Low Res Freq?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Curiosity question for you all: when using FRFR what are you all doing with the Low Res Freq setting?

In my case, I use a global stereo UR Cab in all my presets. The "main" IR that I am using is one from CabIR.eu where they published the resonant frequency of the cab (108Hz) and I pair it with another IR that varies.

In all my amp blocks, I set Low Res Freq to 108Hz because I know that's what the real cab had.

The curiosity comes from the fact at how wide of a range of values I've noticed as defaults for various amps - from 57Hz-112Hz of those I use.

Obviously this can have a big effect on the low end response...

I also had an idea that maybe the process for capturing an IR might be able to be "extended" to automate determining the resonant frequency of the cab. I think it would be extremely useful.

I'd love to hear everyone's input.

Thanks

Kevin

For any of my 4x12 IRs I just set it to 115Hz which is the measured value of my real 4x12. It feels right to me. I sometimes dial down the LF Resonance if the amp is very woofy. For other IR/amp combos (1x10, 1x12, 2x12, etc cab IRs and clean-ish/low gain amps) I dial it in by ear if the amp doesn't feel right, but leave it at the default more often then not on the amp block when using those cab IRs.

Last edited:
Not quite sure which mod moved the thread to User Cabs and IRs forum, but this question is about an Amp block parameter and not really about Cabs and IRs as much, which is why I put it under Axe Fx Discussion:)

Edit: thanks to whichever mod moved it back!

Last edited:
Most of the time I leave it at the default settings, just because it seems like complete guesswork with IR's.
Unless I know the resonant frequency of the cab being modeled- which has only happened in one or two instances.

Like Stratoblaster mentioned, I'll lower it on occasion if the amp seems to have excessive low end, but otherwise it stays put.

I've always wondered, for the sake of accuracy, why the actual impedance curve could not be captured as part of the IR capture process and subsequently loaded into the Fractal amp block. Either as a separate file or as a new section in the .ir file.

If you look at the curve, it creates a mid scoop. The harder you drive the power amp the more mid scoop you get.

So, for me, adjustments here really depend on the amp block master vol and amp type.

My approach is:

1. Set the low res freq if the IR producer specifies it. Like cabIR.eu.
2. Leave it default unless the low end just won't get right with bass and eq adjustments. The low res is my last resort to tame the low end after the bass control and eq.

I've always wondered, for the sake of accuracy, why the actual impedance curve could not be captured as part of the IR capture process and subsequently loaded into the Fractal amp block. Either as a separate file or as a new section in the .ir file.

If you look at the curve, it creates a mid scoop. The harder you drive the power amp the more mid scoop you get.

So, for me, adjustments here really depend on the amp block master vol and amp type.

My approach is:

1. Set the low res freq if the IR producer specifies it. Like cabIR.eu.
2. Leave it default unless the low end just won't get right with bass and eq adjustments. The low res is my last resort to tame the low end after the bass control and eq.
Sounds like we both of the same mind...

Hard to tell what is right and what´s wrong.....

Larry Mitchell has set the Low Res Frequenze to 80 Hz on all his amps at his free cabs ("Accurate", don´t know the link), Greenback 4x12, AC 20...and it sounds good.

If I link a Fender amp (very deep low Res, about 57Hz) to a 4x12 cab, it looses its warm sound.

But I can´t compare it to real amps and cabs, I´m a digital guitar player since 2002.......

Back
Top Bottom