low tuned melodic death metal

zombieritual

Inspired

just a mix/tone test, i think i'm finally getting close to tones that i'm happy with. guitars are a mix of jcm 800 and das metall through ownhammer t1 v30 ch 57 & 421, acoustics were my aria acoustic with a dean markley pickup into the axe with an acoustic sim, bass was a blend of DI and a tone match i made from a hateplow song. it's not mastered because i'm not an ME, although i did put a boost plug at the end to make it a bit louder. ibanez rg8 tuned to F standard with seymour duncan nazgul/sentient pickups. oh the lead tone was from adam cook's jp scenes patch that i modified a bit (basically just made it brighter and added more verb).

Really liked the guitar tones, crunchy with the right sizzle in the top end.

The mix on the other hand is too bass heavy. Suggest you listen to it on headphones for further evaluation, but to my ears, it seems you should filter out <80Hz on your kick drum to make room for your bass, cut 500Hz on your bass and 200Hz on lot of things on your mix. There's also an uncontrolled low flabbing around 100-200Hz, find it and use a multiband compressor to kill it off.

If you'd like I can try my hand at mixing it for you. Been a while since I last had some mix practice :) Send a PM with a link to the raw tracks if you want me to (Dropbox works nicely)

Cheers,

Alex

glad you liked the tones! and the mix, i know it needs a lot of work still i was really just trying to get it to a decent enough place to help get a better suited guitar tone that would sound and feel right but thanks for the suggestions!

Makes me think of later Judas Priest.....and Helloween and stuff.....

The mix is pretty great. However......I don't know why people care so much about 'tone' in these kinds of circumstances. They don't stand out.

However, your username did not let me down in somewhat accurately anticipating the sound of your music.

Good stuff. But I will chime in here as well with some commentary about the low mids issue. I wouldn't say that the > 80 Hz is such a big deal on the mix, as it's definitely the low mids which are cluttering the mix. In combination with the natural hashing that soundcloud does to mixes, it's definitely taking away from your mixes ability to generate power. I would start by scooping a bit out of your guitars, and then really, REALLY go through the drums and decide where the issues are lying. If you are using the ambient mics in SD start there as that is where the trouble usually lies, and then look at the zone again for your bass and snare.

Overall really impressed with the quality of the mix you've got going. Good job!

i think i probably changed these since i recorded that, and since the update came out with the recto1 amp i switched over to that but here are the two that i used for this recording. like i said in the original post i'm using ownhammer modern cabs so if you don't have those it's not going to work so well. i actually think on the jcm800 one i was using greenbacks but then changed the patch to v30 so who knows lol it was awhile ago.
View attachment 800 81.syx
View attachment Das Metal 8.syx

did you guys happen to see the playthrough video i posted awhile ago? http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/78199-everdying-journey-ahead-playthrough.html that's using the recto1 amp that i think i'm gonna be sticking with, if you want to play around with that one too here it is
View attachment everdying recto1.syx

also, i don't think i really did much eq to the guitars here if any so that's where all the bullshit mud comes from. it definitely won't be there in the final redone version but thank you all for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom