LPD Tone Clone Splawn Quickrod Amp Match

groovenut

Power User
Ok all, here is my first attempt at matching an amp. I followed the amp matching tutorial closely, built my cab IR, did the TM and got what I think is a pretty good match. It might need some minor tweaking though.

Les Paul -> Splawn Quickrod -> Avatar 2X12 Celestion G12M70

The recordings are just some chord riff I came up with, and I am sure you will be sick of it by the time you are finished listening to the examples. My criteria was to get the same tone and feel as the amp, so the recordings are at two guitar volume pot levels. First at full volume, then with the volume pot at 3 to match the gain reduction in the model with the real deal. For those who dont know the Quickrod, it has a rotary switch that allows you to choose three voicing/gain levels called "gears". Each gear has a foot switchable OD boost labeled "OD1" and "OD2".

I set the amp tone controls, presence and gain at noon. The chosen models tone controls, presence and gain were also set at noon.

Give a listen, enjoy and tell me what you think!

First Gear OD1

First Gear OD2

Second Gear OD1

Second Gear OD2

Third Gear OD1

Third Gear OD3

Excellent. I have written an in-depth tutorial on amp matching that we are reviewing and will publish soon. I have found that simply using your guitar as the stimulus is quicker and gives the best results. I'm happy to see you captured the IR as that is the best way to do it since you can then share the IR with others.

It really comes down to the IR. It is 90+% of the tone. The Tone Matching just cleans up any differences between the amp and the model EQ when you do it that way.

Are all the clips Axe only or a switch between amp and Axe? I can't tell at all. Those little Soundcloud comment markers might help here.

Last edited:
I'm guessing first half is amp and second is match but I could be wrong. I don't hear any difference.

Excellent. I have written an in-depth tutorial on amp matching that we are reviewing and will publish soon. I have found that simply using your guitar as the stimulus is quicker and gives the best results. I'm happy to see you captured the IR as that is the best way to do it since you can then share the IR with others.

It really comes down to the IR. It is 90+% of the tone. The Tone Matching just cleans up any differences between the amp and the model EQ when you do it that way.
Looking forward to the tutorial. I know I haven't gotten the best out of mine yet.

I'm guessing first half is amp and second is match but I could be wrong. I don't hear any difference.

That would be my guess too, but I can hear a difference, it is most obvious in the First Gear OD2 clip. Either way, I do have a Quick Rod and I have to say that the OP did a great job, very impressive.

Sounds good. I also hear a difference in them. First half is the real amp right? HArd to pin what it is since I'm not very experienced in tone building but I can hear a slight difference. Maybe the match is just a bit more shallow sounding? I'm not any good with the tweaking and knowing how to bring it closer though but still sounds pretty great! I also am looking forward to the Axe-Change! I hope there is going to be lots of goodies on that thing!

Excellent.

Thanks Cliff! I agree, however I think I may take a little different approach to it. I will try to do a complete post on my approach as I think it would definitely be helpful to others. I don't know how long it takes you to do your amp matches, but since it was the first one it takes longer than the subsequent matches. ~12 hours. But the first 2 were trying to overcome the hiss from output 2. I finally was able to find a workaround. Is the new tutorial using the loop?

That would be my guess too, but I can hear a difference, it is most obvious in the First Gear OD2 clip. Either way, I do have a Quick Rod and I have to say that the OP did a great job, very impressive.
Yes the real amp is the first half of the clip. I had an issue with the ToneMatch block in the preset for gear 1 OD2 after saving the preset and tearing down the rig. I had to use the TM from gear 1 OD1 as a cab block and add a filter. That's why that one is noticeable. I will reshoot it when I get the rig back together.

Sounds good. I also hear a difference in them. First half is the real amp right? HArd to pin what it is since I'm not very experienced in tone building but I can hear a slight difference. Maybe the match is just a bit more shallow sounding? I'm not any good with the tweaking and knowing how to bring it closer though but still sounds pretty great! I also am looking forward to the Axe-Change! I hope there is going to be lots of goodies on that thing!
On the files other than gear 1 OD2, most of the difference IMO is moving air and proximity effect of the mic on the real cab. The AxeFx clips were recorded direct so no moving air of course.

But the first 2 were trying to overcome the hiss from output 2. I finally was able to find a workaround.

Can you please explain, I've been really curious about the "hiss from output 2", I thought the only way around this was to send your unit in for a modification.

Can you please explain, I've been really curious about the "hiss from output 2", I thought the only way around this was to send your unit in for a modification.

I believe it is unless you want to build an outboard filter. I finally had to turn it up to a level that completely over powered the hiss. That may have actually helped build better amp guitar interaction into the tone match though.

Thanks everyone for the interest and thoughtful remarks! I will be refining these this week and will post more comparison clips. I will make sure both rigs are recorded the same to alleviate any capture differences. Apples to apples this time. Probably some in context clips too.

Edit: I posted the existing unrefined presets due to the imminent release of V7 and the new Splawn amp model here http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...e-clone-plawn-quickrod-amp-match-presets.html

Last edited:
12 hours!!!! I can match an amp in a few minutes. Wait a few days for Version 7.00 and the Amp Matching tutorial. If you follow the instructions in the tutorial you'll get superior results in a fraction of the time.

12 hours!!!! I can match an amp in a few minutes. Wait a few days for Version 7.00 and the Amp Matching tutorial. If you follow the instructions in the tutorial you'll get superior results in a fraction of the time.
Yeah I thought it was a long time too! If you shave off the noise thing and all the family interruptions it's more like 6, but still a lot. However, I am really detail oriented (read obsessive) and spent almost all of the time making the match FEEL and RESPOND like the real amp, which is something that doesn't at all translate in the recordings. I actually had the tone down with the first matched IR, so yeah probably about 30 minutes for all six matches. Since there isnt a direct circuit architecture translation model in the AxeFX II had to find one that was close to each gear on the Splawn. As a result I needed to find and use three different models. Some worked better than others at duplicating the feel, so there was some switching going on which involved doing another TM, etc. Thats what consumed all the time. It would have been easy enough to post the first results, because after all most everyone who tries the patch has never played a Splawn and either wouldn't know the difference or chalk it up to their system being different, but it's about integrity to me. If you do something, do it right.There still would have been the people saying they could hear a difference anyway, right!?

If I match as many amps as you have Cliff, no doubt I will be much faster! :D

All that said I am very excitedly awaiting V7 and the new Matching Tutorial!

Thanks Cliff!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom