Lowell George Little Feat patch for slide/compression

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi gang, here is my first patch post to the Board...Hope it adds value to our little community.

This is my attempt at getting that Lowell George clean sustaining slide guitar sound integral to the Little Feat records. He used two LA 1176 compressors in sequence, with one pumping directly into the input of the other amped up, and that second one squashing the signal before it went to the amp. Bonnie Raitt uses similar compressor set up. The patch can get noisy when you are NOT playing. You can adjust the noise gate to taste but set carefully or it will cut off your sustain.

It's sweet and holds notes for great sustain with slide.

Using a Dumble clean setting and EVL 1 X12 and Royer mic. Lowell used 4 X 12s but neither the unit nor Red Wirez (which I love) cab impulses they did not get clean and crisp enough for my ears, at least in this sitting. It may be fun to run through a second cab/experiment. You don't want too much low end in this, focus on the crystalline glissy highs/worked towards that.

The guitar i used was a good team-built Custom shop Strat, in 2nd position for pickups (quack), through a Klon Centaur with a little volume boost before it hits the AXE FX. Juts to fatten it up. I put in Paul Barrere's phaser (default is off, think the Intro to "All that You Dream") for good measure and a boost pedal if you want a little grind.

Am sure it can be improved by more skilled users if inclined, share back here with your improvements! As i get the hang of this will upload more patches. could play with this unit for a year and barely scratch the surface!

welcome attempts to make it better, not very skilled at the compressors/settings - but it seems to be working the right way!

Attachments

• Lowell Little Feat.syx
    2 KB · Views: 162
Hi gang, here is my first patch post to the Board...Hope it adds value to our little community.

This is my attempt at getting that Lowell George clean sustaining slide guitar sound integral to the Little Feat records. He used two LA 1176 compressors in sequence, with one pumping directly into the input of the other amped up, and that second one squashing the signal before it went to the amp. Bonnie Raitt uses similar compressor set up. The patch can get noisy when you are NOT playing. You can adjust the noise gate to taste but set carefully or it will cut off your sustain.

It's sweet and holds notes for great sustain with slide.

Using a Dumble clean setting and EVL 1 X12 and Royer mic. Lowell used 4 X 12s but neither the unit nor Red Wirez (which I love) cab impulses they did not get clean and crisp enough for my ears, at least in this sitting. It may be fun to run through a second cab/experiment. You don't want too much low end in this, focus on the crystalline glissy highs/worked towards that.

The guitar i used was a good team-built Custom shop Strat, in 2nd position for pickups (quack), through a Klon Centaur with a little volume boost before it hits the AXE FX. Juts to fatten it up. I put in Paul Barrere's phaser (default is off, think the Intro to "All that You Dream") for good measure and a boost pedal if you want a little grind.

Am sure it can be improved by more skilled users if inclined, share back here with your improvements! As i get the hang of this will upload more patches. could play with this unit for a year and barely scratch the surface!

welcome attempts to make it better, not very skilled at the compressors/settings - but it seems to be working the right way!

Hey There!
I can't seem to get the patch to work with my AX8. Do you have any written notes for this preset? I've been looking for a good west coast Slide, Lowell George type sound for a while, and not having much luck on my own.
Thanks!!!!
Greg

Look at the date of the original post and the title of the sub-forum....

"Ultra/Standard Preset and Cab Exchange"

@austinbuddy - Were you ever able port this over to the III?

Or do you have a preset like this in one of your preset packs?
It's in the Naked Amps for the III....

To try this, use two Studio FB 1 compressor block in series. Set each one of them to a 4:1 ratio, you can set the first one in series higher if you want. Then set the knee to high or medium high and make sure the threshold is set on the first one in the series to SQUASH the signal by at least 6db+ of compression, if not more. Raise the level a few db to hit the second one, then set the level out of that one to hit the amp.

Use a very fast attack, try 0.283 ms attack (actual 1176 attack) and 75 ms release on each. Play with it until you get the sound you like. Lowell used a Tele bridge pickup put into his Strat, but you can use the squawk position or middle pick up on Strat if you like.

It will be noisy when you aren't playing. Make sure to adjust the noise gate in INPUT 1 to be low, else it will cut off your sustain.

Back
Top Bottom