Loving the 'Mark Day's HBE' preset- Any suggestions for a new guy for other setups wi

mike86325

So I just got the axe fx ii 2 weeks ago and really like the 'mark day's hbe' preset. I've heard a lot of people say that the presets don't hold a candle to the tone you can achieve on your own so I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some better exchange presets or setup ideas given my gravitation towards this stock one.

If not, any suggestion for someone who loves the tones of nuno, tremonti, and early evh would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

most post that others presets do not translate well because the axe fx is very sensitive to guitar, playing style, speaker set up etc so most have to tweak the patches to perform well with there set up. hbe britt etc can get you those tones. if you feel you are not getting the tone you want post a clip and I am sure you will get plenty of comments.

Mark Day has quite a few presets on ax-change web site that I like better than the stock one. Try a bunch of presets from other people on there. I usually try out presets till I find one thats close to what I like and then make it my own by tweaking them. Look at how other people set their presets and try to find things you can use and it helps you learn how to tweak. Come to the forum and read a lot it helps you learn things too, I come here two or three times a day theres always something new to learn.

most post that others presets do not translate well because the axe fx is very sensitive to guitar, playing style, speaker set up etc so most have to tweak the patches to perform well with there set up. hbe britt etc can get you those tones. if you feel you are not getting the tone you want post a clip and I am sure you will get plenty of comments.

I definitely know what you mean, but I think I should have explained myself better. I'm not looking to emulate any of these particular tones, I was just listing them as references for what I like (big, warm, distorted, dynamic, etc). I'm just looking for suggestions from all you guys that are way more experienced as to what amp/cab combos, amp settings, etc. might be worth my time to check out.

Mark Day has quite a few presets on ax-change web site that I like better than the stock one. Try a bunch of presets from other people on there. I usually try out presets till I find one thats close to what I like and then make it my own by tweaking them. Look at how other people set their presets and try to find things you can use and it helps you learn how to tweak. Come to the forum and read a lot it helps you learn things too, I come here two or three times a day theres always something new to learn.

Hmm, I'll have to download all that I can find from him and see what else he has come up with. I'm definitely tempted to just overwrite all my stock presets with everyone's new 18+ FW presets from the exchange just to see what people come up with and how. Sometimes I read different posts on the forum regarding how this or that amp sounds amazing, but then I struggle to set up a decent tone when I choose it. I know it's not the amp, because then when I hear an audio clip of it I know it can sound good. It's just my lack of knowledge on how to get to that end state tone with so many millions of tweaks and combinations possible.

"Modern Sabbath" is one I really liked

Will definitely check it out! Thanks for the suggestion

As a new guy as well who spent the whole day doing patches, I'd say try an amp you think you'll like and try a bunch of different cabs. I've gotten some pretty good presets done just like that, and adding a little delay. This thing is a friggin blast to use.

Wanted to find out if anyone knows if Mark Day ever posted the "silent running solo preset" from Mike and the Mechanics YouTube video anywhere. Can't find it on Axe Change.

Please let me know if anyone has it or knows where to get it.

Thanks.

Wanted to find out if anyone knows if Mark Day ever posted the "silent running solo preset" from Mike and the Mechanics YouTube video anywhere. Can't find it on Axe Change.

Please let me know if anyone has it or knows where to get it.

Thanks.

Not sure, but also note that Mark Day uses an XL these days which blows for us "poor" Mk I/II people ;)

So I just got the axe fx ii 2 weeks ago and really like the 'mark day's hbe' preset. I've heard a lot of people say that the presets don't hold a candle to the tone you can achieve on your own so I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some better exchange presets or setup ideas given my gravitation towards this stock one.

If not, any suggestion for someone who loves the tones of nuno, tremonti, and early evh would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Here is a good starting vid for you:

Back
Top Bottom