LPD Tone Clone - Tool Parabola Adam Jones V7

groovenut

Power User

In celebration of V7 and the new Dizzy, I thought this would be fitting. Adam Jones uses a combination of a Diezel and a Marshall Super Bass. It's a very interesting tone. It almost sounds to me like it was recorded direct either without a speaker cab or blending one in. There's a ton of high frequencies there that shouldn't be if a cab were used, or maybe some post recording mojo going on. At any rate, the differences in playing should give away which is which, but I don't think the tone will.

Good job as always Groovenut.
I never noticed that blended tone until just now. It is an odd one.
Thanks for posting.

Second one is the real one. But you did a really good job.

I think on the real one it sounds like the lead part is played on the bridge pickup with the tone control rolled off. Or maybe even a wah-wah cocked to the middle? That's kind of what gave it away to me.

Also, maybe he mics his cabs right on the center of the cone to get all that high freq action? Or do you think there are even more high freqs that than would provide?

Second one is the real one. But you did a really good job.

I think on the real one it sounds like the lead part is played on the bridge pickup with the tone control rolled off. Or maybe even a wah-wah cocked to the middle? That's kind of what gave it away to me.

Also, maybe he mics his cabs right on the center of the cone to get all that high freq action? Or do you think there are even more high freqs that than would provide?

Thanks Adam!

From what I saw on the analyzer there was about a 12 - 20dB boost in frequencies above about 7~8K. I would think even mic-ing the center wouldn't produce that, but I could of course be wrong.

Nice Tools...

Thanks Adam!

From what I saw on the analyzer there was about a 12 - 20dB boost in frequencies above about 7~8K. I would think even mic-ing the center wouldn't produce that, but I could of course be wrong.

Hi groovenut,

Great job...Thanks for this!

FYI: The added high-end might be a result of Adam Jones "diming" the highest two frequency-boosts (3.2KHz & 6.4 KHz!) on is old DOD FX-40B pedal graphic-EQ which hits the front-end of BOTH his amps in parallel (Modded 1976 Marshall Superbass Amp & 1996 Diezel VH-4 Channel-3)... Depending on how wide of an effect these boosts have on their neighboring-frequencies, I would say that could explain the proliferation of high-end (you had noted around 7KHz - 8KHz, which is believable, but I'm surprised you didn't see that bump start a little lower, unless it was EQ'd-out on mixdown because it may have stepped on the vocals and/or snare-drum too much? Who knows?!? I own an old 1983 Silverburst LP-Custom - with a Duncan JB in the bridge-position (I believe Adam's "favorite/Stimpy" is either a '78 or '79?) and I've found the pickup to be upper-mid heavy, while the guitar resonates quite a bit of lows & highs on it's own, and his MESA cabs are rather bottom and low-mid heavy, so when you add all of that up, he has a rather broad tonal/frequency-spectrum covered there - LOL! My ears have always thought that he had a lot of upper-mid and presence, so your findings are consistent with mine...I think the constant drop-tunings (usually drop-D, but (B E D G B E) on "Parabol/Parabola") and the amazing rhythm-section work of Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor fake most listeners into thinking there's more low-end in the guitar than there really is! It's a little bit like how a lot of guitarists think that Led Zeppelin, AC-DC, or Rage Against The Machine use more gain than they actually do, because the parts are "played heavy" as opposed to being "gain-heavy!"

Does that make any sense?

I should add that Adam Jones does roll his guitar's tone-control down (or even OFF!) at times ("Hooker With a Penis" and "Jimmy") and he often engages the Dunlop 535Q Wah in a heel-heavy/throaty low/low-mid position (usually on leads or single-note lines!)

...Not that I'm a fan or anything - LOL!

Bill

Thanks for all the great info Bill! It explains quite a bit of his tone. and yes I agree that most think he has a lot of low end in his guitar tone and that simply isnt the case. It's all coming from the rhythm section.

Groovenut how did you make this recorded example? Are you mixing yourself into the track from the CD or do you have the bass/vox and drums separate somehow? For what it's worth, I could only really tell Adam's playing was the second bit because of his bended note at the end. He always loves to bend from a minor 7th up to a unison and vise vera for the dissonance.

Groovenut how did you make this recorded example? Are you mixing yourself into the track from the CD or do you have the bass/vox and drums separate somehow? For what it's worth, I could only really tell Adam's playing was the second bit because of his bended note at the end. He always loves to bend from a minor 7th up to a unison and vise vera for the dissonance.

I have the stems for the song, so I just eliminated Adams guitar and recorded mine. I try to do something small on purpose to set the two recordings apart. For this slip it was the lack of a unison on the bend. Thanks for the kind words!

Hi groovenut,

Have you uploaded, or are you planning to upload this Tool tone-clone to Axe-Change? It's really good!

Bill
Thanks Bill! This is the first of three Tool presets I have been commissioned to do. They will probably be up on Axe-change a few weeks after I get them finished.

I have the stems for the song, so I just eliminated Adams guitar and recorded mine. I try to do something small on purpose to set the two recordings apart. For this slip it was the lack of a unison on the bend. Thanks for the kind words!
If I may ask, how did you get the stems? That is a huge help for tone matching in the Axe.

Thanks Bill! This is the first of three Tool presets I have been commissioned to do. They will probably be up on Axe-change a few weeks after I get them finished.

Hi groovenut,

Thanks man that's great!

FYI: I tried to donate to your $$-acct earlier today, but it "kicked my card back" because my csv-info (those last three-digits on my actual card) is un-readable (I guess I gotta get a new card!) As soon as I get this rectified, I'll throw you a bone - LOL!

Bill

Stem the tide...

groovenut,

Lemme guess - The three Tool-songs you're cloning are: "Parabola" (which you already did), "Schism", and "Vicarious."

These are my guesses, because these seem to be Tool's most readily available multitrack-stems...

Bill

Hi groovenut,

Thanks man that's great!

FYI: I tried to donate to your $$-acct earlier today, but it "kicked my card back" because my csv-info (those last three-digits on my actual card) is un-readable (I guess I gotta get a new card!) As soon as I get this rectified, I'll throw you a bone - LOL!

Bill
Thank you in advance for your support and donation! Being a donor has it's benefits :D
groovenut,

Lemme guess - The three Tool-songs you're cloning are: "Parabola" (which you already did), "Schism", and "Vicarious."

These are my guesses, because these seem to be Tool's most readily available multitrack-stems...

Bill
Bill,

You are correct sir!!! I really had no clue about stems and such until about a week ago. They do make life much easier for me as I dont have to filter all the other instruments to get to the guitar tone. I have to say listening to stems of solo guitar tracks is a bit of a let down. It takes all the magic of the mix away leaving every little bump in the track. I almost prefer filtering by ear as I can still get the magic ;)

groovenut,

Bill
I've heard the reason for this is because of people hacking the audio from Guitar Hero or Rock Band and games like that which had the actual multitrack stems from the master recordings. Totally horrible for the bands in question but totally awesome for us.

Sounds pretty good

Adam's Marshall Super Bass was modded by Dave Friedman. (I put a lot of research into his rig)
I even had a 79 silverburst
I believe he also uses a SD F-spaced JB

I would try blending the Friedman BE with the VH4 channel 3

Back
Top Bottom