LPD Bogner Uber Les Paul Flydust OWR Lesson

groovenut

Power User
Hey all! This is a video lesson of sorts I put together for some of my students. I recorded this for a project that recruited me to write and record guitar parts for a handful of their songs for an upcoming release. I used my trusty Les Paul, JB in the bridge, and the factory preset for the Bogner Uber with a handful of tweaks. Let me know what you think!

Some of that desert heat!! Sounds great, man! Was the Axe-Fx pitch block used for the harmonies at the end? Or were they tracked separately? Either way, they sound sweet!

Nice LP! Is it a 90's studio with the ebony neck? That's what I have and I love it. JB in the bridge and a jazz in the neck. Cool to see someone shredding on an LP!

Nice LP! Is it a 90's studio with the ebony neck? That's what I have and I love it. JB in the bridge and a jazz in the neck. Cool to see someone shredding on an LP!

It is indeed a 90's Studio Lite with an ebony fretboard and 60's slim taper neck. The one and only Les Paul (I've had 3) that I have ever bonded with. I owned a Standard and a Custom, and while they were beautiful guitars they never left their cases. So they went to new homes. I have personally never seen another like mine, even with extensive interwebz searching. Great to hear someone else loves them too!

Who says you cant shred on a Paul....

Some of that desert heat!! Sounds great, man! Was the Axe-Fx pitch block used for the harmonies at the end? Or were they tracked separately? Either way, they sound sweet!

The harmonies were tracked but they are diatonic so the axe does them just as well as the recording. I will happily do them live that way! :)

Awesome sound man, I agree the solo could go up a bit. But as far as a lesson, definitely have to slow down a bit for that.

Thanks! It's a vocal tune so the mix for the solo is down a bit. I agree I would love to hear it louder so maybe as the mix progresses I can persuade that. I usually do a fast and slow version on my lessons but the students who requested this can handle the challenge so I left it at only full speed. If anyone here wants a slower version I would be glad to post it :)

Its sounds great the way it is,I think it awesome that you do this for your students and anyone else who takes the opportunity to learn from you. I love teaching also its great to see other guitarists coming into the world. Every once in awhile you get that student who you just know is going to be great and that's a great feeling. I haven't been teaching for awhile and I sure wish i could get some work doing it again.

I love teaching also its great to see other guitarists coming into the world. Every once in awhile you get that student who you just know is going to be great and that's a great feeling. I haven't been teaching for awhile and I sure wish i could get some work doing it again.

Completely agree. I love when a students get music under their skin and find themselves wanting to play more than anything. I make it a personal challenge with each of my students to have them decide to play music instead of video games (thats a major challenge these days). I have a small pool of advanced students who are either in bands or preparing for music school. They keep me on my toes.

The harmonies were tracked but they are diatonic so the axe does them just as well as the recording. I will happily do them live that way! :)

Very Nice!

Do you think you can get a more natural sounding guitar harmony sound in the Axe if you place the pitch block before the amp, instead of after the amp? (I'm trying to avoid the "harmonizer" sound and get more of a over-dubbed harmony sound)

Very Nice!

Do you think you can get a more natural sounding guitar harmony sound in the Axe if you place the pitch block before the amp, instead of after the amp? (I'm trying to avoid the "harmonizer" sound and get more of a over-dubbed harmony sound)

TBH I feel I get the best results when I run a complete side-chain with the harmonizer in front of the second amp. To me this does a better job of simulating the other guitar as well as giving much more control over the harmonized signal. The real deal maker is getting the mix between the signals perfect. I do find I have to tame a lot of high end artifacts to keep the harmonized guitar from sounding generated and there is always the issue of the diminished pick attack, but if you mix it right you get a good sub for a second guitar.

I am still experimenting but that is my progress so far.

TBH I feel I get the best results when I run a complete side-chain with the harmonizer in front of the second amp. To me this does a better job of simulating the other guitar as well as giving much more control over the harmonized signal. The real deal maker is getting the mix between the signals perfect. I do find I have to tame a lot of high end artifacts to keep the harmonized guitar from sounding generated and there is always the issue of the diminished pick attack, but if you mix it right you get a good sub for a second guitar.

I am still experimenting but that is my progress so far.

Well, I would love to hear what your findings and suggestions are when you are ready to share! I suspected that BEFORE the amp was one of the keys to achieving this. Let us know what tips and mix levels you recommend! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom