• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Lows Disappear When Summing to Mono with Mixed-Res Stereo Cab Block

geetarplayer

Inspired
Recently, I was in a different venue where I had to run mono instead of my normal stereo setup. All my presets are built with stereo in mind, and I didn't want to think through if I'd lose any musical info by just using the LEFT out, so I set it to sum to mono. As I played, I noticed the tone was very thin - the lows had disappeared. I quickly set it to copy L>R, and the problem went away.

When I got home, I looked at my preset, and I noticed that in my cab block, which is stereo, one side was in italics, and one was not. I've recently learned that italics means High/Ultra Res, and non-italics means Normal Res. I reproduced the problem right there - A/B with a "both italics" cab block vs a "one italics and one not", and I could hear the lows disappear with the latter.

So, I now know how to easily avoid this problem, but I want to understand it. Two different resolution Cab IRs resulted in low-end loss. Seems to me like that would be a phase issue, right?

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
It's not the resolution, it's likely the normal res IR is not phase-aligned so you're getting cancellation when summing to mono.

Top Bottom