LPD Tone Clone - Splawn Quickrod V7 All Gears OD1 and OD2 AxeFx II

groovenut

Power User
This is a demo of the LPD Tone Clone presets for my Splawn Quickrod gears 1, 2, and 3 both OD1 and OD2.

I have to hand it to Cliff. The Splawn model in the AxeFx II is really spot on to how my Splawn reacts and sounds. I am fairly certain that Cliff modeled Gear 2 OD1 based on my experience in matching it today. As part of the match, I made an IR of the speaker cab I used (Avatar 2X12 Vintage with 1980s Celestion G12M70s) so that in the preset, if you choose to use it with a power amp and real speaker cab you can bypass the cab block and have only the amp info in the TMA block. Likewise you can replace the cab in the cab block with any you choose.

All controls were placed at noon on both the model and amp. The gain levels were matched using the guitar volume knob at different levels. The guitar used for the match and demo is a 95 Fender American Strat Plus with a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge tuned a half step down. I am very satisfied with the match and I will be posting an "in mix" clip soon.

Thank you for your feedback and support!

Edit: I am sure some will ask "Why amp match now that we have the Splawn model?" For me, two reasons. First I wanted to see if I could find what the nay sayers were talking about in regards to "inaccuracy" with the model. IMO there are no inaccuracies. The model sounds and behaves just like my real QR. Second, I wanted to see how close the models voice got to my QRs for reference in preset building. I am happy to report that it is very close. My QR has a little less bass and treble, and a little more mids than the model. This could be the model or it could be the difference in tubes and guitars. Hard to definitively tell.

Last edited:
Not even looking at the YouTube video posted: In a blind tone test...?? You got me. Differences are so, so minute that it's pretty much not even worth mentioning. Pretty impressive Lawrence.

Not even looking at the YouTube video posted: In a blind tone test...?? You got me. Differences are so, so minute that it's pretty much not even worth mentioning. Pretty impressive Lawrence.

Swass are you saying you would rather not waste 5 minutes of your life and you're just going to trust me on this one? :D

I pride myself in my ears and what they tell me, (borderline cockiness you could say... j/k). YES... I trust your hard work, lol. My problem with most matches are my guitars. I use pretty low output pu's and involves tweaking which makes it somewhat difficult to match the match. But nonetheless, your work is excellent... and that's plain to see.(edit)... 'er... hear. :D

Clarification: I listened to the audio of the YouTube clip w/o watching what was what. I'm certainly not going to make a comment without listening. :D

Last edited:
Perhaps I should do an input matching tutorial. Your "problem with most matches" is a very common one (maybe the most common) and it would probably be of great assistance to some.

Have you measured you pickup output? IE with the input A/D levels in the I/O menu can you hit red with the level all the way up?

Two things catch my ear. Clarity and distortion characteristics. Clarity can be improved with the xfmr match knob being turned to the left. As to the distortion characteristics, that's probably gonna have to be a Cliff thing. I hear it in other models and samples as well and mostly on low power chords.

Two things catch my ear. Clarity and distortion characteristics. Clarity can be improved with the xfmr match knob being turned to the left. As to the distortion characteristics, that's probably gonna have to be a Cliff thing. I hear it in other models and samples as well and mostly on low power chords.

Totally agree with the xfmr match observation. It only took me about a minute to have the clarity issue solved. Believe it or dont, the distortion characteristics can be improved by tweaking the bright cap value a bit. My theory on the issue there is the taper of the real gain pot verses the virtual one and its interaction with the bright cap value.

This is a demo of the LPD Tone Clone presets for my Splawn Quickrod gears 1, 2, and 3 both OD1 and OD2.

I have to hand it to Cliff. The Splawn model in the AxeFx II is really spot on to how my Splawn reacts and sounds. I am fairly certain that Cliff modeled Gear 2 OD1 based on my experience in matching it today. As part of the match, I made an IR of the speaker cab I used (Avatar 2X12 Vintage with 1980s Celestion G12M70s) so that in the preset, if you choose to use it with a power amp and real speaker cab you can bypass the cab block and have only the amp info in the TMA block. Likewise you can replace the cab in the cab block with any you choose.

All controls were placed at noon on both the model and amp. The gain levels were matched using the guitar volume knob at different levels. The guitar used for the match and demo is a 95 Fender American Strat Plus with a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge tuned a half step down. I am very satisfied with the match and I will be posting an "in mix" clip soon.

Thank you for your feedback and support!

Edit: I am sure some will ask "Why amp match now that we have the Splawn model?" For me, two reasons. First I wanted to see if I could find what the nay sayers were talking about in regards to "inaccuracy" with the model. IMO there are no inaccuracies. The model sounds and behaves just like my real QR. Second, I wanted to see how close the models voice got to my QRs for reference in preset building. I am happy to report that it is very close. My QR has a little less bass and treble, and a little more mids than the model. This could be the model or it could be the difference in tubes and guitars. Hard to definitively tell.

Im scouring your name website etc. where are these presets?

Perhaps I should do an input matching tutorial. Your "problem with most matches" is a very common one (maybe the most common) and it would probably be of great assistance to some.

Have you measured you pickup output? IE with the input A/D levels in the I/O menu can you hit red with the level all the way up?

My input level in the I/O menu is "cranked" and does tickle the red but very periodic and not consistently. I have the input trim, (adv. param. pg.) dialed up a bit as well to compensate. I've read the pu output and it's pretty much all the same on all my guitars as the pu are the same model. Been using them for almost 30 years... and a couple of them look it too. 8)

My input level in the I/O menu is "cranked" and does tickle the red but very periodic and not consistently. I have the input trim, (adv. param. pg.) dialed up a bit as well to compensate. I've read the pu output and it's pretty much all the same on all my guitars as the pu are the same model. Been using them for almost 30 years... and a couple of them look it too. 8)

I would think as long as you can get the red to flicker, you should be good.

Im sorry but... c'mon man, this is a community and everybody else shares their presets. If you're gonna request money for your presets at least post in classified section.

Are you serious? Really? First off, everybody does not share their presets. Many do, many more do not. Many artists have been asked and politely declined to share as is their right. And yet the ever present self-entitled types give them crap for holding their work close to the vest.

Secondly, groovenut does not REQUEST money for his patches. He simply has made it tastefully known in his signature that he will take donations for his efforts. Over the last couple months he has been a preset creation machine. We are not talking a couple little tweaks here or there and toss it on Exchange type presets. We are talking well thought out and researched tones that take a lot of effort. And 95% of them are there for the taking on Axe-Exchange.

I personally donated a few bucks because I appreciate the effort and subsequent quality of his contributions in addition to his generosity in making them available to everyone. He goes the extra mile for those who help support his hard work and emails the presets to you saving you the efforts needed to find and download them. What is so wrong with putting one or two aside as a perk for those who appreciate his work? He never requested money as you misstated. He has supplied 30+ presets on Axe Exchange to date.

I asked him if he would be willing to attend the Axe Fest in October and volunteer his knowledge and received a positive reply even though it’s an 8 hour drive on his part. How selfish!

I normally wouldn’t have bothered to reply to this post as I don’t feel Lawrence needs to be defended with his history here. However, it just really rubbed me the wrong way when it comes from a member with a grand total of zero offerings on Exchange and 9 posts on the forum with one of them being this self-entitled gem…

“Plus if you are going to release a software for it, it should work FULLY. Take FAMC for example... I had an issue with their software to configure the LF+ 12+. It was fixed and a new version released the SAME DAY. I know that may be asking too much but when I pay $2200 for the device, that's what I should get.”

C'mon man…

Reactions: Ole
Back
Top Bottom