Low volume on USB recordings - please help!

Breenbear

Hi everyone,

Had a look through previous posts and manual etc but couldn't come across a fix for the problem I am having. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

So I am connected via USB straight into Logic. The input level in Logic is barely recognised on the channel strip so any kind of recording is pointless. There is no problem running my normal set up as the input is tickling red and I have a healthy output to my speaker.

Can anyone suggest a way to raise the output via USB for all my patches?

Thanks! :)

HI. I record on Logic and do not have this kind of problem.
Can you give more details? Are you recording inputs 1and 2 or 3and 4? 1 and 2 are processed signal, 3and 4 are the dry guitar signal and will be very "low"

what does you Utility-Status meters look like when you play the axe? how "loud" does it appear on those meters?

Hi everyone,

Had a look through previous posts and manual etc but couldn't come across a fix for the problem I am having. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

So I am connected via USB straight into Logic. The input level in Logic is barely recognised on the channel strip so any kind of recording is pointless. There is no problem running my normal set up as the input is tickling red and I have a healthy output to my speaker.

Can anyone suggest a way to raise the output via USB for all my patches?

Thanks! :)

Are you sure you are not recording the dry unamplified signal? There are 4 outs via usb. 2 are the processed signal and 2 are unamplified dry signals for reamping.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I am trying to do as basic a recording as you can get. I have the track set on logic to inputs 1/2 so I think I am right in saying this should be the processed signal and not the unamplified one.

The utility meters show input at maybe 65% and the 4 output meters are about 85% when the guitar is hit hard. Here is what the input in logic looks like when the guitar is played at the same volume.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the pictures.
Take a look at your I/O settings. Do you have Boost/Pad engaged? What level?
USB/Digi out source in the IO sec ion, Audio tab. What is it set to? Output 1 or Input?

The boost/pad is at 0db for both Output 1 and 2. Is this normal? USB/Digi out source is set to Output 1.

Those are correct settings.
Why don't you try closing Logic, open up another DAW (Reaper, Garage Band) and see if you have the same issue.
If yes, try reinstalling the USB driver.

I had this problem too when I first got my Axe and made my own patches. To complicate matters, I use the Axe Effects loop for other gear and that throws another spot in the system where some of the signal can be lost. I agree with the other posters that you should look at your input output levels. The easiest fix to boost the recordable level, and the only place I went when I was balancing my presets, was of course the output volume of the amplifier model block.

The other thing I learned, is that if I side-chained delay and reverb, it allowed my presets to be louder, and of course I could still mix in the wetness of the delay or reverb to put the effect level back to where I needed it to be. I strive for levels that enable to me to instant access the effect on/off without changing the overall preset volume. A preset that remains on one audio path with all the effects in a straight line will not be as loud as a preset where you drag the effects to a side pathway, allow all the shunts to remain in the primary pathway, and split shunts from the main pathway, through the effects, and then back into the main pathway. Try it and you will hear the difference.

I started doing this after I saw a close up of the Axe II screen for John Petrucci when the Fractal guys went to him on location, to upgrade his Ultra to the II. All of his effects were side chained. So I figured, if he is getting curb-service from the Fractal staff, and that is how they counseled him to set up his patches, who am I to question it? After I used that as my reason for experimenting, I started seeing a lot of forum posters were also using this technique to build personal presets. It works for me.

Your preset is probably just putting out that level. -17 dB (your value on the logic meter) is around 80% on the Axe utility meter. That's not really too low, especially if it's a distorted preset level-matched to clean presets.

You can usually turn up the amp block level or anything after amp, including layout mixer level, if you want to increase the digital out level. Or turn up the Out 1 global EQ gain to increase all preset levels. Increasing boost/pad would give higher digital out level without changing the analog output level (for a given knob position), which might also be useful if you want to keep more usable range on the Out 1 knob without getting too loud.

A preset that remains on one audio path with all the effects in a straight line will not be as loud as a preset where you drag the effects to a side pathway, allow all the shunts to remain in the primary pathway, and split shunts from the main pathway, through the effects, and then back into the main pathway.

It will be as loud if you turn up the level. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...lowering-overall-output-level.html#post862108

Ok when I get home tonight I will reinstall the latest FW and reset everything back to scratch and start again. Then will try some of the above if the problem is still there.

I would also like to add that I am not doing this on patches I have made. I am only using the presets that came loaded on. I thought it would be as simple as plugging in via USB and recording! It seems I was mistaken!

Also if you want to just increase the output of all patches, turn up the main level in the output 1 global eq.

Ok when I get home tonight I will reinstall the latest FW and reset everything back to scratch and start again. Then will try some of the above if the problem is still there.

I would also like to add that I am not doing this on patches I have made. I am only using the presets that came loaded on. I thought it would be as simple as plugging in via USB and recording! It seems I was mistaken!

You don't need to reinstall the firmware.

I have always had this issue with Logic as well. These are my own patches using a AC30 sim for example with the master at 10, the gain around 2.6 and the amp level at zero BUT the cab block at +4.0db. The output on the Axe level meter is at 85-95% and just below clipping....and the signal into Logic seems way low. It records and sounds ok but it just seems weird.

Thanks,
D

Last edited:
Im also having the same problems my signal is poor in volume even if I turn up to +6db on logic it stills very low, I use logic pro 9 and logic X and on both daws its the same issue. When I had a line 6 vetta it has a trim control so you can adjust the signal you are sending to the mixer or to the audio interface without having to move your preset or your stage volume is was just like a line level. Does the axe FXII do this?
Best regards and thanks for your replies.
Patrick.

Back
Top Bottom