between both soundcloud takes and the CD and now have to agree that Tonemeister is probably right: second take is original, although its differently mixed. Indeed some tiny playing nuances are notable but for me only by directly comparing it to the CD.

That said, I still think it's almost as good as it gets, both playing and tone, and anybody trying to cover that song (especially without the original equipment!) should be happy with that outcome.

The LP fits this sound well, it seems.

Ok, when I listened to this I was pretty confident I know the original well enough. It's been quite some time since I listened to it, but years ago Lateralus got alot of rotation.
So I took the CD to have an uncompressed file. Result:
1) Soundcloud compression affects the sound more than I thought; so compared to the CD both "takes" lack high frequ. content, which makes it harder to judge how close the tone match is.

It does mess with the sound a LOT! Which is why I try to include an original track that has undergone the same compression, hopefully equalizing the effect on both source and match.

2) Groovenut, you played a trick on us by "remixing" the original, didn't you? :) I thought the stereo spread and relative level of the guitar would give it away...

The remix was totally incidental. I had the regular non-multi track stems to work with and wound up mixing the vocals about 3 dB too loud. Sorry! The video has a better vocal mix, more like the CD.

3) I took a part of a few seconds and switched between both soundcloud takes and the CD and now have to agree that Tonemeister is probably right: second take is original, although its differently mixed. Indeed some tiny playing nuances are notable but for me only by directly comparing it to the CD.

Yes, as Tonemeister said, the delay at 1:41 was the intentionally left out bit. Every other difference was me not perfectly copping Adams vibe.

That said, I still think it's almost as good as it gets, both playing and tone, and anybody trying to cover that song (especially without the original equipment!) should be happy with that outcome.

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and give your feedback!

Last edited:
Agreed I think he may have remixed the original using the stems which is fair Otherwise I think the mix would have been a dead giveaway

Back
Top Bottom