Loving those 6CA7s...

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
Lost a couple hours poking around with a 8x10 Marshall IR I found on cabIR.eu and a 50W Jumped Plexi this evening, with 6CA7 outputs and the grid bias and hardness dialed up quite a bit. Nice fat, singing cranked sound, cleans up wonderfully to a sparkly, glassy clean with the guitar volume knob. Sounds great through the 8x10 using the 4x10 Brit impedance curve. The 8x10 has that super warm, soft, old-speaker sound going on.

The Brit 4x10 works quite nicely too, but the speakers sound a bit less broken in, which is also nice.

Preset here.

Lost a couple hours poking around with a 8x10 Marshall IR I found on cabIR.eu and a 50W Jumped Plexi this evening, with 6CA7 outputs and the grid bias and hardness dialed up quite a bit. Nice fat, singing cranked sound, cleans up wonderfully to a sparkly, glassy clean with the guitar volume knob. Sounds great through the 8x10 using the 4x10 Brit impedance curve. The 8x10 has that super warm, soft, old-speaker sound going on.

The Brit 4x10 works quite nicely too, but the speakers sound a bit less broken in, which is also nice.

Preset here.
This exactly! 6CA7, 50W Plexi, bump up grid bias, heaven.

"Lost a couple hours poking around with a 8x10 Marshall IR I found on cabIR.eu "

Its so sad, that they dont produce irs anymore😔(sorry for my english)

I played with the hand wired 50 watt Marshall head and the 8x10 cab in the mid 70's, except mine had EL34 tubes. I do remember using the normal channel because the treble channel was way to bright. It would be nice to hear this combo in the afx3 now, kinda wish i still had that head!!!

I realized that I prefer 6CA7s IRL. They're hard to find and expensive now but I was browsing eBay and found some NOS GE 6CA7s rebranded as "Realistic" and won the auction. You could actually see that Realistic just silkscreened their logo over the GE logo.

I realized that I prefer 6CA7s IRL. They're hard to find and expensive now but I was browsing eBay and found some NOS GE 6CA7s rebranded as "Realistic" and won the auction. You could actually see that Realistic just silkscreened their logo over the GE logo.
Very common. A lot of different retailers sold tubes, but only a handful of companies manufactured them. The old companies' names carry enough repute even today that they get bought up and applied to tubes made now in Russia and China and a few remaining places in eastern Europe.

“Realistic?” Wasn’t that Radio Shack’s house brand?

Preset here.

The link doesn't work for me

Can anyone advise on how to adjust parameters for power tube changes. As has been memtioned
in the past (and as I observe), simply changing the power tube type paramter does not, in
most cases, result in any audible difference since other associated parameters need to change in order to "implement" a virtual "retubing" to another tube type. So how is this done? Grid bias/hardness are mentioned by the Op - what are the adjustments needed for different tube type paramter changes?. My own crude method is to find a stock amp with the default power tubes that I want to change another model "to", and then copy that amp's related power tube paramters (the 4 labelled "power tubes" in AxeEdit (Grid Bias, Bias Excursion, Hardness, Mismatch)) over to the amp model I'm modifying - I have no idea though if this is any kind of comprehensive method.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom