LPD - Adventures In Tone Matching Stuff Part 4 Le Tekro BF-2 AxeFx II

groovenut

Power User
The Boss BF-2 is a great flanger and I would have been happy to try and tone match it as a flanger, but I didn't (at least not intentionally. It may actually sound really close as a working flanger to the BF-2). I was interested in doing a match on the Ronnie LeTekro settings. Rather than just do an IR for a cab block, I decided to match the flanger response as well as the frequency response. I used my 1981 Boss BF-2 as the reference (supposedly the same model and year Mr. LeTekro used).

BossBF-2Flanger.jpg

I did a preliminary tone match, then proceeded to match the flanger characteristics to the real pedal. Then I did a median tone match and re-calibrated the flanger settings to match the new response. Then a final tone match and test. Here are the final test audio files. This is with the pedal and preset through a clean amp/speaker block.

By ear and by FFT it's really close.

Here is the preset for anyone interested

Axe-Change - Download Preset - LPD BF-2 LeTekro - by Groovenut

It should go great within this one

Axe-Change - Download Preset - LPD TNT Intuition Tone Clone - by Groovenut

Just got back from weekend of gigging so will do so. Great job on the match as I couldn't really hear a difference.

I would greatly appreciate it! I have as yet not received much feedback on the LeTekro patch and it's one of my most popular ones according to download numbers. So that leads me to believe that it's either not accurate enough (not hard to believe since I didn't give it my usual QC treatment and released as Beta) or people have just downloaded it to have a look inside. I have had one report that it may not have enough gain, but that could also be guitar signal level difference. So I am curious to get some feedback before I do any update work on it.

Thanks,

So I just had a very brief chance to try my BF-2 LeTekro patch loaded into the front of my TNT Intuition patch and I have to say it gets pretty close to the real deal. I dont have much time to mess with it and will be finalizing it later this week, but try boosting the gain of the drive block by +1 and boost the gain of the amp block by +1. That gets the gain pretty close. I will have to get in and mess with the EQ a little more, but the flanger adds that little bit of swirl that I hear in the recordings as well as the mid EQ bump.

Hi, finally found a few mins to mess around with your patches. Got the Flanger and TM block into the front of the amp block. It sounds pretty close as it is.

One thing I wanted to ask you - as far as I had read (somewhere) Le Tekro zero'd all the knobs but ran the Manual knob(delay) at full... according to the Boss BF-2 manual, the range of that knob is 1~13ms, so I am guessing his flanger was somewhere around 13ms. The AxeFX II maxes out at 10ms. When you tone matched it, how was your flanger set?

I tried setting the flanger block to 10ms but it added some mid range honk that's a little too pronounced when compared to the recorded version - though I didn't try to play with your PEQ settings yet.

Would be great to nail that tone!

The preset Axe-Change - Download Preset - LPD BF-2 LeTekro - by Groovenut is a tone and functional match to my Boss BF-2 with all the knobs zero'd and the manual knob full. You shouldn't have to change the Flanger block settings at all. When I did this preset, I also looked at the Boss manual and found the same info you mention. However, when I set the time accordingly it didn't sound the same as the real BF-2 so I made adjustments until it matched. Just add the flanger and TMA blocks to your preset or my LeTekro Intuition preset Axe-Change - Download Preset - LPD TNT Intuition Tone Clone - by Groovenut and if you need to, you can change the PEQ or amp block EQ to get you closer.

I have a better version of the LeTekro preset that will be released in a few weeks on Axechange that I feel is much much closer. A demo is here http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ro-tnt-10-000-lovers-axefx-ii.html#post715286

Back
Top Bottom