• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Low Volume Patches

jw3571

Inspired
A few questions here, how loud is too loud that will hurt your hearing? Usually when i feel my patches sound good they are around 90-95 db from where I sit. Is that loud enough to damage hearing? Next question is how to get the best sound at lower volume patches? I need to research Fletcher Munson more but it seems like most patches at lower volume lack high's and mids, they are too bassy. Some of mu first moves are lowering the bass, lowering the former match, increase character amount and dynamic presence, and finally add some air in the cab block. Other suggestions? It's hard because the easiest thing to do to make it sound better is increase the volume. I don't want to lose my hearing though, lol.

jw3571

Inspired
Meant to mention i'm using Presonuus Sceptre 8 monitors, with numerous guitars, mostly Les Paul's.

scottp

Experienced
Prolonged exposure above 85 db is not good.
Try doing a search on hearing loss, you can find lots of information there.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Hearing damage, be it a temporary threshold shift (TTS), or a permanent threshold shift (PTS) is a function of time and intensity. A very short duration, but high intensity noise can have the same damaging effect as a longer duration exposure to less intense noise. As such, an 8 hour shift at a steel stamping plant can equal 3 hours at a loud concert, which can equal one gunshot at closer range, so to speak.

Here is the kicker though, not everyone is affected equally. There are some people who will suffer more hearing loss than another person, even if they both did the same job, for the same length of time. Difficult thing is no one really knows where they fall...

Other thing is that we are still learning a fair bit about noise exposure. We used to think that TTS, that ringing/muffled sensation you'd have for a day or so after a concert and that then went away was just that, temporary, since hearing thresholds would return to prior levels. Thing is though, that even those temporary loss, which may damage but not destroy hair cells in the cochlear, may have other underlying neural damage to structures such as the spiral ganglion and result in things like tinnitus later on.

Long story short, 90-95 dB is pretty darn loud, and current ANSI standards would say more than about an hour at that intensity level could start to affect your hearing.

My advice would be to turn things down a bit and play it safe, but then again, since I'm an audiologist its kind of like job security for me when people do continue to damage their hearing....

Top Bottom