lower amp gain with pedal?

chrisjnyc

Power User
I have been using scene controllers to bring up and down the gain of an amp on various scenes... but would like to bring down the gain without scene controllers for one preset. Any ideas on how to do this with a eq\filter\drive pedal?

I always use a GEQ block before the amp for this and set the level at about -15. If you need to compensate for volume loss you would have to put another block after the amp with a volume boost and set the bypass mode of both to a control switch.

Any ideas on how to do this with a eq\filter\drive pedal?

Another approach is that handy volume knob on your guitar ;)

I use that more than I would expect the amp gains to vary. My approach is to treat the AX8 and FAS lineup like real amps. I want the "push" dynamics of the boutique amps I use to feel real, you wouldn't walk over to a Matchless and swell in the gain up & down would you? Not picking on you, seriously asking would you do that. If you had the ability to, why not? My take on it is with the volume pot on my axe.

Just a thought mate!

I use the volume knob on my guitars all the time to control the sound of the guitar. I love amps that clean up with the volume throttled back and open up with the gain increased. The Plexi's, Tucana, and Dweezil's Bman are current favorites. I almost never crank the guitar volume to 11.

When setting up a preset, I find that setting the amp drive at 5 is a good starting point, then I tweak tone to taste, and then dial the amp gain back (or up) to get the lead tone I want. I sometimes add a drive pedal or two, but usually with the pedal mix at 50% or lower. Once I get that dialed in, I go back to the amp with the pedals off, and roll back the guitar volume, usually to 5. I then fine tune the sound of the amp. Then I dial the guitar volume back to 3 and repeat the fine tuning for the clean sound. Once I get that where I want it, I open the guitar volume back up to hear the rig throttled up, and tweak that (if needed). I then save the preset with S for single coils or H for humbuckers in the preset title so I know what they are in AX8 Edit..

When performing, I just use the guitar volume to control my sound. For most presets, I get a great clean tone, mid-grind, and full on with just adjusting the guitar volume. I have played entire performances with just one preset. I am old school, so I learned how to play back in the days when guitarists used an amp and a guitar, and maybe a pedal. Sound was controlled with the guitar volume. I still play that way. When my students first start taking lessons, they are often surprised at how simple my rig is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom