LPD - Adventures in Tone Matching Stuff Part 5 SD-1 Firewater Mod Axefx II

groovenut

Power User
This is a drive block tone match.

This is a tone match of a mod that I do to the Boss SD-1 called the Firewater Mod. I have always felt that the SD-1 was a great pedal with a few shortcomings. So I developed this to bring it more in line with the tone I like to get out of a dirt pedal. If I had to give it a short description, I would say its a good blend of the SD-1 and a TS808. This mod incorporates a voicing/gain switch that allows you to have close to traditional TS808 sounds (with a SD-1 flavor) in the down position and SD-1 sounds (with a TS808 flavor) in the up position.

LPDFirewaterSD-1.jpg

Here are the match clips. Both the actual pedal and the match are played through the same clean amp model.

Firewater Mod Switch Down

Firewater Mod Switch Up

Both of these clips are not meant to impress as much as to show the quality of the match. The preset behaves very close to the original pedal.

Here are the presets!

LPD SD-1 Firewater Mod Switch Down

Axe-Change - Download Preset - LPD SD1 Firewater Down - by Groovenut

LPD SD-1 Firewater Mod Switch Up

Axe-Change - Download Preset - LPD SD1 Firewater Up - by Groovenut

Great as usual man! The two are really very very close. Cant wait for you to get your hands on the higher res TMA block. I made a few tweaks (just personal taste stuff) to your Badger preset last night and rocked on it for like an hour. I will defiantly be checking this out as well.

Technically, the pedal has a TubeScreamer TS808 gain pot, tone circuit and output buffer with the SD-1 input buffer, power supply and boost amp. I added my own special combination of clipping diodes and a switch to give two gain level/voicing options. It is definitely one of my favorite dirt boxes!

Back
Top Bottom