Low Res parameter with transparent tube power amps

Variable

Inspired
I'm curious, I've been following Yek's advice with the Low Res and High Res parameters in the amp block when using the Axe with tube power amps (specifically the Fryette Power Station). While I seem to have good luck with turning off the High Res parameter to tame brightness, removing the Low Res seems to take away all bass "oomph" with my patches, if that makes any sense. I know my cab setup is certainly capable of the low end response (Ported 2x12 with V30 style speakers, and a 1x12 PT-20 cab on top that is also ported).

How are other folks using Low and High Res with tube amp setups like the PowerStation, or other tube power amps?

Alright, that sounds okay.

Weird that you lose the bass that way. Didn't happen to me.

@yek

Not tried lowering those REs parameters since Ive had my PS (15 months). Tried tonight and it just sounded dull and lifeless. The Top end was OK - especially with gain, but the low end....

AS soon as I saw your comment here (not been on the Forum for a while) I got it in theory immediately. Those parameters are supposed to "model" the interaction of the PA OP Transformer with your speaker - but with a real valve power section your getting that for real from the PA. At least thats how I read this.

I dont tend to have any presence (or much) on my patches - likewise depth or active depth (stock amp settings at the most). I also never use the graphic in te amp block. Im guessing I can add the oomph and zing back there and it should be more realistic? Always have the PS Pres/Depth off.

I immediately loved the tone and feel the PS added to my rig.

I was less thrilled with the feedback it caused at rehearsal and gig volume levels, and somewhat wooly bass. I traced it to the virtual resonance settings and realized there's no need for those with a real tube amp.

I disabled them and the feedback issue vanished.
Not having issues with bass either, but my tones aren't bass-heavy.

I keep presence/depth flat on the PS. And I stick mostly to the default presence/depth values of the amp.

These days I don't use the PS much, however. Because of the "incompatibility" of the resonance settings with the direct FOH signal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom